Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 9:36:34 AM EDT
Hey yall,

I think I’m very close to finally acting on my urge to buy another rifle. I have a MAK-90 that I absolutely love and I definitely want more AK’s in the future. However, I was looking on www.AtlanticFirearms.com and saw a really interesting product. It was an AR-47. As the name suggests, it appears to be a hybrid of an AR-15 and an AK-47. It is made by Vulcan Armament, shoots the 7.62x39 round, and uses standard Hi-Cap AK47 mags. I had never heard/seen this type of rifle and would really like some advice. (Although, it might have too much in common with the AR-15 and piss some of you off. hereHeard anything good or bad?
Could I expect a little better accuracy than a standard AK-47? (using decent ammo)
Will it take the cheap Wolf ammunition?
Any other comments/suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Here is a link to the product page:

www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=214

PIC:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/admin/images/content/var1547.jpg
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Vulcan/Hesse

Run away, run away!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#2]
This is the second thread in as many weeks where someone said the AR-47 is made by Vulcan.  It's not.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I have no experience with Vulcan, but common knowledge here is that Vulcan weapons are problematic.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This is the second thread in as many weeks where someone said the AR-47 is made by Vulcan.  It's not.

then why is it under the listings for VULCAN ARMS???
www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/listview.asp

ETA: yours may not be a VULCAN - "The Weapons of the Special Forces", but the ones at atlantic firearms are.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I have no idea but this is the company that is making and selling the lowers.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no idea but this is the company that is making and selling the lowers.

There's more parts to a rifle than the lower.

I'd tolerate a Vulcan lower before I tolerated a Vulcan upper.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#7]
the idea really interests me, i'd like to know more about it. i'd love to be able to be able to use all my ak mags in more than just my aks. i think it would definately be a neat one to have in the closet. i'm also interested in more info.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know if Hesse/Vulcan copied/licenced the design, but it's a Special Weapons gun originally.  Not much better, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#10]
It doesn't even come with sights, that inaccurate so why bother.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'd tolerate a Vulcan lower before I tolerated a Vulcan upper.

Personally, I wouldn't tolerate either for an AR type

As for the Special Weapons connection.....Yes, the lower is marked "Special Weapons Inc.".  It is  Baily's design but it is not made in his shop.  SW was marketing complete weapons when it first hit the market a few years ago.  I have no idea if he is still doing so.  I heard some bad things about these guns but I have never seen one in person so I have no first hand knowledge.  Mine was purchased from Michael's stripped.  I did all the assembly using a Model 1 upper.  Considering the amount of work I had to do and subsequent "tweaking" to get it to run, I would be very hesitant buying a complete rifle from anybody.  As for the Atlantic gun pictured, it is obviously using another type upper of which I am not familiar.  Maybe it is a Vulcan, I don't know or care.  I wouldn't own any Vulcan AR parts to save my life but thats just me.

The AR-47 is a cool oddity, nothing more.  It doesn't replace an AR or an AK.  It's just different.  If you have an extra grand to blow on a new toy, I say go for it.  If you are looking for and AR or an AK, don't consider one.  Thats my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#12]
For all that is holy NOOOOOOOOO!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#13]
if you value your upper torso....don't do it
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:15:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I just picked up a copy of Special Weapons magazine last night and they're is an artical on this gun in there, havn't read it yet though. If it's completely horrible, I'll post an update......
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I just picked up a copy of Special Weapons magazine last night and they're is an artical on this gun in there, havn't read it yet though. If it's completely horrible, I'll post an update......

I would definitely be interested to hear what the article says. Regardless if it is good or bad. I'm sure others would be interested as well. Let us know....
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I think the rifle looks too hacked together to consider buying.  As mentioned earlier if it was on a standard AR lower I could see considering it, but not the crap that they slung together.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Why the hell would someone want an AR in 7.62x39? You lose the accuracy advantage of an AR and you lose the reliability advantage of the AK. It's absolutely retarded.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok, read the artical.......gave an OK review, but along the lines of what everyone else is thinking...WHY?

A few quotes.......

" Marketed by Tactical Weapons Training Acedemy, the AR-47 uses a new dedicated lower receiver not unlike the $50,000 test rifle. (referring to the Army's SPR program....AR platform in 7.62x39 that could be used behind enemy lines....) With a special wide magazine well and amidextrous flipper style magazine release, this lower receiver accepts a standard 10 or 30-shot AK-47 magazine.......................
   The special AR-47 lower receiver group fits right into a conventional AR-15 upper receiver, but the upper requires certain modifications to work with the AK47 magazine. Most notably, the inside of the upper receiver has to be relieved on both sides to allow clearance for the wider AK47 magazine that also sits higher than an AR15 magazine......................
     Firing the AR-47 brought few surprises. Using the 10 round magazinefurnished and the 30 rounder that was "happy" in the gun provided flawless function. Even without a muzzle brake, recoil seemed no more than that from a standard AK47 or a Colt 7.62x39mm carbine. Accuracvy proved very good out to 100 yards with gun pruducing 3-shot groups averaging about 2.5 inches.............
     Wether the AR47 will remain an interesting novelty or become popular with American law enforcement will be interesting to watch. Although AK47 variants are plentiful in the US, the AR15 type system offers mounting solutions not possible with the AK........."

Ok, my non-typing skillz are shot.................

Looks interesting, but I think I'll stick to my SAR-1..............
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:10:19 AM EDT
[#20]
If it is not vulcan I would love to have one.

