Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 3:54:55 PM EDT
Hi,

I have a few questions about that Saiga 12.

What is the newest version of the Saiga 12?

I dont know much about shot guns...so where exactly is the choke?

What barrel lengths is the Saiga 12 avaible in?  Ive seen them in 22inch....but is there a shorter one availble without having to have the barrel shortened?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What is the newest version of the Saiga 12?

The newest version available to civilians in the USA is the same as has always been - the "sporter" style with traditional shotgun stock. The newest version in Russia is the "Saiga-12S Exp. Model 30", aka the "Saiga SWAT". Pistol grip, folding stock, new gas block, top cover and magwell.  Doubt we'll ever see 'em here, though.

I dont know much about shot guns...so where exactly is the choke?

The choke is a barrel restriction located at or near the muzzle. Can be an internal or external device, or integral to the barrel itself (commonly called a "fixed choke").

What barrel lengths is the Saiga 12 avaible in?

Factory guns are either 19" with a fixed cylinder-bore or external threaded choke, or 22" with a fixed full choke.  Either 19" model is going to be very hard to come by. Hell, even the 22"s are fairly rare right now, since the Saiga line is between importers.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup.

One other note is that the "full choke" 22" only is choked for the last 5" or so. Which means if you cut off the barrel to 18.5" or so, you'll get an Improved Cylinder choke.

I really do hope we get to see the Saiga SWAT in the US, but I doubt it. I've done the conversion on mine and it des alright.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a model with a 19" barrel and a full choke.  Here's a list of the versions that have been available in the US (from www.saiga-12.com)

The most common models that are available in US to common people:

Barrel          Barrel Type      Choke          Sights

24" bbl Non-treaded Fixed / Full Fixed
22" bbl Non-treaded Fixed / Full Fixed
22" bbl Threaded 3 chokes Fixed
19" bbl Non-treaded Fixed / IC Fixed
19" bbl Non-treaded Fixed / Full Adjustable
19" bbl Threaded 1 choke Adjustable

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#4]
import has stopped for good on these things right?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
import has stopped for good on these things right?

Currently, yes. RAA has picked up the import license, but hasn't done anything yet. We'll see within the next few months.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:40:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top