Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 5:32:09 AM EDT
I am not here to endorse buying from global trades or Joeken.. but just to show what the LATEST Eubanks Gen2 receivers look like compared to a Global trades/ArmoryUSA 1.0mm receiver.

The Eubanks (gen2) is the one on the bottom

Please notice in the picture, the Gen2 still has the stretched trigger axis holes. This is from the bending proccess and is do to using prepunched flats.
Joe informed me that they will be changing the dies so that this is punched (not machined like Global trades) after the receiver is bent.

The Gen2 still has the bending jig holes (aka drain holes) in the bottom.  These are seen at the front and rear of the receiver
This will also be fixed on the next die change.  Global trades has these, but they are in spots that get machined out.

Please note that the Gen2 is a Single hook trigger set up, just like the original receivers.
Also all the info on the Gen2 is on the bottom.

In the above picture you can see the Stepped Top rail.

GEN2 - they corrected the issue with the front lip

Global Trades

And the last thing

DIMPLES
The Gen2 is on the bottom.

Here is a picture of a REAL Russian AKM, made in Izhmash 1970

As you can see the dimple on the Gen2 is MUCH closer to the original Russian dimple then the GT1.0

Overall, The Gen 2 is a HUGE improvement over the Gen 1.
IMHO, it is a great receiver.  As for heattreat issues, I got in 6 receivers in this order.  All 6 of them are straight

Now, for those who don't like to deal with Joeken, don't worry...
Our buddy Scott @ www.dpharms.com is stocking them now.
Note: Dpharms is currently sold out, but is expecting more

Member of

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:13:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the pics Drugrunr
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:20:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:27:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the review. I don't know why folks are so annoyed by the Global Trades/Armory USA magazine dimples. I find the awry axis pin holes on the Ewbanks receiver more disturbing. Dimples of any shape and contour will work just fine as long as they are deep enough. Improperly drilled axis pins make the difference between a reliable weapon and a large paperweight. Apparently both receiver brands have dedicated fans, so they must work rather well regardless of these flaws.

Galland

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#4]
How are the Eubanks receivers stamped? Exactly what markings are on them?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You see the same pictures I do right?  Then you should be able to see every angle for stamping marks.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#6]
In the front lip pic of the GT you can sort of see one of my 2 gripes with the receiver I got: a burr running the length of the top rail.  My other complaint with the GT was that it was slightly warped.  The whole thing leaned to one side slightly and the bottom was arched up.
Are the spotwelds on the Eubanks as rough as they look in the first pic?
Based on your pics, I'd still order the GT right now, because I really don't like the "drain holes" and I would return something with an axis pin hole like that.
I'll be very interested to see the Gen 3.  I assume they'll call it Gen 3 when the drain holes go away and the axis pin hole isn't stretched?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:14:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Both of them can be used to build great guns.
It is all preference at this point.
As far as markings go, the pictures show all of them.
The only stamps on the Gen2 is on the bottom in the front.
Unlike the Global, which has the stuff on the side, and then the armory stamp on the bottom.

I have put about 600 rounds or so thru a gen1 with NO issues at all with hardness.
I have done the same with the Global and they look the same too.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You see the same pictures I do right?  Then you should be able to see every angle for stamping marks.

Yes, I see them Einstein, but I can't read all the stampings clearly. Thanks for nothing!!

Now, can anyone tell me if "AK or AK74 of AK47" is stamped anywhere on them please if it's not too much trouble??
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Got a fuzzy monitor or bad vision?
The only thing close to what you're asking about is on the Ewbanks.  It says "EMAKM".  Calibers are marked on both.  No 47 or 74 on either that I see.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I see them Einstein, but I can't read all the stampings clearly. Thanks for nothing!!

Now, can anyone tell me if "AK or AK74 of AK47" is stamped anywhere on them please if it's not too much trouble??

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Wrap it up however you want-Eubanks = Hessee = Joeken = Vulcan.  It's all the same.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:08:17 AM EDT
[#11]
The only thing I can't deal with is the really wrong dimples on the Global receiver.  I know it makes no functional difference, just as having no dimples at all doesn't affect the fuctionality of the WASR rifle.  But the Global dimple is just so wrong it stands out like a puss dripping sore.  Why couldn't they get that right?  God knows it's not from a lack of proper examples.  I've asked them several times and still haven't got a real answer from them.  They'll tell me why they won't fix it now, but why was it made so very wrong in the first place?  How can something that obviously wrong slip by?  I'd buy several of them if they'd only made that right.  It's like building an exact 65 Mustang copy and then putting Corvette fenders on it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:50:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Eubanks has Armory USA beat on dimples. I like OOW's dimple the best as far as USA made receivers
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't even think the Eubanks dimples look that correct either.  At least the Global dimples look clean albeit not exactly correct.  I think it was Jnewt that had a picture showing the Global dimples compared to those on a Romanian manufactured receiver and they looked fairly close.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

that is what is on the eubanks.
Don't know how I can make it any CLEARER

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the review.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes, thanks for the review... I have built a couple on OOW receivers... are these better for the selector hole?  That is my only real gripe with the OOW receivers..
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Both dimples look like crap. The Global one looks like they didnt even try.....
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Good review. I should have Scott’s last three Ewbanks receivers here today or tomorrow and build on them this weekend. I’ll post my impressions as well. I hate the "drain hole", but that is much easier to fix than the FUGLY dimples and writing on the GT.

