Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/5/2005 7:17:32 AM EDT
I just ordered my first ak, as it is a VEPR K in 7.62x39, I want to treat it like my AR's (of course). I want it to have the best mags with less overall failure rate, is there a brand or maybe something I should look for when ordering mags?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#1]
ANY imported mag is a "Mil Spec" item.  why? because they actually come from military stocks.  occasionally you will find a bad one(less than a 5% incidence in my experience) but the general rule of thumb is that if it isnt made in the USA it is a great mag.  

now lets put it in AR15 owner terminology:
imported "communist dog" magazines are "X-treme, super reliability, high impact, n00b owning, super duper X-treme tactical, dynamic super magazines that will increase the size of your manhood and make you lose weight overnight!"

ok?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:23:58 AM EDT
[#2]
so I guess these are not good then?

Brownells
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Brownells

Run away. Very fast. They may look like Bulgarian polys but they are NOT.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Brownells

Do not buy any AK magazines made in the USA. Period.
Buy the real thing, which are Bulgarian made, extremely reliable and cost about the same. K-Var.Com used to carry them. I have 10 of them and they are super reliable.
And don't treat your AK like an AR. Sure clean it, but please don't add a flashlight and about five other million gadjets on it. Its just useless, and most real shooters will tell you straight up "That crap is useless".
Not trashing anybody, just telling you what I've read and know from experience.

PS: Enjoy your rifle and shoot as much as you can afford to improve your skills! The more you shoot the better you will get.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:33:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Brownells

Yes, those are piece of shit IMHO.
I had three and sold them (almost give away) to one of the dealer at Gunshow.
There are countless amount of quality AK mags out there... why mess with POS?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:39:11 AM EDT
[#6]
USGI AK-47 mags? surely you are joking
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Agreed...Total crapola.

The one I got to test ended up in a 12 ton press "just to see".

Get the bulgies, or stick with metal.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Agreed...Total crapola.

The one I got to test ended up in a 12 ton press "just to see".

Get the bulgies, or stick with metal.

Pics?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Chinese, Bulgarian, Romainian, Russian, they're all good, they all work.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#10]
why anyone in their right mind, would pay 28 bucks for a POS US made AK mag, when foreign made military mags are cheap and realiable, is a mystery to me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
why anyone in their right mind, would pay 28 bucks for a POS US made AK mag, when foreign made military mags are cheap and realiable, is a mystery to me.

i imagine some people look at the 3 us parts they can get away with and think- "it can't be that bad". its crossed my mind before, but then i get on here and go "no..it can be that bad"

a pity, that would be a wonderful way to get some parts going.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i imagine some people look at the 3 us parts they can get away with and think- "it can't be that bad". its crossed my mind before, but then i get on here and go "no..it can be that bad"

a pity, that would be a wonderful way to get some parts going.

Thats true, but Bulgarians make magazines for the Army! while this US company makes it to make money. Big difference.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#13]
United States Government Issue AK mags???
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thats true, but Bulgarians make magazines for the Army! while this US company makes it to make money. Big difference.

oh yeh. i agree compltetely, the army mil surplus mags are going to be FAR better than anything else, but like i said, when people wonder why, its really simple in my eyes. half of your parts are right there to make it legal for a build. 2/3rds with the reciever.  if you get a us made poly set or even ironwood designs you would have a swell looking gun and fully legal to boot. and a magazine...well thats easy to use...how hard would it be to screw that up.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Damn, I didnt know that the USA was the only country with an "Army"!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Actually there is, sort of. Depends on how you look at it.

Romanian AKMSs and East German AKS74s are pretty much the standard "USGI" AK rifles used for training purposes for US Troops.

Not to mention the ones that the US Military buys to give to other countries as aid. Arsenal of Bulgaria for example, is actually listed as a US Gov't contractor.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Sure clean it, but please don't add a flashlight and about five other million gadjets on it. Its just useless, and most real shooters will tell you straight up "That crap is useless".

