Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2005 9:42:05 AM EDT
I have a SLR-101S that has alot of finish wear on the bolt carrier.  When I ordered it about six months ago, the dealer packaged it poorly and it arrived with the carrier handle actually sticking out of the box with all the finish scratched off.  If I would have known better then, I would have had it sent back.  Anyway, I was thinking of getting a wire wheel brush and removing the finish.  Then I would either refinish it with some duracoat or polish it.  Anybody ever try this on an Arsenal bolt carrier?  How hard is it to remove the finish?  Any advice would help.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not done the wire wheel trick on an Arsenal rifle but i have done plenty of other kinds of rusty, painted parts!  I think that it would be okay to use a wire wheel turning at about 1725 rpm.  Put on some heavy leather gloves, and don't for get the safety GOGGLES!  (Not safety glasses!)  Ask me how I know!

Yours,
One Rusty Nut.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#2]
my advice would be to leave it alone. I refinished a carrier once and wish I hadn't.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#3]
use alumnium polish to make it sparkel..........it will look better.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Fine wire wheel at Sears but am now a little hesitant after  listening to Msokol13.  Arsenal has some new bolt carriers with US pistons for 70 bones.  If I mess it up, I guess I'll just buy another.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I did it with a wire wheel brush.

Worked out fine.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:25:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, its done.  The finish was a little tough to remove but it came off and I must say, it looks pretty damn good.  I can post pics if someone can show me how.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top