I think the same thing others have said- why in the hell would you do something like that to an AK receiver? It would have been so easy to just do it right.

Thanks Charles
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#20]
The jig holes arent too bad considering the one is covered by the pistol grip, so only one shows.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#21]
The dimples on both are not correct but I like the ones on the Ewbank Mfg. receiver a bit more.  I had a manufacturer check out the Ewbank receiver and he pointed out things he did not like about the receiver.  

1.  The jig alignment holes.  To me these are not a big deal.  One ends up covered by the pistol grip.  If it is a real big deal to you, don't buy them.

2.  The lack of the stamp (reinforcement?) in the ejector rail.

3.  His concern that the metal used in the receiver is not up to the quality of the Global Trades receiver.

4.  His concern that the heat treatment of the Ewbanks Mfg. receiver is not up to par with the Global Trades receiver.

5.  The trigger axis hole.  He did fit a FCG and selector in the receiver and everything was lined up correctly.

He did feel that there would not be a problem with a build by the cursory look at the receiver.

Things about the Ewbanks Mfg. receiver I believe are better than the Global Trades receiver. Placement of the serial number info.

Things about the Ewbanks Mfg. receiver which are better than the OOW receivers.
Has X & Y on trigger and hammer holes.  Placement of serial number and manufacturers info forward of the magazine well and the full heat treatment if the receiver is actually heat treated correctly.  Time will tell if these receivers will really hold up to abuse or if they are much like the old B-West receivers which were certainly lacking in quality.  No gap between the selector and the top cover on the 7.62x39 receiver as on the OOW.

Of course for those of us that don't want to bend and heat treat our own flats, we have to select from one of the three currently available.

www.k-varcorp.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1980
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#22]

3. His concern that the metal used in the receiver is not up to the quality of the Global Trades receiver.

4. His concern that the heat treatment of the Ewbanks Mfg. receiver is not up to par with the Global Trades receiver.

What were the hardness ratings of both or how he was able to tell?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:24:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Stottman....  I didn't say the eubanks was perfect.. I just said it looked more correct IMHO.

Mbsk01.......

Which one do I recommend?
That is a loaded question.
The ONLY issue I have with a Global trades 1.0, is the markings.
Jimmy will custom do receivers for a little more that have ALL the marking on the bottom in front of the mag well.
With that in mind, I prefer a Global Trades 1.0

Now, Will a eubanks make a good long lasting gun.. YEP.. they will

I put a GEN1 to the test
Test gun was a AMD pistol with a AK74 lower wooden handguard.
500 rounds in under 15 mins.
The lower handguard almost caught on fire.  It smoked and burnt on the inside.
Took gun apart...  NO WEAR at all

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:01:21 AM EDT
[#24]
DrugRunR,

Do the Ewbanks receivers have stepped rails?  It kinda looked like they might in your pics but it was kinda hard for me to tell. I know the Globals have them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#25]
For being AK guys, y'all certainly get wound up about cosmetics!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
For being AK guys, y'all certainly get wound up about cosmetics!

Now, if I am going to drag my AK around in the dirt, toss it in the trunk, and splash it in the mud to get that real AK look... I need my dimples to look right... don't I?

Yea, not all builds really matter but for more of a special build that will be more of a range or safe queen I know I would like to have a few receivers that are as correct as possible...  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:04:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Hello guys, I don't post too often, but I've been around for a bit. So far I've built six AKs on Global receivers and I have been very satisfied with all of them. These were my first builds of AKs by the way. I quickly learned that Global receivers are really hardened all over. Used up lots of cheap drill bits and cutting oil just to get the holes drilled. I finally abandoned my drill press in favor of my milling machine just so I could use some good carbide end mills to get the holes "drilled".  All of my builds have been for either side folder stocks or underfolders, so I've had to do quite a bit of alteration to the rear trunnion areas of the receivers.
Since I haven't used any other receivers.....I'm not qualified to comment on the other brands. I do have a question or two.
DrugRunR: In your great comparison posting with pictures (thanks)....second picture down....I notice that the Gen2 receiver doesn't have a relief cut in the top left flange, for the bolt lug to drop into during assembly. Is this a concern. Of course I know that all it takes is a dremel, file, or endmill to add this relief cut, but is it common to have to do that ? I have had to take a small file and "dress" the inside top edges of the Global receivers to smooth them a bit, and get just a little more clearance for the bolt .....otherwise the bolt is too tight and rubs too much for me. I've found that the crossbolt might be pulling the sides of the receivers in just a tad too much, and I've compensated by using my hydraulic press to take the "arc" out of the top edges of the receiver and get the sides straight. That seems to help. I guess a few hundred rounds would take care of this too !  I do like Global's double hook trigger cutout....just a bit less work to do if using Tapco's G2 double hook FCG. As far as dimples go......personally I'm not that much of a stickler for originality on these. I sort of like to believe that the larger, flatter area, of the "bottom" of Global's dimple will steady the magazine a bit more....if the mag even touches the dimples ? Just a personal preference I guess.
One last question: A few weeks ago,  I ordered a couple of M70 receives from Chris at Greenlight and I'm still waiting. Paid by postal money order. I sent him several emails and it's been weeks.... and still no reply. Did I see something about out of spec trigger holes? I wish he'd just respond to my emails...along with the hundreds of emails he's probably getting. Thanks, TANKER
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top