Now that you've shared that pearl of wisdom with us, you'd better call the pentagon and tell them how fucked up the US military is.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sure clean it, but please don't add a flashlight and about five other million gadjets on it. Its just useless, and most real shooters will tell you straight up "That crap is useless".

Now that you've shared that pearl of wisdom with us, you'd better call the pentagon and tell them how fucked up the US military is.

the US military is issuing AKM rifles now?  wow!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Boy, it's nice how everyone groups the AR guys into a nice little vain-must-buy-gadgets-and-spend-money group, even a guy that says FIRST THING that he just ordered an AK

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#23]

....why you wanna do that? Who wants to treat the class whore like the prom queen? Take that AK out, and bone'it like you own'it!. THAT is what they were made for! Buy any non US made AK mag, and you will be fine! Treat that rifle like the slut that it is!

...oh yeah!....WELCOME to the dark side! MUAHAhahahahahha!....leave the prom queen at the house....the trailer trash beckons!

I love it!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Welcome To The Dark Side, Donovan!I have several AKs and several tricked out ARs,take pride in your new AK but don't baby it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:35:29 AM EDT
[#25]
USGI AK-47 mags?

NO F-NO there is mo such thing
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:06:28 AM EDT
[#26]
thank you guys!!!!! I will hopefully enjoy my new VEPR as soon as it gets here. I meant it like USGI mags because those are the best for it (ar15), thank you for correcting me, I meant GI mags. I am a dealer for brownells and get those for only $14 instead of the retail $28 I thought I could save some money and just put them on my account card. I am currently looking for websites that sell matched, meaning all the same brand or depot mags. I am trying to find metal mags in new condition or brand new unissued mags.................If this is the "darkside", I will be here forever........
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:01:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:32:13 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Go easy on him boys......AR guys are fanatics about USGI mags for their AR's, and with good reason, since they are the ones that usually run.

Donovan is making a switch to the Darkside and just wanted some mags that would be the equivalent in quality to what he's used to having to search for for his AR, that's all.

Support a newbie guys, he did after all get himself an AK.  

+1

It is truely embarassing how many members will jump on a newbie as soon as they perceive "weakness".

Time and time again it seems to be primarily the resident "post whores" are the pack leaders in this
stupidity...

If the members who are guilty of this type of conduct would spend the same amount of time trying to be truely helpful instead of truely condescending then ARFCOM would be a better place.

LB
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:58:25 AM EDT
[#29]
LOL, if you think we give guys crap on the "Darkside" then try taking a walk through the "Lightside", those guys are nuts ...  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:06:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I agree, buy the original ones and stay away from US made ones.  Why take a chance.  I purchased 10 of the Romy 40 rounders for $10 each and they have been great.

Also, you don't have to treat your AK like an AR.  I was at the range one day and my Romy AK fell on the concrete.  I picked it up and could not tell where it had been smacked.  Just went back to shooting.

Oh yea, you can shoot steel cased ammo all day long without worry.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:41:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Go easy on him boys......AR guys are fanatics about USGI mags for their AR's, and with good reason, since they are the ones that usually run.

Donovan is making a switch to the Darkside and just wanted some mags that would be the equivalent in quality to what he's used to having to search for for his AR, that's all.

Support a newbie guys, he did after all get himself an AK.  

+1

It is truely embarassing how many members will jump on a newbie as soon as they perceive "weakness".

Time and time again it seems to be primarily the resident "post whores" are the pack leaders in this
stupidity...

If the members who are guilty of this type of conduct would spend the same amount of time trying to be truely helpful instead of truely condescending then ARFCOM would be a better place.

LB

I agree,the situation on the AR side,IMO,is getting worse.We,on the Dark Side,have always taken pride in welcoming new AK affectionados and helping as best we can.We'll have to take care not to let our side of the site slip into a hostile environment.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top