Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 9:20:02 AM EDT
I'm relatively new to AKs so bare with me if this question sounds stupid.  From what I understand, it's tough to find high quality milled receivers because everybody is out of stock.  Why won't some US mfg company start mass producing these things?  It sure seems to me that we have all these kits but no receivers to build on.  If we had a machine shop build these receivers like the mass produce the AR15 lowers, we could be set pretty well and the machine shop that made these would do pretty well.  How come more machine shops aren't making these receivers for the AK?  There must be a logical explanation that I'm not seeing.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:32:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Fireing line makes them but I think they are going for around $400. I dont think theres enough demand to get the production high enough to get the price lower. Plus it seems like alot more machine work would be required for an Ak receiver.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#2]
One of the biggest problems is finding a shop well enough equiped that is willing to make small runs of these things.  Lots of details, lots of bugs.  No telling how many prototypes FL went through to get to what they have now.   They farm out production, as do most, and it's been a real pain for them to maintain their quality.  They are very picky about their receivers and the price reflects that.   Personally, I couold care less about having a milled receiver as I don't fell they're really any better.  Even in the long run, stamped receivers, if done properly, should outlast the barrel and they are rated at 80+k rounds.....
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#3]
One thing is that there are over 200 machining operations for a milled receiver, time and effort would drive the cost up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Ah....I see.  If you took a Bulargian milled receiver and made a mold for it, it would seem like you could get it done at less than $400 a pop.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#6]

The FiringLine has no shortages of milled recievers !
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn that eagle looks funny.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Damn that eagle looks funny.

It might, but I gotta tell you, I've handled their receiver up close and the workmanship is absolutely outstanding.

There receiver is a fine piece of metal but I just dont understand the eagle.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#10]
you can also go with a Ohio Rapid Fire milled reciever.. this is a Type II the Type III's are not out yet ,,

When i built my Russian AKS last year i used a Firing line reciever..

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#11]
ORF looks like it will be the way to go. I just cant figure out for the life of me WHY any manufacturer would put a big dookie eagle or company emblem on the side of thier recievers?!?

They know we are all looking for a close-as-it-gets  AK reciever reproduction. I guess you could try to fill it in with something after you get it. I cant stand the OOW logo on thier recievers either..

Just engrave the company name for crying out loud and call it soup!!! I really cant wait till we all see a 100% accurate reproduction stamped and milled recievers out for sale..
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#12]
After the reports on ORF's Galil receiver, I'm not holding my breath on their AK receiver.

It would be cool if Arsenal Inc. would sell receivers...They could mark them with a different model number so it would be obvious they didn't leave the factory as complete rifles if they're worried about it...
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:33:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The thing with Arsenal Inc. selling bare receivers is that they can barely make enough for their rifles that go out the door.

Yeah, it would be cool.............but I honestly don't see it happening.

I don't either.

But it would be cool.

Even if they did, they'd probably cost so much that building a $150 PLO kit on one would just be stupid.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:35:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
After the reports on ORF's Galil receiver, I'm not holding my breath on their AK receiver.

It would be cool if Arsenal Inc. would sell receivers...They could mark them with a different model number so it would be obvious they didn't leave the factory as complete rifles if they're worried about it...

================
What's the issue(s) with the ORF Galil milled receiver? details, please.  Also, who has a projection on cost/availability of the AK milled receiver?  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:39:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
================
What's the issue(s) with the ORF Galil milled receiver? details, please.  Also, who has a projection on cost/availability of the AK milled receiver?  

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=92&t=68980
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Todd has said that their AK receivers are going to be like $500+

I really hope I misread it... I'm on the verge of selling my milled kits because of that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I know its expensive.  I'm just hoping they will be price competitive with what is already on the market.

If not, milled kits for sale, krinkov kit purchased.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top