Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 7:58:44 PM EDT
Not an experienced AK guy, but I was thinking about a Vector for my next purchase and wanted to see if this was a good choice.  Don't want anything fancy, just a good shooter that will be reliable and fun.

I noticed that the current builds are different from some of the older guns.  Which is a more desireable receiver, the OOW or the newer Global builds, and why?  Also I've read that the older guns use a Polish AKMS kit, while the newer kits are of a different origin and model.  Is there any real difference?  Only thing I noticed was that the stock looks like it sags when extended on the newer guns.

So if you had your choice, would you take an older Vector with the OOW rec. and the Polish kit, or a new gun with the Global rec. and the other kits?

Finally,  any particular problems with the quality of these builds?  Like I said, I'm not a knowledgeable AK guy, so I want something that will work well out of the box.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#1]
A Vector on a Global receiver would be my recommendation for a shooter.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless you have your heart set on the cool factor of an underfolder I would suggest the Vector classic with the fixed stock if you are going to shoot a lot.  I know a lot of guys say they have no problem shooting their underfolder but after about 400 rounds my experience is the underfolder is not very comfortable.  I have a K98, Garand and FAL so I don't think I am recoil sensitive.   Also the fixed stock Vector should be less expensive and easier to find.  If you get an underfolder the one with the "droop" may be more comfortable to shoot.  As far as workmanship and reliability my Vector is great.  HTH  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my Vector underfolder. It is a OOW/Polish.

The Global receivers are supposed to be better, though.  The hole for the safety lever on OOW receivers is offset from the correct position, so when the rifle is on safe, there is a gap between the  safety lever and the dust cover
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:04:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy one of the Polish underforlder kits and have it built to your specs using a 1.0mm receiver from Global (Armory USA). I had Chris Butler build me one and I enjoy shooting the underfolder. Chris would be more expensive, but you would have a better high quality firearm when he delivers it to you.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top