Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/14/2005 11:35:14 AM EDT
Does anybody sell the AK tool that adjusts the front sight for windage?

Prefer not to do this via brass punch if there is a nice tool that can do it in a modulated manner....

best regards,

Tim
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Tapco

or try a C-clamp and a socket.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#2]
That tool from Tapco SUCKS!

I purchased one and it doesn't work, waste of $8 bucks.  The relief hole on the opposite side of the pushing rod is not big enough for the front sight cylinder; so it acts like a clamp.  Its made out of such soft steel that I had to bang it on the bench earlier this afternoon to open up the notch for the front site post before I could fit it on to twist the post.  The pin that you use to twist the pushing rod keeps falling out.  

About the only use I found for the tool, use the main U shaped block as a support for the FSB when you are tapping the cylinder with a dowel/hammer.  Or in my case, I was using the back of an empty mag, as I didn't have a hammer with me at the range.

Its an AK, you're not going to hurt by beating it with a hammer/dowel or brass rod.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#3]
B-Square makes the BEST AK/SKS front sight adjustment tool on the market.

Two side plates are bolted to the front sight base.  Then hex screws push the front sight to the left/right.  

MUCH better than the "C" clamp type front sight adjusters . . . .

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I purchased one and it doesn't work, waste of $8 bucks.  The relief hole on the opposite side of the pushing rod is not big enough for the front sight cylinder; so it acts like a clamp.  Its made out of such soft steel that I had to bang it on the bench earlier this afternoon to open up the notch for the front site post before I could fit it on to twist the post.  The pin that you use to twist the pushing rod keeps falling out.  

I just bought one from TAPCO a few weeks ago.  Worked perfectly on my Norinco MAK-90.  My only complaint is that the sight drum was REALLY tight and the tool removed a little bit of the finish where it made contact.  A couple of minutes with a Presto blue touch-up pen took care of that.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Also an AK is not an AR so you set the windage maybe once if it is not on target and leave it set.  You aren't doing precision bench rest shooting.  I use a brass punch myself but have also used a C-clamp and socket.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

About the only use I found for the tool, use the main U shaped block as a support for the FSB when you are tapping the cylinder with a dowel/hammer.  Or in my case, I was using the back of an empty mag, as I didn't have a hammer with me at the range.

Its an AK, you're not going to hurt by beating it with a hammer/dowel or brass rod.  

Tell us how you really feel.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I just bought one from TAPCO a few weeks ago.  Worked perfectly on my Norinco MAK-90.  My only complaint is that the sight drum was REALLY tight and the tool removed a little bit of the finish where it made contact.  A couple of minutes with a Presto blue touch-up pen took care of that.

My cylinder wasn't too tight, just the diameter of the relief hole was the same size or maybe a bit smaller than the diameter of the cylinder.  So instead of drifting the cylinde, I was just clamping down on it.  I got it drifted banging on it with an empty mag, and she shoots right on now. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=69423
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Wish I would have thought of that before I bought the tool!  Not that the tool was very expensive, but I'll probably never need to use it again.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#9]

My cylinder wasn't too tight, just the diameter of the relief hole was the same size or maybe a bit smaller than the diameter of the cylinder.  So instead of drifting the cylinde, I was just clamping down on it.  I got it drifted banging on it with an empty mag, and she shoots right on now. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=69423

The relief hole had sufficient clearance on mine.  That sight cylinder was DAMN tight fitting on mine --- I'm not sure if I could have moved it with a punch and hammer at the range (without access to a bench vise).  

I just recently did the "922r thing" on mine, too.  Black polymer furniture (from K-VAR) and a double-hook FCG from TAPCO.  The gun has about 125 rounds through it and I'm liking it so far.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Wish I would have thought of that before I bought the tool!  Not that the tool was very expensive, but I'll probably never need to use it again.  

Guess you'll just have to buy another AK to justify the purchase!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:Guess you'll just have to buy another AK to justify the purchase!

The thought has crossed my mind!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top