Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/18/2005 9:04:08 AM EDT
I was wondering if any of the parts on my MAK-90 are allready switched out with american ones. I ordered a folding stock and pistol grip and want to make it "street legal".
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#1]
the vast majority of US made parts have USA engraved or cast into them
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 10:02:17 AM EDT
[#2]
they should be marked US or USA.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I have heard that some US made parts do not have stampings.  Muzzle Brakes from Global Trades for example.  In such a case, your receipt or invoice would have to do.  If there is any doubt about the parts count in your rifle after the conversion, it may be in your best interest to buy new parts that you can be certain are US made.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of my "US made" parts on my AK from vector are not stamped "US or USA". the only part that has this "US or USA" marking is the pistol grip. I doubt they are even US made, even though the manual states it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I would only buy parts that would be maked US or USA. could save a lot of BS down the road
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks. :) I have decided to buy a trigger group and save alot of hassle. I figure 50 bucks and a little installation time will save drama. BLAH!
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#7]
receipts are a pain in the ass to holdonto especially over time. I started making some Yugo grips and have them engraved USA right by the trigger guard indent. I also made the markings so they pop up instead of engraved in to the grip. I like the idea of having something clearly marked. I believe some Century made parts are marked with a C (I could be wrong)
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:18:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I quit worrying about the parts count gestapo long ago......  Granted my FAL and my AK are compliant but, over half of the US parts in them are unmarked.

For instance, on my SAR 2 in which I bought nib the only thing marked on it was the pistol grip.  The FCG and the gas piston were devoid of any markings.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:12:40 AM EDT
[#9]
The Chinese trigger parts had no markings on them.
The first US company to make AK trigger parts was FSE(First Son Enterprises). The left side of the trigger hook that catches the hammer has "FSE" with "USA" under it in raised letters cast into it. The hammer and sear are stamped with a "C" on the right side. FSE trigger parts were/are used by Century Arms in the hi cap mag models WASR,WASR-10,and the SAR series of AK rifles.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Wouldn't the burden of proof be on the ATF to show that the part was not made in the US?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#11]
What's a "parts count"?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Wouldn't the burden of proof be on the ATF to show that the part was not made in the US?

I doubt they would make a big deal out of it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#13]
it's easy....foreign made parts are just more eeeeeeeevil than US made parts. Just hold your hand over them, the eeeeeeeeevilness will be very apparent.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#14]
it's pretty easy to tell US from foreign ones.....cheap cast part, that give you trigger slap, you can be sure it's US parts
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#15]
You would think that SAFETY and RELIABILITY are key words in the world of guns. I wonder who makes laws like these? What was the ACTUAL reasoning behind them. Saturday night special RIFLE! "We need to sell more american made parts, lets make a law that says you can only use them."  "But Sir, there ARENT any american steel 7.62 x 39 magazine manufacturers." "Well then, we will just have to outlaw high capacity magazines also!"
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What's a "parts count"?

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I agree, My SAR3 has no markings on any of the compliance parts except for a "C" on the hammer. The gas piston was just screwed all the way in and welded, but no markings. RSA FCG's are way to different to be confused with furrinn parts. If it comes to a showdown, will the cop doing the inspecting KNOW what is legal, what is not and the difference between the two? We as builders know way more about what we are doing, as it is in our best intrest legally.......

h=85%

Quoted:
I quit worrying about the parts count gestapo long ago......  Granted my FAL and my AK are compliant but, over half of the US parts in them are unmarked.

For instance, on my SAR 2 in which I bought nib the only thing marked on it was the pistol grip.  The FCG and the gas piston were devoid of any markings.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I agree, My SAR3 has no markings on any of the compliance parts except for a "C" on the hammer. The gas piston was just screwed all the way in and welded, but no markings.

I have a SAR 3 myself......I believe the way they ID it as a US piston from the foreign  one, is the US ones is made of stainless steel, or steel......while foreign ones are chromed....I have yet to see a foreign one that wasn't chromed. I have also seen US made piston have 3 grooves, instead of 2 grooves found on foreign ones.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#19]
When it comes down to it I think that by the time you are having your parts count inspected, you have bigger issues to worry about. Stay legal but dont sweat it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top