Wow. Only a one year warranty from the factory. It does not show much confidence on their part does it?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:19:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:25:45 AM EDT
[#22]
i'm attracted to the idea because i like being able to interchange as much between my guns as possible, less magazines to worry about when i go out shooting. also, there is just something sexy about the SR47 and this reminds me of it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:42:50 AM EDT
[#23]
IM SORRY, BUT THAT PICTURE UP THERE DISTURBS ME!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:21:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Are these any better?

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are these any better?

www.autoglassparts.com/ar47d.jpg

www.autoglassparts.com/ar47web1.jpg

no...they aren't... that face doesn't look ANYTHING like me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I dunno man, it would kick the crap out of a .223 with a 10 inch barrel.  an interesting oddity for sure.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#27]
A Registered DIAS or LL would be cool.

I think I would be worried about running crummy East Block ammo thru the AR gas system though. I once had an AR that froze shut after using cheapo 3rd world surplus....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#28]
i have an M16 set up w/DPMS upper in 7.62x39 & i beat the crap out of it. shoot nothing but the cheapest ammo i can find. goes each year with one cleaning. pretty gummy last spring, so i broke down and cleaned it. about 3000 rounds. not up to an AK, but good enough for me. it runs like a top.

anyone have a pic of the $50k test rifle the army had? who made it?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
i have an M16 set up w/DPMS upper in 7.62x39 & i beat the crap out of it. shoot nothing but the cheapest ammo i can find. goes each year with one cleaning. pretty gummy last spring, so i broke down and cleaned it. about 3000 rounds. not up to an AK, but good enough for me. it runs like a top.

anyone have a pic of the $50k test rifle the army had? who made it?

Knights armament made it.

Pic from Quaterbore.com-

quarterbore.com/kac/sr47.html
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:11:48 AM EDT
[#30]
I found this post late but these guns are a whole lot of fun.  Anybody with a 6.62x39 AR-15 knows that the biggest problem wit those are finding good mags as the supply of franken mags is limited.  AK mags on the other hand always seem to work or at least I don't think in the hundred + AK mags I own that I have ever found one that has a problem.

Combine the AK mags with the modular features with the AR-15 and this is the beast you get...

My AR-47 came with an oper Colt "C" boltcarrier so I have not been able to use mine with the Lightning Link yet but it was the fact that I own the LL that I wanted the abuility to use my inexpensive AK mags in full Rock and Roll that turned me on to the system.

I have looked at the lower and it would also be quite easy to modify the mag latch and have these work with 5.45x39 with a new barrel...  I have a second stripped AR-47 lower that I will try to do this with in the future but too many ongoing projects to even consider that at this time...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:40:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I think it's a cool idea. I'd love to have a 7.62x39mm AR15 but don't like the aforementioned frankenmags.

I would like it better if it had a real FSB instead of the gay railed thing. I swear if there is one-half square inch of surface area, those silly AR guys will slap a rail on it

How about a 14.5" barrel and permanently attached FH?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
You have to compare a few $40 frankenmags to run the upper on a std AR lower, to about $250 street price for the AR47 lower, plus $100 more to get the rest of the lower's parts. The carrier needs a bit of trimming to clear mags in the AR47 lower, but more of a step than problem since this is a dedicated upper anyway.

I bought a Colt 7.62x39 upper last year, it even feeds about 80% of hp ammo, gets about 2moa on about any ammo. It is very nice, but I prefer my SAM7SF, so it is going up for sale.

I believe jt325i has an AR47, may be off on the screen name, but he has enjoyed his for 'lots of abuse' in SW OH.

Yeah I have one..... I wouldn't say "abuse" but I've put 1,000 rounds of Wolf (the old stuff) through it without any trouble. I already have regular AR's & AK's. Since I already had plenty of mags & ammo but like the ergonomics of the AR, it seemed logical to me. I know Special Weapons had Michael's Machines making them. Sounds like Vulcan bought the tooling & is making their own version now. Mine is very nicely finished & everything fit together without problems. Can't comment on the one from Atlantic. The price is a couple hundred dollars less than what I paid though! Course with that one you're going to have to spend some money on sights or an optic of some sort.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#34]
If only someone would put this combo together....

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#35]
I notice the Atlantic rifle uses a thicker upper receiver. (Because the inside is milled to allow the AK mag to fit properly). The downside is the one they chose lacks a dust cover.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:01:29 AM EDT
[#36]
I talked to micheal at www.ar47.com about the AR-47 offered at atlanticfirearms.com.  He says he owns the patent on the stripped lower and that it is his.  He does not know who the uppers, internals, or who has done the mod to the bolt.  I have emailed atlantic asking them these questions.  No answer so far.
Mike said that if does the mod to the bolt he guarantees no feeding problems.  I really want one of these, mainly to maximise my ammo and clips.  If anyone has tried the one from atlantic please let me know.  I am not finding many cheap uppers in 7.62x39  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:08:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
i'm attracted to the idea because i like being able to interchange as much between my guns as possible, less magazines to worry about when i go out shooting. also, there is just something sexy about the SR47 and this reminds me of it.

Then buy another AK
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#38]
I would just buy an AK.

Thats just me.

Max
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I would just buy an AK.

Thats just me.

Max

And for the price, a NICE AK.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah i plan on picking up another AK.  BUt come on, how many Aks can you own.  I do like having a couple so i can rotate them and let them cool off.  This gun is a totally different beast.  Great concept and a nice gun to add to collection (that is if it does not suck)
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top