Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/16/2005 7:14:28 AM EDT
I bought Mbsk01's AK74 (InRange build), which is AWB-compliant, ie. welded muzzle brake. Unfortunately, this one isn't pinned and welded over (I've removed several of those), but "puddle welded". I've exchanged a couple of e-mails with Troy, and he mentioned that he drilled a hole in the bottom of the brake and filled in/welded over the hole once it was on the rifle. He also said that I could drill that out and remove the brake.

Now I didn't want to annoy him by continuously sending him e-mails, but I'm still a little confused. In a blind pin installation, only the pin mechanically locks the brake to the barrel and the weld only fills in the hole. You don't really have to get close to the threads (on the barrel/FSB) to remove the pin and break the mechanical lock. With this puddle welding method though, I'm assuming that the metal in the brake has fused with the metal of the FSB, so I'm not quite sure how much damage I would do to the FSB to remove the welded area.

The only thing I can think of is drilling out the welded area with a drill bit slightly larger than the weld itself. It would cut into the threads of the FSB before the welded area is removed, but it shouldn't damage the threads any more than necessary.

Has anyone here removed one of these brakes to offer some advice?

Thanks,

Z
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody?

Darn.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#2]
All I can tell you is to get a Dremal tool and some small cut off disc and slowly cut of the brake. take your time if you go these way. Good luck
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Just out of curiosity, do you have any instructions on how to remove a blind pinned muzzle brake? I have one on one of my rifles and can't for the life of me figure out how to remove it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, do you have any instructions on how to remove a blind pinned muzzle brake? I have one on one of my rifles and can't for the life of me figure out how to remove it.  Thanks.

First identify the spot of the weld area. It's usually on the center bottom of the brake. Unless it's a superb job, you should be able to tell. You can use a Dremel or a grinder if the brake is thick enough. Or drill out the area of the pin. The goal is to remove the weld area to get to the pin.

One of the problems you'll have is that when you grind, the metal of the pin "blends" with the surrounding area and makes it almost impossible to distinguish from the surrounding metal of the brake. What is eal useful isif you try to torque the brake back and forth a little bit. This will usually cause the pin to pop loose and maybe even fall out. It takes some trial and error. Just be careful how deep you grind. If you hit the threads slightly, you can usually recover when you unthread the old brake.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Well since I'm sure inRange followed the BATFE regs then it was attached in one of the following ways

1100+ deg silver solder (doesn't sound like this method)

Blind pin and weld(you seem to be able to deal with this method)

The only other legal method is to weld the brake to the barrel/fsb around it's circumference. At least half of the circumference has to be welded. Either by one half moon weld or by seperate welds that total half of the circumference.

Generally if a hole was drilled then it was blind pinned. Maybe there was just some confusion between the explanation and understanding on the phone.

Puddle welding is simply a term used when filling a hole with weld. If the brake had large holes drilled in it and then they welded the inside of the hole to the barrel threads then your screwed. The threads are no longer there. They have become part of the brake and barrel.

Since he said it was removable is's probably pinned.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#6]
DON'T BE A PUSSY!

Get a dremel with a cutoff wheel (the reinforced ones), and GO TO TOWN!  If you hit barrel threads, stop.

give it to me and I'll do it!  *muahahaha*

WECSOG = teh good.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:14:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Troy responded and did confirm that the FSB andbrake are fused in that 1/4" hole. Grinding it is a no-go - it'll definitely have to be drilled out if I attempt it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Pics?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Pics?

I dunno. I may not try this until I have a repacement FSB available in case I screw it up.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#10]
well, I meant pics of the current setup, with details of the weld, etc.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Just cut the hole thing down on each side and then take a hammer and chisel and tap it  apart = DONE.  U dont need to cut all the way thru the muzzle devise just enough to make it seperate under the blow of a hammer.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
well, I meant pics of the current setup, with details of the weld, etc.

Not much to see. Just the faint outline (semicircle) of where the weld puddle solidified and wasn't ground flush. THe 24mm brakes are very thin in that area, and there wasn't enough material for a pin.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top