Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/17/2005 3:16:06 PM EDT
well I was surfing around and I found the ACE ARFX and I fell in love with and I found attatchments that can let you put an AR stock on an AK, I was just wondering how easy it would be to put one the ARFX on my WASR-10? Also, almost all of the places I've looked to buy the ARFX says they don't come with a buffer and spring, is this something they put on ARs? What exactly does the buffer and spring do? Do I need this if I'm  putting it on a WASR-10?

Thanx, Sly
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Well not that i approve of an AR stock on an AK but its your rifle.

Now to answer your question in an AR the bolt actually goes back into the stock during operation requiring the buffer so it doesnt hit the back and the spring to puch it back forward, but since the AK is piston operated and the bold doesnt go past the rear trunion you shouldnt need the buffer and spring. good luck
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't be that guy!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Don't be that guy!hr

?
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#4]
just a funny saying.  I think AKs look great just being AKs.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]
As I've heard here before "friends Don't Let Friends put AR parts on AKs"
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]
as someone has stated this is my rifle, and i didn't ask for bashing I just asked how easy it would be. Now i got another question, I will still need to buy the buffer tube though right? because i think thats what the stock attatches too.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I was just kidding Yes I think that you will need to get a buffer tube.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]
You will not need a buffer or spring.  I mounted an ACE LE Entry stock on my AMD-65 and love it.  More comforatable than the AK stock and when using a red dot, aligns your eyes to scope better also.

Below is a picture of my AMD-65 and a link to what I had to do to install the stock adapter.

www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4314
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#9]
awesome man, I saw that pic on ACE's site,  great job, so I do need to buy the tube though right? Also that entry stock, from the measurements that I took it seems that its shorter than the regular AK stock right? Is that TDI grip I see? My WASR when finished is going to be almost identical to that, with a few exceptions, slant break, red dot mounted on the optics rail, and slim line black forend instead of tri-rail forend.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#10]
From the ACE website, it appears that you will need to buy a standard AR buffer tube.  The ARFXE, that I bought comes with the tube so I didn't have to purchase one separately.  Yes, the ARFXE is shorter that the standard AK stock.  Yes, it is a TDI pistol grip.

Also, the upper/lower handguard are standard AK-74 (U.S. made).
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By Hammer in PA:
From the ACE website, it appears that you will need to buy a standard AR buffer tube.  The ARFXE, that I bought comes with the tube so I didn't have to purchase one separately.

yeah thats what I've seen, I haven't decided between the ARFX and the ARFX-E yet, thats why I asked if the ARFX-E is shorter than the regular AK stock, because i don't want to go any shorter than it, I would actually prefer something a little longer than the AK stock but if its the same size its okay.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#12]
i dont like the look of AR parts on ak's. the collapsable stocks just dont look right to me.
thats a personal thing. as for the ace stock, that looks pretty neat to me. its not my first choice, but its definately pretty nice looking.

do whatever you want, its your ak. worst case, just change it around.
i love switching out my furniture, makes me think i've got more ak's than i do.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Without measuring the stock length, I thinks it's around 1 - 1 1/2 inches shorter.  But you can get the 1" buttpad and that would make it  1/2" - 1" shorter.

On my current AMD-65 build, I'm using Ace's AK (cut the tang) folding stock.  I'm using the very short stock also.  With the folding stock mechanism it measures about the same as the LE Entry stock (which I like).
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i dont like the look of AR parts on ak's. the collapsable stocks just dont look right to me.
thats a personal thing. as for the ace stock, that looks pretty neat to me. its not my first choice, but its definately pretty nice looking.

do whatever you want, its your ak. worst case, just change it around.
i love switching out my furniture, makes me think i've got more ak's than i do. hr

yes this I agree on, I don't like the the collapsable stocks on AK's either, but i love the ACE ARFX, I saw somewhere, it may have been here, someone took and put on an AR collapsable stock, AR sights, an AR front pistol grip, an AR rear pistol grip, and I was thinking, "if you want ur AK to look that much like an AR why not just buy an AR in .308?" lol. but whatever floats their boat. this is the only AR part i'm putting on mine.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Without measuring the stock length, I thinks it's around 1 - 1 1/2 inches shorter.  But you can get the 1" buttpad and that would make it  1/2" - 1" shorter.

On my current AMD-65 build, I'm using Ace's AK (cut the tang) folding stock.  I'm using the very short stock also.  With the folding stock mechanism it measures about the same as the LE Entry stock (which I like).

well damn I like the look of the shorter stock better, but not the feel, and thats what really matters, in this case function over form, i like the AK stock they make too but i like the foam that goes over the buffer tube on the ARFX better. How easy was it to attatch the ARFX-E? would I just use something like this? www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=32179644
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
as someone has stated this is my rifle, and i didn't ask for bashing I just asked how easy it would be. Now i got another question, I will still need to buy the buffer tube though right? because i think thats what the stock attatches too.

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will . . . "

"My Rifle"
The Creed of a United States Marine
Major General W. H. Rupertus, USMC
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#17]
My rifle and myself know that what counts in war, is not the rounds of fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know it is the hits that count. We will hit.

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My rifle and myself know that what counts in war, is not the rounds of fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know it is the hits that count. We will hit.

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will.

I salute you, sir !
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#19]
hug.gif hoohrah, simper fi,  carry on.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#20]

read the signature line

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#21]
What kind of mount is that scope sitting on? Do you still have use of your iron sights? Thanks
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I salute you, sir !

