Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/12/2005 10:09:00 AM EDT
How do you clean and Lube your AK and what are Your favorite Products ?

Granted, some AK's never need cleaning .

Link Posted: 6/12/2005 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I wipe it down with a rag, toothbrush the extractor, and run a couple patches down the barrel and sometimes the gas tube.

when I'm feeling highly motivated anyway.

though I really want to see if I can use bacon grease to lube an AK, just for fun.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I cleaned it pretty well, i use a home made gun cleaner (Ed's Red). Linky For Ya
Then oiled it all up, inside and out.
Also if i shoot corrive ammo everything gets soaked with window cleaner that has ammonia.
I actually enjoy cleaning my AK... Although I know its not necessary for its functioning.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I wipe out the receiver with a patch that has some powder solvent, then I scrub the muzzle break down with a brush.  After that I clean out the gas tube and gas block, then I scrub the bolt and carrier assembly with a brush and solvent.  Once I am done with that I clean the barrel out with Shooters Choice bore solvent which leaves it nice and shinny.  I then run one patch with some oil on it through the barrel and wipe the bolt carrier with some oil and then put it back together.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#4]
When I get home from the range I soak all the parts with break free, and run a soaking patch down the barrel.  Let it sit a few hours or overnight and wipe all the crud off and brush and swab the barrel.  Keep repeating till its all clean.

AK or not, I clean all of my guns.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to Wal-mart and get from these depts.

Sporting goods dept.
A pump spray bottle of Break-Free CLP www.break-free.com/
A 30cal and a 20 gauge bore brushes

Automotive dept.
A can of brake parts cleaner
A set of brushes or brush with brass or steel brissles. like this
www.woodcarvingstore.com/RotaryToolAccessories/CleaningBrushes.asp

Housewares dept.
roll of paper towels

Drug dept.
A new tooth brush.

When you get home swap out your new tooth brush for your old one.Spray down all the parts of your rifle with CLP and let it sit for 15 minuites. Use your old tooth brush to scrub the inside of the receiver and parts. Use the brass/steel brush on the gas piston. It will take several applications of CLP and scrubbing to get heavy amounts of carbon off the gas piston. A wire wheel in a electric drill can be used to cut down on the amount of scrubbing needed. Use the 30cal brush on the bore and the 20 gauge brush on the gas tube/gas block. Once clean put 4 paper towels in the bottom of the bag you brought the stuff home from Wal-mart in. Hold the parts over the bag and use the brake parts cleaner to rinse everything off. Brake parts cleaner removes everything and leaves no residue. Spray a 4"x4" piece of rag and one patch with CLP. Rub the rag on every part inside and out to lube/protect it and run the patch through the bore. Put the rag and patch in a zip lock bag to use the next time you clean your rifle. Make sure to wipe the gas piston and the inside of the gas tube and gas block. The CLP will get into the pores of the metal and not let the carbon stick tight. So the next time you clean your rifle the brass/steel brissle brush will not be needed only the tooth brush. Take the bag with the paper towels which have absorbed all the brake parts cleaner and dirt outside or in the garage to let the bpc evaporate then throw it away.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Regiment: A military unit of ground troops consisting of at least two battalions, usually commanded by a colonel.

Regimen:  A systematic procedure.

Link Posted: 6/12/2005 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Regiment: A military unit of ground troops consisting of at least two battalions, usually commanded by a colonel.

Thanks, I'm aspiring to be a writter
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#9]
What are we cleaning ?

Link Posted: 6/12/2005 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I honor MTK by never cleaning my AKs.. Shoot it with a bit od WD-40 from time to time..  Hell, one of my AKs still has mud on it from when it got dropped at last years Bulletfest..
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Simple green,scrub brush, water hose and wd 40. Gotta love an ak.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't understand the original question.

Lol..........
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#14]
cleaning regiment?

173rd cleaning regiment, based out of my garage
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#16]
After every range session or hunt.

Just a field strip and clean with RemOil and a swab or two of regular old bore cleaner down the pipe.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I just wipe down the outside with a oilrag soaked with Clenzoil
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#18]
You guys clean your AK's?
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
cleaning regiment?

173rd cleaning regiment, based out of my garage

The 173rd is a cleaning Brigade, thank you, and an Airborne cleaning brigade at that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 11:50:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Clean an AK???  Go back to the AR15 side.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 12:11:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I used to clean mine, but now I don't.
I suppose I'd clean it if my hands got dirty holding it.  Until then, why bother.

Show me another firearm you can say that about.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 3:41:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 4:42:41 AM EDT
[#23]
A can of action blaster and a bore snake will solve all of your problems.

Almost forgot,

CLP for lube
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 4:44:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Antares swears that his SARs get about 25% better groups after about 600rnds and a bbl cool down. Claims the slop in the gun is filled by carbon deposits for a field custom accurizing.

Link Posted: 6/13/2005 5:42:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Step 1. Dunk cleaning rod with .30 cal broze brush in Hoppe's 9 (or Ed's Red or whatever)

Step 2. Insert cleaning rod into barrel

Step 3. Move brush in and out through the whole of the barrel a few times

Step 4. Attach your little patch holder thingy on the end of your cleaning rod

Step 5. Put patch in aforementioned thingy

Step 6. Swab barrel until patches come out clean (replace the patch as needed)

Step 6. Spray a little WD-40 or RemOil or something similar onto a patch and swab barrel with it

Step 7. Use old toothbrush or Q-Tip soaked in Hoppe's 9 to clean bolt face and bullet guide ramp

Step 8. Use rag soaked in Hoppe's 9 to clean piston

Step 9. Put a little oil on the parts that move against each other

You're done!

Occasionally, clean out the gas port, the gas cylinder, the receiver innards, etc...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:40:45 AM EDT
[#26]
tag
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:45:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Break Free CLP is your friend....   Clean your rifle after shooting it. Don't be lazy..... Firearms are pricey and who know's when they will stop the sales of AK's outright. Never say never.. Maintain your investment.  WarDawg
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

If you were ever in the Marine Corps.....You have been in a cleaning regiment. Everyone gets out with a masters of  custodial arts.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Clean one of my AKs??  Are you sure you aren't talking about ARs?  I rarely clean my AKs, but I do clean my ARs after EVERY range session.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:58:05 AM EDT
[#30]
I always clean my AK after shooting.  Not cleaning may work for those in dry climates, but I live in a damp area, and have salt water two blocks from my house to the West and two blocks from my house to the South.  A dirty gun = a rusty gun in my neighborhood.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top