Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2005 8:50:14 PM EDT
Can we design an AK variant to compete with the Olympic Featherweight AR, or the Bushmaster Carbon 15?

Target weight is 5 lbs.

Some ideas:
1) Krinkov build with extended pencil barrel.  Ugly, but light
2) Aluminum/plastic mags and dust cover
3) Underfolder or plastic buttstock?
4) Some way to work aluminum into the receiver a la AR-15?
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#1]
5 pounds?
with or without ammo?

jeez, well I'm thinking you'd have to start with an AMD 65, use an aluminum barrel extension and blind pin it, put a standard rear block/tang on it with a plastic stock and a plastic lower forearm, no upper.  there is no way that I can see working aluminum into the receiver without going with a thicker cast and then machined receiver it might work but at that point you might not be any lighter than an AKM stamped receiver.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I do not think it can be done.  The AR15's lightweightedness is due to in great part by how the bolt locks up with the barrel using a barrel extention.  The receiver in an AR does not do anything other than hold it all together and does not endure the force of the cartridge going off, so it can be made of lightweight material.

the AK design uses a heavy from trunnion that the bolt locks into, his trunnion also holds the barrel, rear sight and receiver etc as well.  Its what holds the asshalf of the gun to the front half.

That and the AR shoots such a pansy little cartridge.

Link Posted: 7/5/2005 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Hollow plastic buttstock like the EG.
Polymer mags
AMD style vented aluminum or poly handguard & bare gas tube??
Ditch the cleaning rod
The cheesy AMD plastic grips feel a bit lighter than the bakelite
bare muzzle & turn the barrel down to pencil spec
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 11:25:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Best of the above on a milled titanium receiver.

Link Posted: 7/5/2005 11:42:16 PM EDT
[#5]
The only thing to make an AK lighter would be to change the stock set and mags. The receiver is already 1 mm metal.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The only thing to make an AK lighter would be to change the stock set and mags. The receiver is already 1 mm metal.

You could do like the old time hot rodders/racers did to lighten their car.....drill holes in it.  "Swiss cheese" the reciever, furniture & mag.  Olympic Arms did that to their post ban AR15 pistols to get them under the weight limit
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you Steven Hawkings? Dude, if you can't pack a Romanian AK then you've got problems.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Are you Steven Hawkings? Dude, if you can't pack a Romanian AK then you've got problems.

dude its just for fun, calm down
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you Steven Hawkings? Dude, if you can't pack a Romanian AK then you've got problems.hr

dude its just for fun, calm down

You know Steven Hawkings?h
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Steel or titanium reinforced aircraft aluminum, perhaps ?  Even though I do like the titanium receiver idea.  Combine that with plastic furniture and non-critical parts being made of lightweight alloys, might have something there.  The one thing I've never seen anybody suggest with an AK-pattern weapon...how about finding a way to mod/redesign it to use an AR-style buffer tube ?  
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Secret area 51 Titanium ak receiver photo at first stage of mfg. Used by antigrav crew members.        ( HUMAN POSSESION RESTRICTED )

http://bentmetal.homestead.com/titaniumblank.html  

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Just to drag this thread back up again, whee!

Swiss cheese method will help to some extent, but I think also fluting/turning down the barrel would be a significant gain.  I'd prefer fluting, but turning is probably slightly easier to do.  Both would be a real pain to accomplish w/o machining equipment.   Of course, plastic everything goes without saying.   I don't think a titanium stamped receiver would hold up.

Titanium isn't stronger than steel for a given volume, it's stronger than steel for a given WEIGHT.   So a milled titanium receiver might work, but a stamped probably wouldn't.  Even with the milled, you might want a hardened steel insert to brace against stretching and torsioning, and also at the holes for the stock and barrel.

it's be possible to reconfigure the AK to actually use the buffer tube, but I don't see a weight savings there.  A buffer tube assembly isn't going to weigh less than a rear trunion.  

Oh yeah...and don't make fun of Stephen Hawking! MC Hawking don't take no lip and he'll bust a cap in you!

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top