Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/16/2005 3:17:16 PM EDT
Why hasn't anyone ever made an all-stainless AK?  I know it isn't necessary, but there are plenty of men out there who will line up to pay top dollar for the latest and greatest version of any cool toy.  Heck, sadam had a gold plated one.  It would also be practical for marine environments (boaters and the like).

There are lots of people making AK receivers and parts in the USA.  How hard could it be to match up the specs for the normal steels with corresponding stainless steels and then use those steels and the blueprints to fabricate stainless parts? - I'm not talking about Joe Sixpack doing this, but rahter one of the US manufacturers of AK components.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I was just thinking about the samething yesterday but Im sure the demand isnt as great as you would think and the price would probably be very high to make up for the small demand. People would probably say they would buy one but when it comes to dishing out the cash I bet alot of those plans would change. Also in my opinion it seems like they would be more of a novelty than much else. Ive seen several chrome plated ones and think a matte chrome one would add some bling to any collection.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw a picture of one posted in GD once.  It actually looked pretty good, I thought.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I saw a picture of one posted in GD once.  It actually looked pretty good, I thought.  

was it chrome or stainless?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it was probably like a brushed chrome.  It was a dull finish.  I don't think it would have looked as good shiny.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think it was probably like a brushed chrome.  It was a dull finish.  I don't think it would have looked as good shiny.

I agree shiny chrome wouldbe way to much bling for me almost as bad as the gold plated ones however a matte chrome finish would be kinda cool.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#6]
GomerPyle gave me this link to a brushed chrome one for some reason I think it looks pretty sweet
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=304625&page=3
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:33:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Agreed - you could get the a similar look and corrosion resistance with electroless nickel plating (like they put on some shotguns).  You could also get similar corrosion resistance with many of the modern coatings...

There's always Titanium
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top