Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2005 3:03:45 PM EDT
Well, I am almost finished converting my MAK. I have been picking up parts here and there for about 3 months. Picked it up here on the EE and I have been very happy with it. It still needs a little more work but it is almost there.

Here it is in its origional configuration. It was already drilled for the underfolding stock:

I stripped it down and replaced the required US parts. Barrel threading was attempted by the origional owner, but the threads were not done properly so I will have to perm. attach the us slant brake.

I added the underfolder and here it is:

Link Posted: 5/29/2005 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#1]
looks nice!
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#2]
This has been the biggest problem. What to do with the slant cut reciever. I am going to let it sit for now, but I would like to somehow cover this opening.

Link Posted: 5/29/2005 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Covering the rear of the reciever with some sheet metal looks good !!  Looks close to  a milled AK
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#4]
that is really odd, my underfolder ready MAK came with a threaded barrel and had the rear closed up from the factory.

anyway, welcome to the club
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice.  Looks like my stock served you well
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nice.  Looks like my stock served you well

Yes is did. Thank you again!
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Cajun - you say that the receiver was already set up for the underfolder when you bought it. Is it
marked 56S-1 on the side? Was the UF hole plated over with a plate inside, riveted in place? I've
never seen one set for a UF stock, that didn't have the rear trunion plated over.

Like TheRedHorseman said, mine came with the UF hole already drilled, but the holes on mine were
never plated shut. Nor did mine have the tang for the thumbhole stock attachment, as this appears
to. On mine, the thumbhole stock came a lot farther forward, covering the UF hole, and was held in
place by the pistolgrip screw.

Also, the muzzle on mine was factory-threaded for an evil muzzle attachment, but a sleeve was tack
welded in place with solder-consistency material.
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 5:44:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Call Troy at In Range,he can fix the rear of the reciever and it will look like it came that way.

BTW,congrats,she's beautiful!
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#10]
mine has a threaded muzzle but half the thread depth is ground off, a brake threads on really tightly but i won't install one until i fix the plunger pin.  the pin has been cut off and doesn't retract, it's either jammed or has been replaced with a longer rod and no spring.

as for the rear trunnion, it's like Cajun's.  it's the correct underfolder piece but has been whacked off at an angle leaving half of the rear open, maybe to make it fit the thumbhole better.  it was a 56s-1, it's visible where the stamping was ground off and "MAK 90" and importer/exporter info were placed in a different spot.  also looks like the Norinco stamp on the bottom of the receiver was also ground off.
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Call Troy at In Range,he can fix the rear of the reciever and it will look like it came that way.

BTW,congrats,she's beautiful!

What is Troy's contact info?

This is how it was when I bought it. Sounds like kami211's an mine are the same. The back is cut at an angle and the Tang is welded on.  I believe I am the 3rd owner, and somewhere down the line it got a bad threading job. I have not noticed any markings on it. It does not have Sporter or any of the other ingravings that look like they were done by a kindergardener. I will have to investigate further.
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Here you go,inrangec2.com
Link Posted: 5/31/2005 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Here you go,inrangec2.com

Got an e-mail back from him - $50 to fix it + shipping and return shipping. Do you guys think it is worth it?
Link Posted: 5/31/2005 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#14]
depends, what's he going to do?  just weld a plate over the hole or make the receiver whole again?
Link Posted: 5/31/2005 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#15]
if you look at a pre-ban 56's underfolder, you will see that they rivited a plate over the back portion of the slant cut receiver back.

The slant cut on this chinese underfolder rifle is "correct".  Just gotta get that plate on there.

Take a look at a pre-ban rifle or demilled chinese receiver stub and you may be able to figgure out how to do it yourself.

Say it be so...

Link Posted: 6/1/2005 2:39:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Says he has the origional plates. He did not elaborate much past that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 2:55:32 AM EDT
[#17]
It would be worth it to me,you've gone this far with it,get it done right and you'll feel better about it in the long run.
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 3:10:00 AM EDT
[#18]
job well done
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 3:11:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It would be worth it to me,you've gone this far with it,get it done right and you'll feel better about it in the long run.

You are right. This is what I will do.
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#20]
It Looks a lot better as a Underfolder
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
if you look at a pre-ban 56's underfolder, you will see that they rivited a plate over the back portion of the slant cut receiver back.

The slant cut on this chinese underfolder rifle is "correct".  Just gotta get that plate on there.

