Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/17/2005 10:31:26 AM EDT
ETA: Greentimber, if you have any pics of the kits you've gotten could you post some?

Yeah, incase you guessed I'm getting a little anxious to see mine. I purchased an "A" grade kit, FWIW. I sent the money Friday, so I hope it's atleast halfway there.

On a plus side, JNEWT said my mags from the AK mag GB should be shipping later this week.

ben
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I already started to gunkote mine so it probably wont be a good candidate to show the finish.  mine had 98-99% of its original finish, the wood was in need of some fresh shellac but then again this thing was made in 1981, so thats to be expected, the only bad part of the wood was one small(1/8" round) dent in the forward pistol grip, and a slight amount of scorching on the stock inside of the receiver stub where the demil guy got a bit too close with the gas axe.  this should make for one fine shooting rifle, the bore looks absolutely unused and this rifle has nothing but arsenal wear.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#3]
my camera USB cable is AWOL.....but they are top shelf kits man....excellent condition...the finish is usual Romy black parkerized looking, not smooth satin like the PMKMS but still really nice for $100

I am a repeat buyer of these things..don't worry they are worth the wait
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I already started to gunkote mine so it probably wont be a good candidate to show the finish.  mine had 98-99% of its original finish, the wood was in need of some fresh shellac but then again this thing was made in 1981, so thats to be expected, the only bad part of the wood was one small(1/8" round) dent in the forward pistol grip, and a slight amount of scorching on the stock inside of the receiver stub where the demil guy got a bit too close with the gas axe.  this should make for one fine shooting rifle, the bore looks absolutely unused and this rifle has nothing but arsenal wear.

Got pics anyways? Would love to see it.

Ben
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a pic of one of the B kits that I built in the picture thread, last page.  I'll shoot some pics of the kit when I get off work tonite.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#6]
they are comparable to the kit pictures he has on DPHARMS.COM
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#7]
bump

ben
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I would kind of like to see some pics of these kits as well.  Ones received NOT from the ad.  Sorry, they are usually a tad different.

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Got mine today, and it is damned nice.. Near everything is numered, and they all match..

Wood needs refinished, but that is with all the romy kits.. All other parts are new.. No signs of even test firing..

I'mm too lazy to post pics tonight..
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Got mine today, and it is damned nice.. Near everything is numered, and they all match..

Wood needs refinished, but that is with all the romy kits.. All other parts are new.. No signs of even test firing..

I'mm too lazy to post pics tonight..

Got those pics ?

ben
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#11]
The last kit I got from Centerfire, the monkeys cut the shit out of it with the torch.  Wasted the selector stop and triggerguard was cut up.  Had to get new ones from K-VAR.  Wood was fine and everything else was like new.  I think Scott would pick out a better one if you are getting a grade A.

I'm going to probably put it up on the EE sometime as I have another kit coming of a different type and I am going to Piece of History Firearms friday with a box of AK-74 parts to have built right.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Last one I got in looked unfired.  I always refinish after a build anyway so it didn't really matter to me.  Wood quality is more important and although finish isn't great, no dings or dents.  I would imagine the 60 I have on their way will look about the same :)
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry to ask a couple stupid questions. But where are these kits listed (EE?)? And are they the same kits similiar to the ones Century and Centerfire have? If they are, but better quality, I'll send my money elsewhere....
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Last one I got in looked unfired.  I always refinish after a build anyway so it didn't really matter to me.  Wood quality is more important and although finish isn't great, no dings or dents.  I would imagine the 60 I have on their way will look about the same :)

60 kits?? If you ordered from DPH, what's your order number?

Sweet mother of all that is good and holy, WHY? No wonder my order is taking so long! . Somebody is going to be a rich man in a years' time!!

Ben
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Terry isnt the only one to order in bulk.....that is part of the reason it is taking so long...LOL

As for pics of the kits, the one on my site is an actuall kit that is representative of the kits that I am selling. I pulled it at random and took the picture. these are truly some very nice kits. Like many others have mentioned.....they are 20 years old so expect light service wear on the "A" grade kits.

Scott

Scott,

I'm really looking for like up close photos of the handguard,metal and whatnot so I know what to expect. From what I've heard from others, you can be trusted to give an accurate assesment of a kits' TRUE condition. When I receive my kit I suspect it will not be any different than what others have told me. I just need some pics to ease my anxiety. I sent off my money a week ago, I have checked my account with you guys ([email protected]) and it still says pending.

You aren't getting any RPK kits in any time soon right?

Ben
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 10:59:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Ben,

let me ease your mind...if you dont like what you get....i refund your money and pay the return shipping.

As for the RPK's, I have no plans to get any of them right now. What is your order number on my site?

Scott

Quoted:

Terry isnt the only one to order in bulk.....that is part of the reason it is taking so long...LOL

As for pics of the kits, the one on my site is an actuall kit that is representative of the kits that I am selling. I pulled it at random and took the picture. these are truly some very nice kits. Like many others have mentioned.....they are 20 years old so expect light service wear on the "A" grade kits.

