Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2005 12:42:44 PM EDT
My AK is my bump in the night gun that sleeps next to me, but one thing I've noticed is my apartment is DARK at night, can't see a damn thing with the lights off. I have a WASR 10 and I'm not going to modify it in any way.  The question is, how should I mount a light on it, just for the nights. I'd be taking it off during the day.

I was thinking about velcro or something similar

Also, what kind of light do you reccomend?

-Storm

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#1]
you need one like this
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Got a link or a brand name?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Go here: tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/akbstparts.html  About halfway down the page ...
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I would suggest something like this:

it even comes in camo color!! just leave it on the gun, get a cheap maglight... If the tape burns off, you still have most of a roll to tape it back on with!

Seriously though, this link might help:

www.lymanproducts.com/tacstar/lightsys.htm
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm making something like this with a modified AMD65 lower forend and surefire HK light...it will be finished soon.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Not to bust your chops Storm, but an AK would be as hazardous to the folks in the apartment next to you, as it would be to a home invader. Rifle fire will penetrate most apartment walls, interior and exterior, like a hot knife thru butter.

Even handgun ammunition can penetrate interior wallboard somewhat easily. A couple years ago a Portland nitwit was fondling his SKS while it was loaded, and he somehow pulled the trigger. The 7.62x39 bullet passed thru his ceiling and into the head of a girl sleeping in the apartment above him. She died instantly. I believe he was tried for negligent homicide, and was convicted of that crime. I don't know what his sentence was.

I'm NOT saying that you are a goofus like this guy, but if you happen to miss your target in the dark, you can't call that bullet back. Not telling you what to do, but if I was in your housing situation I would rethink my defense strategy.

Michael
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Not missing your target in the dark is an excellent reason to get a tactical light to mount to your rifle...maybe the bullet will be slowed considerably by the intruders scull before it hits the thin sheetrock wall behind him.
BTW I prefer a shotgun for home defense for exactly the reasons stated previously...I'd hate to hit my wife with an errant shot, but if that's all I had, it would be nice if it had a light because I certainly want to positively identify any target I plan on shooting at. Good-Luck finding a weapon light.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I was thinking about attaching a flashlight to my WASR with one of these.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=121767

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My AK is my bump in the night gun that sleeps next to me, but one thing I've noticed is my apartment is DARK at night, can't see a damn thing with the lights off. I have a WASR 10 and I'm not going to modify it in any way.  The question is, how should I mount a light on it, just for the nights. I'd be taking it off during the day.

I was thinking about velcro or something similar

Also, what kind of light do you reccomend?

-Storm

Either leave it on or leave it off.  If you constantly take it on and off, you may forget to put it back on and it won't be there the day you need it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 3:13:09 AM EDT
[#12]
tantal.guns.ru/media/aklamp03.jpg

This is the 'Znich' tactical light made specifically for the AK-74. I have it on all 3 of my ORF builds. With good batteries you get over 2hrs of constant run time and it's bright enough to engage undifferentiated targets out to at least 100yds (my own tests using cardboard B-27's against dirt berms). It's easy to manipulate the on-off switch with the forefinger gripping the forend.
Tomac
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#13]
All the WASRs I've seen have the rail mount on the left side of the receiver.

What not put a clamp accessory rail on that with a Weaver or Pic rail on top and mount a light there where a scope would naturally be??

Any problem with the light being mounted on top like this for a home defense application?? It's not like your aiming in this situation anyway?!?!
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#14]
you can screw a piece of picatany/weaver rail to your forend, brownell's has em in both plastic and metal, and you can then use a scope mount ring to mont  SF 6z or equivalent light to the rail.  I just bouth a plastic rail for one of my FALs for just this purpose.

A couple of tips: stay away from tape switches if you can they add complexity, dangling wires and can be broken.  If you use a standard tailswitch you might want to try it in several places using tape your goal should be to be able to activate it without shifting your hand.  Then once you're comfortable  mount it and leave it.  Check it every now and then to make sure it still works and the bulb hasn't blown and practice with a handheld light now and then.  Remember two is one and one is none.

I whole-heartedly recommend that a light be mounted to any long gun used for defence.  And longhorn at anything beyond contact distance you better be aiming even if you live by yourself in the boonies.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top