I know what it should look like but our receivers (Cajun's and mine) have been double cut, once for the rear plate/trunnion that it has (and it's correct for a chinese underfolder) and a second cut done by the importer that removed half of the rear plate and the lower corner of the receiver.

$50 is a steal for the work and parts, i'll probably have mine done to
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
$50 is a steal for the work and parts, i'll probably have mine done to

Yes, I decided to send mine off on Monday (Crazy work schedule this week).  I will post picks as soon as I get it back. $50 is for the parts and work. It does not include rifinishing or any unforseen encounters.
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
$50 is for the parts and work. It does not include rifinishing or any unforseen encounters.

understood, he'd be giving away money otherwise.  mine will have to wait for more money, so i'll patiently wait to see yours.
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#24]
One thing I like about Chinese AKs is that the finish is fairly easy to match,I had one once that had laid in water for about a week and lost all of the finish on one side.When the surface rust was wiped away,the finish came off too,I used Birchwood Caseys Cold Blue on it and it matched up pretty well.
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Cajun, you might want to double check with Troy, the email i got from him says he doesn't do the repairs because the cost of the work is more than the rifles value!
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Cajun, you might want to double check with Troy, the email i got from him says he doesn't do the repairs because the cost of the work is more than the rifles value!

Thanks kami, I will call him tomorrow and see what he can do.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#27]
any news?
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
any news?

Talked to him on monday. Told him i wanted the rear opening closed and the remainder of the tang removed. He said that he has some of the origional plates for the MAK and if that did not work, he would attach a small piece of metal to close the opening. I will ship it out on friday. As soon as I get it back, I will post picks here.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Troy is a good guy, he will take care of you no problem.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#30]
alrighty, last i heard he didn't have any rear trunnions for folders so i'm interested to see what he does.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 1:25:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
alrighty, last i heard he didn't have any rear trunnions for folders so i'm interested to see what he does.

Kami,you should give Troy a call,the reply you stated earlier does'nt sound like anything Troy would say.I've had alot of work done by In Range and he's always done a great  job.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#32]
JOHNO, when i emailed troy about the possibility of repairing the receiver and the rear trunnion his reply was "Sorry we don't fix those. The repair cost more than the worth of the rifle."
i've heard a lot of good about him and if he thinks it's not worth it then i'm not going to pursue it.  at the same time i'm interested to see what he does for Cajun.  i don't have the money for the work and won't for a while so for now i'll be patient and leave the rifle as is.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I have an NHM90 underfolder With threaded muzzle. this gun came with a bend piece of metal for a stock(post ban) I am giving this gun to my friend in Michigan(because NY still has the ban) What parts does he have to use to be compliant ? to grind tang off the receiver and use as an underfolder.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 3:21:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Went out with UPS today, set to arrive Wed. - Pics to follow!
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#35]
UPS just delivered and it looks great! All it needs is a little finishing and it will be done. Troy did a great job and I will not hesitate sending something else to him. I will post more picks when it is fully restored.

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#36]
looks great, what was the total cost involved?
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#37]
$50 for the work. I also bought a US slant brake for $15.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#38]
You can't go wrong with In Range!
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 3:21:14 AM EDT
[#41]
congrats on a fine looking AK.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 6:03:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Just clarification on the one that would be too costly. That is converting a folder BACK to full stock. There is a lot of hand work and fitting in that process. Just capping the rear of a receiver is no problem. Also this had the original folder cap on it but it had been chop saw cut at the bottom again.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Just clarification on the one that would be too costly. That is converting a folder BACK to full stock. There is a lot of hand work and fitting in that process. Just capping the rear of a receiver is no problem. Also this had the original folder cap on it but it had been chop saw cut at the bottom again.

must've been a misunderstanding, i inquired about repairing the receiver and rear plate so it would look correct, i don't want to go full stock and never mentioned it
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I e-mailed you but thank you again for the outstanding work. I am very happy with the end result.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 10:31:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Just got back from the range - everything is great! Now I just need to perm attach the brake (poor threading job by a previous owner)
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#46]
I think they look better with that angle cut ass end..
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Cool thread. Tag.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:29:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Is there an underfolding trunion inside that receivr?  Or are there just the holes cut for it? I do remember seeing a bunch of these at several shows back in the mid 90's.  

Looking good

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Is there an underfolding trunion inside that receivr?  Or are there just the holes cut for it? I do remember seeing a bunch of these at several shows back in the mid 90's.  

the stamped Chinese guns use a different style of rear trunnion, it basically just covers the back of the receiver.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top