Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 6:18:41 PM EDT
I need some information on this scope.  Does it work better and faster than iron sights?  I was trained in the Army using iron sights (30 some odd years ago)and do not know anything about these new electronic sights.  Any info would be apprecated.   Gerry
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#1]
When I used mine.  Windage was right on, but elevation never made it, even after I adjusted it as far as it would go.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I still feel more effective with iron sights than with electronic optics.

We had one guy's Kobra go south today at a local 3 Gun match, he wasn't happy.

I'd seriously look at the newer PK-AS from Tantal.  It has a reticle that is still very usable if the batteries fail or the electronics get screwed up.

tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/pkasv.html

If you're looking at optics because of problems with vision, this might be a viable answer.

+1.
Tomac
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:58:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I was faster with my Kobra, but battery life was definitely an issue.  I am saving my pennies for the PK-AS
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Any idea how much they run?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'd seriously look at the newer PK-AS from Tantal.  It has a reticle that is still very usable if the batteries fail or the electronics get screwed up.

If you're looking at optics because of problems with vision, this might be a viable answer.

If you go with the Ultimak mount with a low mounted red dot, you get the best of both worlds, dot sight and iron sights at the same time. If you've never used a forward mounted dot sight, your missing out BIG TIME! They are the only way to go, especially for the AK. Your hit probability goes way up and is much quicker, and unlike the Kobra's, the forward mounted dot gives you the same cheek weld as your iron sights so its very fast and natural to shoot with. Snap shots are a breeze and your deliberately aimed groups will shrink at longer ranges. The forward mounted sight is also out of the way of both handling and your field of vision, unlike the Kobra. I think once you've shot an AK set up this way, you will not go back to iron sights unless you absolutely have to.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I might be the odd man out, but I'd go with the KOBRA- $185. shipped from Tantal w/ mount and 1 year warranty through him (Authorized Dealer). I played on a Tourney Paintball team for the better part of 10 years, with markers shooting in the 18-22 balls/sec range, quick target aquisition is a must and I'm quite comfortable w/ Red Dots. Shooting with both eyes open is a geat benefit.
The new gen KOBRA's use 2 AA bateries, I F'ed up and left mine on for over 24hrs and it still works. Like everything, you have to maintain your equipment. Before every tourney I replaced batteries regardless. If someone ran out of adjustment, they didn't read the manual. Typical adjustment is 7 clicks, beyond that you have to back off a stop screw and you have infinite adjustment. Once you zero, you retighten the stop screw and go up to 7 clicks +/_ as needed.
You have to practice and get comfortable to elevation adjustments at different ranges. Bench rest shooting used the adjustment knob, tactical comps you have to adjust. To me the KOBRA is faster than typical red dots because your not having to look down a tube. Either are fine, I just prefer the KOBRA. Tantals has info available on all the Russian made sights, but you need to contact Doug for prices and availability-reply's are usually very quick.
http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/bstkobra.html
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Tantal is The Man for Soviet optics.
I've bought 4 from him recently.

PK-AS-S      (Arsenal w/Side Rail & Ultimac Mount)
PK-AS-W      (Bushmaster A3)
Kobra EKP-1S-03M      (Mac 90 w/Side Rail & Ultimak Mount)
Kobra EKP-8-18      (Mini 14 w/Amega Range Mount)

Tantal is a pleasure doing business with. You can't go wrong.
As far as the optics go, no problems with any of them. Their easy to set up and maintain.
Also cheaper than their Western counterparts.

Avtomats in Action
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Theres a group buy for kobras right now in the EE. $168 to your door. Ends the 20th.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Anybody have a price for this scope?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#13]
deleted
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Kobra on my AK-74 (SEAK I), and have many hours of range and match time on it.  It is not the quality of say an Aimpoint CompM2, but it is damn good for the money.  It maintains zero well, and has pretty good battery life, although not again as good as the newer Aimpoints.  IMHO, the battery is a non issue because it takes 2 x AA.  Easy to find.  And it just looks right on an AK.  Wish I would have bought 2 when  they were $125.

The SEAK and a Kobra = match made in heaven.  Sweet shooting, good looking, rugged, proven, sexy.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top