Scott

Scott,

I'm really looking for like up close photos of the handguard,metal and whatnot so I know what to expect. From what I've heard from others, you can be trusted to give an accurate assesment of a kits' TRUE condition. When I receive my kit I suspect it will not be any different than what others have told me. I just need some pics to ease my anxiety. I sent off my money a week ago, I have checked my account with you guys ([email protected]) and it still says pending.

You aren't getting any RPK kits in any time soon right?

Ben

Scott,

No plans to ask for a refund if the kit I get is half of what people have said.  Perhaps I should have said "Whet my appettite" instead of "ease my anxiety". My order # is 1243.

Ben

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:04:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Scott, you have nothing to fear.. The parts are brand new. I don't think my kit has ever been fired.. The wood is dark and dirty, but it has no gouges, or dent of any kind.. It will refinish nicely..

I wish I had the cash to order 60 kits
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:28:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow, sounds good. I'll have to order a couple tonight.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:57:07 AM EDT
[#22]
scott is by far the best person to go to if he has the kit you want. got 5 coming probably next week
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 6:13:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I have no idea what my order number is......As far as you other guys....Scott did not want to deplete his stock and short you guys so mine have been drop shipped from the importer.  I just wish I had also ordered my Tantal kits from him....
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 6:34:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Here is what my kit looked like when i got it from Scott:

And this is what it is turning out to look like:

Still need to refinish all the wood and metal parts.
The kit i got from him was a grade A and it was a grade A. lol, I dont think it was ever shot outside the factory.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 6:51:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Wow, nice. The stain on the handguards and stock are very appealing.

Thanks for the pics.

Ben
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Here's mine finished.  The rivets are still in the white, not sure what I'll do about them.  Not real worried.
The worst dent on the wood is visible in the pic, right under the front sight.  It's from the front sight of another gun.  All I did to the wood was rub the finish with denatured alcohol to smooth it out and remove a lot of the superficial scratches.
Minor surface rust on the top cover and barrel.  Steel wool removed it all.  Mine's a 1981 also.  The barrel was dirty.  I didn't clean it, took it out and shot Wolf through it, it looked clean afterwards.  Ran a couple of patches through and it's bright and shiny.

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice Jim, looks great. Can't wait to see my kit.

Ben
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I received a kit yesterday. It honestly doesn't look like it has ever been fired. 99 - 100% finish and not a mark on the wood. The wood could use a good cleaning, but other than that is in great shape. The bore had residue in it, but nothing one pass with a boresnake didn't take care of. I plan on ordering more.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#29]
The kit I got was a little rough, metal finish was around 95%, there are marks on the surface of the wood but a refinish will cover them up, moving parts show some wear but are certainly serviceable, the bore was dirty when I got it, I cleaned the bore and it is perfect.  I'm satisfied with what I got from Scott, it should look real nice when I refinish it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Here is what my kit looked like when i got it from Scott:
storage.msn.com/x1pgliP38XxBL3QNVbK0kZk_pkDD3uy8kFADqluHKpKKWKsBBGyN3sc9-9cBRCdOzfQUIhDWncMXw4JkcSyLN8qFljNcrASb-YrwpQ3uWAC-DO7xm4buOAjfZ6ljuF7ozOgXcz2n7ISDi-URNFx_jvHmA
And this is what it is turning out to look like:
storage.msn.com/x1pgliP38XxBL3QNVbK0kZk_pkDD3uy8kFADqluHKpKKWL43N3tJX9BMcjRZiKTSTyMUcg5LTJXIk1tQKYOl1loJbIVJyeOiAO9ksTJs81sO_8QZA9m8lK9XpTWT31_poeHN3NMcfDWVbEnmkk50zxuJQ
Still need to refinish all the wood and metal parts.
The kit i got from him was a grade A and it was a grade A. lol, I dont think it was ever shot outside the factory.

Is the wood in the second picture the same stuff that came with the kit? Looks really nice. What kind of receiver? How's accuracy? (If you have test fired it)

Ben
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#31]
I can answer part of that for him.  Yes that's the wood.  I'm guessing he either sanded or soaked in DNA, then maybe bleached a little.  That's the method I've seend for getting the wood to look that way.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I can answer part of that for him.  Yes that's the wood.  I'm guessing he either sanded or soaked in DNA, then maybe bleached a little.  That's the method I've seend for getting the wood to look that way.

Anymore advice on how to do the wood that way? That looks pretty dang spiffy.

ben
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Here's mine finished.  The rivets are still in the white, not sure what I'll do about them.  Not real worried.
The worst dent on the wood is visible in the pic, right under the front sight.  It's from the front sight of another gun.  All I did to the wood was rub the finish with denatured alcohol to smooth it out and remove a lot of the superficial scratches.
Minor surface rust on the top cover and barrel.  Steel wool removed it all.  Mine's a 1981 also.  The barrel was dirty.  I didn't clean it, took it out and shot Wolf through it, it looked clean afterwards.  Ran a couple of patches through and it's bright and shiny.

home.insightbb.com/~jim-vicky/rom.jpg

Is that a grade A kit or a B?

Ben
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top