Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/4/2005 6:31:43 PM EDT
Is there anyway to get these boogers sharp?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Not much.  You have to remember their purpose.  Primary uses are wire cutters and bayonet, not knife.  When you have 7+ pounds of rifle behind the thrust, it doesn't need to be very sharp to penetrate.  Sharpness is actually a liability when the blade is going to be used in what would be abuse for a knife.  Also, as a wire-cutter, the steel is pretty hard and it doesn't sharpen easily.

You're best off leaving it alone.  They don't make good knives.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I was wondering that myself....going to check out some hunting places to see if they do that
I got an AK bayonet on my russian chest rig...pretty damn useless though

I have actually tried with a sharpening kit...to no avail
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#3]
One I futzed with a few years back wouldn't hold a decent edge no matter what I did.  I ended up using a sharpened M1 Carbine bayonet as my general camp knife though, and that works out real well.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:10:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I used a dremel with a sanding attachment to get a better edge then course sanding stone then a finer stone. Will shave the hair off your arm. What’s the point if it’s not sharp other than for sticking and cutting wires. Now it can be used for so much more skinning, gutting, slicing, you get the idea
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:14:57 AM EDT
[#5]
They were ment to puncture..The reason is it's harder to sew up a tear punture than a sharp clean cut punture..
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#6]
 I used one of those green cut off discs on an electric drill, the flat of the disc.  Then a file and a diamond stone.  I just followed the one sided bevel and got it sharp enough to be a good heavy duty knife.  Do the bevels on the point section (clip point blade) by hand only.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top