OOH RAHHH!!!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#23]
AR stock on AK = THE GHEY
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By Sly_C
well damn I like the look of the shorter stock better, but not the feel, and thats what really matters, in this case function over form, i like the AK stock they make too but i like the foam that goes over the buffer tube on the ARFX better. How easy was it to attatch the ARFX-E? would I just use something like this?
www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=32179644

That is the same adapter that I used.  As far as installing the adapter, mine took some work, see "LINK" in my first post (you may get different mileage from your AK).  I go through the entire process on what it took to have a clean installation of the adapter.

Your right about the buffer tube, it screws into the stock adapter, then the ARFX/E stock slides onto the tube and is secured by a screw in the butt.  The foam overtube slides on while your sliding the buffer tube into the ARFX/E stock.  As a note, my folding stock will have the foam overtube also (the tube can get very cold in the winter), but it takes just a little more work than the ARFX/E stock.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What kind of mount is that scope sitting on? Do you still have use of your iron sights? Thanks

The mount was made by ACE Ltd., U.S.A (same company that makes the cool buttstocks) but has been discontinued for about 2 years now.  They might be making a new version of it some time this year or next.

The mount uses AR15A2 windage sight components to replace the standard AK rear sight which had to be removed to install the AKSMS mount.  The BUIS work very well as can be seen by the 100 yard target...Remember this is on a 12.5" barreled AMD-65.  The aiming black (6" circle) was covered by the red dot which made it hard to tell where you were aiming.  With a larger target, I'm sure the red dot group would be smaller.  Oh, I almost forgot, the entire rifle can be dis-assemblied without having to remove the mount, which can't be done on some other mounts.

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Thank you for the kind comments.  I just got tired of building the same looking AK over and over again.  Sure some were Hungarian, some were Bulgarian and some were Romanian but they pretty much looked the same.

I just wanted something a little different.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I really like that rear sight. It is a shame that they discontinued them. I also like the stock by the way. There is nothing wrong with a man "or woman" doing anything that they want to thier rifle. As long as it is legal and they are happy. It really burns me that no one is offering a good alternative for the standard rear sight. The BUIS mount combo that you have looks like the way to go. I would even settle for a KREBS AR-15 style sight but they are not available either. Is there no justice?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
hug.gif hoohrah, simper fi,  carry on.

well this has nothing to do with my post, but i wanted to share this, the rifle creed inspired me and I wanted a new desktop anyway so...

home.mebtel.net/~slyc_101/riflecreed2.jpg
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:15:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
hoohrah, simper fi,  carry on.

well this has nothing to do with my post, but i wanted to share this, the rifle creed inspired me and I wanted a new desktop anyway so...

home.mebtel.net/~slyc_101/riflecreed2.jpg

COOL !  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#31]
after looking into I don't know if I really want to put all the work that there appears to go into it to put an AR stock on it and this stock:

http://www.sovietarmy.com/small_arms/aks-74_icon.jpg

seems to be growing on me, does anyone have any idea where i can get one? and can I put an AK-74 stock on a WASR-10?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
after looking into I don't know if I really want to put all the work that there appears to go into it to put an AR stock on it and this stock:

seems to be growing on me, does anyone have any idea where i can get one? and can I put an AK-74 stock on a WASR-10?

Welcome to the "Dark Side".  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Welcome to the "Dark Side".  hr

thanx, any idea where I can get one and if it will work coming from an AKS-74 and going to a WASR-10?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#34]
If you thought that installing a AR to AK stock adapter was hard, wait till you try putting an AKS folding stock on.  It's a lot of work.  If you put one on a WASR-10 it will be even more as you have to remove the original rear trunnion (tang), cut the receiver for the AKS folding stock trunnion, drill additional holes in the receiver for the new trunnion, cut a rectangular hole near the front trunnion for the stock latch mechanism and then install it all (this is just an abbreviated list).

Sometimes you just have to get your feet wet and do what you want to do.  If you screw up, well, you screw up.  None of us do everything perfect every time (I have 2 botched receivers plus other mistakes in my shop to remind me).   Just make sure that you learn from your mistakes.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#35]

If you thought that installing a AR to AK stock adapter was hard, wait till you try putting an AKS folding stock on.  It's a lot of work.  If you put one on a WASR-10 it will be even more as you have to remove the original rear trunnion (tang), cut the receiver for the AKS folding stock trunnion, drill additional holes in the receiver for the new trunnion, cut a rectangular hole near the front trunnion for the stock latch mechanism and then install it all (this is just an abbreviated list).

Sometimes you just have to get your feet wet and do what you want to do.  If you screw up, well, you screw up.  None of us do everything perfect every time (I have 2 botched receivers plus other mistakes in my shop to remind me).   Just make sure that you learn from your mistakes.

well crap, know anything that looks cool, but is also wasy to install?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Tapco is offering one.

http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=ZSTK060166&back=yes&dept=107&last

Its a 6 position AR type stock and it seems pretty easy to install.  There is a link for the assembly instructions on the page.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Tapco is offering one.

http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=ZSTK060166&back=yes&dept=107&last

Its a 6 position AR type stock and it seems pretty easy to install.  There is a link for the assembly instructions on the page.

arg! i wish they would offfer something exactly like that but in a different stock, I just can't bring myself to put one of the 6 postiion stocks on an ak.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top