Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/30/2005 4:46:20 PM EDT
Something I have been wondering about for a long time...Why is there not a Flash hider on "Real" AK47's or AK74's?  I know that the 74 has a muzzle brake but was just curious as to why the (Fill in country that makes/uses AK's) for their military does not use a FH instead?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#1]
AKs dont have a huge amount of flash in the full size trim.

and the bulgarians do have flash hiders on the new ones
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
AKs dont have a huge amount of flash in the full size trim.

and the bulgarians do have flash hiders on the new ones

Because most of the powder is burnt up by the time it exits the barrel?

Ben
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Years ago I read a good article in Guns & Ammo comparing the AK-47 and M-16 rifles.

The article mentioned that the AKs had no flash suppresors because the tactics used by the Soviets were very different than those used by the U.S.

They pretty much summed it up by saying that the Soviets were not concerned with taking on mass casualties and thus were not worried about installing suppresors knowing that they could save some money in exchange for a few more casualties.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Years ago I read a good article in Guns & Ammo comparing the AK-47 and M-16 rifles.

The article mentioned that the AKs had no flash suppresors because the tactics used by the Soviets were very different than those used by the U.S.

They pretty much summed it up by saying that the Soviets were not concerned with taking on mass casualties and thus were not worried about installing suppresors knowing that they could save some money in exchange for a few more casualties.

You realize your first mistake was believing anything ever written in Guns and Ammo, right?

If that wqs truly the case, why did they even bother to go with an assulat rifle?  Save ammo and just keep using bolt action rifles....sure more guys will get killed, but the rifles are less expensive and there are plenty left over from world war II...

To be honest, can anyone name a weapon developed before the 1950's that was designed with a  flash supressor on it?  Many muzzles were bare, and a few had compensators, but I can't honestly think of one with a flash supressor before the FAL and M1A rifles.  I think the answer is that in 1947 when the rifle was developed it really wasn't viewed as necessary.

[ETA]  Yes, I am aware they made flash hiders for the M1 Garand sniper rifles and for the grease gun, but those were "afterthought" type clamp on items.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I just don't believe it was a issue in the design of the rifle to have a flash suppresor....so why even bother to put them on. the soviet mentality was, and probably still remain, "it's good enough", for the purpose intended, mass attack, and firepower....so why even bother putting a FH on it? it isn't like they don't know we're here. as funny as it may sound, a lot of  new weapon design that came up for review in earlier years, were usually looked over by a board of officers in the ordnance dept. that were pretty much set in their ways, and didn't like new fangled things, , and they will put in their 2 cents in the design like, "they didn't have that when I was a infantry commander, so why do the hell do they want it now?"
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I never seen a big flash off the AKs even at night
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Because between the sights, short barrel, and fast dropping cartridge, chances are, you're gonna be close enough that a flash hider won't help.  And with the sound of the action they're gonna know where you are anyway.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#9]
The Soviets probably aren't concerned with flash suppression because night vision isn't as prolific in their army.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The Soviets probably aren't concerned with flash suppression because night vision isn't as prolific in their army.

then why did we care when the M14 was first issued?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To prevent forest fire of course.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Couldn't tell ya, but it's apples and oranges anyway.  We're not the Soviets.  I'm just speculating why the Soviets still haven't put a flash suppressor on their AK.  They have them on their specops guns where night vision would be alot more likely.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Couldn't tell ya, but it's apples and oranges anyway.  We're not the Soviets.  I'm just speculating why the Soviets still haven't put a flash suppressor on their AK.  They have them on their specops guns where night vision would be alot more likely.  

I think they're on the RPD and SVD.

Ben
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like i said in the thread i linked to the soviets have been all about getting more controllable automatic fire. The AK replacements are proof of that.

I dont know about why they didnt use one early on, but i suspect the reason they dont use one now is because the 74 brake is quite effective, and they dont have the NVG or night fighting capability to make use of a flash suppressor. Maybe things will change and they'll go the way of bulgaria, and use both.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:01:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
...can anyone name a weapon developed before the 1950's that was designed with a  flash supressor on it?...

That's a great question.

The only ones that aren't detachable that I could think of are the conical "flash hiders" on the Enfield jungle carbines and the Bren
gun.  (Is the thing on the end of a German MG-42 supposed to dampen flash?)

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#16]
The Romainians care ... I have 2 Romy flashiders that will go on my RPK's ...

Note to self:  Try one tonight on AK ....................
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
[
I think they're on the RPD and SVD.

RPD no, SVD yes
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#18]

A very specialized assembly was devised to be used by the Polish Army for applications where a night vision sight (NSPU) was used in conjunction with the Kbk AKMN and Kbk AKMSN (PMKMS) rifle. This included a unique bipod and very rare flash suppressor, that ensured the sight was not adversely affected by the flash of the firing rifle. Notice the unique design of the bipod, that has a monopod strut for most of it's length, and then spreads into a sliding y-shaped lower section. Bipod is shown in the folded and collapsed position in the photo. Rifle pictured uses a late pattern AKM cast "transitional" gas block, used by Russia, Polish and German AKM rifles beginning in about 1972 for Russian issue weapons.

tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/parts4.html
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Garand sniper models (M1D?) and M1 carbine sniper models ( I know, don't laugh but they made them) had a conical style flash hider also........but not exactly high production number guns.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top