BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/6/2005 5:49:29 PM EDT
can anyome fill me in on them
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Good rifles. Spare parts are nonexistent.

What else do you need to know?
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The Daewoo rifles has taken the best of all the assault rifles that are out there and put them into one rifle.  The action is that of an AK piston hybridized with an AR bolt.  The gas system and stock are similar to the FAL.  Its accurate, its much more reliable then the AR15.  The receiver is very similar to the AR15 but a regular upper will not fit.  I have to get with my contacts and make up some uppers that would fit on a regular AR lower.  I think there would be a nice market for such an item.  Not to mention it would cost an arm and a leg that HK and all the other piston action ARs are charging.

I have one and its a nice rifle which I prefer to my AR.  But as mention low low parts.  Youre FUBAR if you break something and will have to have a piece made custom.
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks all  does not sound like gun for me to buy
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a DR-200 and I love it!! It is a sweet rifle. I almost like it better than my AR other than the fact that there aren't many aftermarket parts for it. I may have to do something about that.

Kris
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree, its a nice rifle.  The action is really smooth.  Much better then my Bushy.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#8]
The Daewoos are great rifles...

See also

Daewoos (warning: pics)

Even with the parts availability problem, I would still pick one of the Daewoos up if you can find one.

Link Posted: 5/7/2005 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I paid $600 for mine. I've seen them half as nice at shows going for over $1k Glad I picked it up when I did.
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I had Daewoo K1 before and it was damn good rifle...

I still don't understand why I sold this rifle... stupid me.

Link Posted: 5/7/2005 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Traded a preban mini-14 for mine + 400 bucks.
I knew the AWB was DOA so I didnt feel bad that he paid me $250 for the damn mini-14.
Probably in that dealers shop with an $800 dollar price tag that reads Pre-Ban

I do like the DR-200 and treasure it as a rare item.
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
thanks all  does not sound like gun for me to buy

Ha ha, when was the last time you broke a semi-auto mil spec rifle?!?

Buy it dude!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a K-2 and a DR-200.  They're everything everyone thinks Sig 550's are..OK, maybe not quite as nice, but you get the idea.  A mil-spec rifle that takes the accuracy of the M16, the gas piston of the AK, a gas regulator like the FNC (not FAL like everyone says) and, better than the Sig, takes common as dirt mags.  

Parts can be a problem I suppose.  I've managed to find anything I would need.  The parts are out there, just hard to find.  Many can be made.  There used to be a time where spare parts for anything just weren't around, and that didn't stop anyone from buying guns.  FAL parts were impossible to get, but people still bought FALs and didn't bat an eye about it.  

The AR-15 FCG needs no modifications, they drop right in.  You just need to use all three USGI parts and not mix Korean and US parts.  There are some other small AR parts that work.  Other parts can be modified to work.  Some need to be made.  

To be honest, I've never borken a part on an AR-15, and I've shot many a case through mine, and frankly don't see breaking any in the near future.  I'm not as worried as some are about spare parts.  

Other than that, the gun does away with what many bitch about on the M16, the gas system.  It also does away with what many bitch about with the AK, inaccuracy.  The Daewoo has all of the advantages in ergonomic controls, cheap mags, light weight of the AR-15, and the gas piston, ejector, and return spring of the AK.  

All in all, they are an excellent gun.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 7:10:20 AM EDT
[#14]
What do you guys think about a drop in Daewoo upper?  An upper that would be exactly like the DR200 but would fit onto a regular AR15 lower?  I have been talking to people in Korea about this for a while.  Around $500-600 per unit is what I am thinking it would cost.  With new handguards and a variety of barrel lengths from the standard 20 to 16.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What do you guys think about a drop in Daewoo upper?  An upper that would be exactly like the DR200 but would fit onto a regular AR15 lower?  I have been talking to people in Korea about this for a while.  Around $500-600 per unit is what I am thinking it would cost.  With new handguards and a variety of barrel lengths from the standard 20 to 16.

I'd buy one.  Sounds like a great idea to me.  Once you got the word out you could make a killing selling these.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Believe it or not, there is actually a guy in the EE selling a K1 and K2 upper, plus he has other parts.  I have no idea what happened to the lowers, but he does have a couple uppers for sale.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 6:46:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I think you'll loose money.

You'll run into the problem that most AR fans don't see any problem with their gas system, and other than the different gas system, there is no advantage to an upper only.  

Those that do want a gas piston upper won't buy one at that price unless it's stamped "HK" (which automatically adds to price) and even then there will be very few.  

Then you'll have the guys that bitch because none of their AR parts work in the upper, so they'll still be crying about parts availability.  

Then you'll have the group of folks that figure they'll just build another AR-15 for that money.  

Then you'll have the other group that figures they'd rather buy a whole AR-180B if they want a gas piston with no compatible upper parts.

Then there's always the group that will want to wait and see who else brings something out.

Then there's your competition that will bring out the old "Rhino" gas piston conversion for the AR, only redone better, and they'll sell it for less, and allow the customer to use most of his AR parts, and it will still look like an AR, and it can be had as a full upper, or just a conversion, so really the guy's only buying a couple parts.  MUCH higher profit in that.

The gas piston upper idea has been around forever, since the 60's, and no one's ever been able to sell them.  If I think conditions are bad enough that I need a gas piston gun, I bring an AK (which cost half as much as your upper).

You would make WAY MORE money just bringing in spare parts and selling them outright.  I mean there would be a huge mark-up allowed, and a ready-made market, and you wouldn't have to deal so much with customers that start bitching on the net about your product.  They'll be happy to just see factory parts they don't have to make themselves.  The demand would be small enough that you could handle the work without any real overhead, but the profits would be outrageous.  The ONE thing everyone bitches about with the Daewoo is spares.  Solve that, and you'll be a god!  A rich one too!

Ross
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#19]
The problem is that there not that many rifles imported.  That might be the angle that I need.  Bring parts in and build them here and also sell spares.  Now, if I only had several hundred thousand dollars to front the effort we would be set!
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Good Idea
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#21]
New ACE Daewoo Receiver Adapter:

"Machined from 60-61 T-6 billet to accept most AR type grips!
Availble 6-5-2005"

www.aceltdusa.com/new.htm

[
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top