Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/12/2005 8:13:16 AM EDT
I am thinking of going with the ACE set up...

Does "cut the dang tang"  mean what I think it does?  Cut the thing off?  I'm not sure that I want to do permanent changes to my rifle?

Anyone do this?  Tell me what your thoughts are?  I'm not sure I want to make it so that I can't go back...

Tell me what you think?  I want to put the ACE folder on my hungarian?  Will it fit well?  Is it tight?   Solid platform?

Thanks

Don
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Means just what it sounds like...

Scary! ...not

Tiresome with a hacksaw, though

Got an ACE non-folder skeleton on my Bulgy, quite solid, no probs.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I may be misunderstanding your photos.  Did you cut off the top tang?  it looks like there were two on your weapon.  There is only one on top of my gun...

Its scary to me, cause it would mean that I would not be able to return my weapon to its origional configuration.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#3]
His is a milled rifle, with a top and lower tang.  In his images, he shows removing the lower tang.  it sounds like you have a stamped rifle, that only has the upper tang.  I wouldn't remove it personally.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, my bad, you necessarily don't need to cut anything.

You have a stamped receiver with just the one (top) tang, you get to keep it if you use the older style block pictured on this page
www.aceltdusa.com/adapters.htm

If you go for the "pro AK builders internal receiver block", then it's bye-bye for the dang tang.
www.aceltdusa.com/ak.htm
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I may be misunderstanding your photos.  Did you cut off the top tang?  it looks like there were two on your weapon.  There is only one on top of my gun...

Its scary to me, cause it would mean that I would not be able to return my weapon to its origional configuration.  

If you don't like the folder, any worthwhile AK smith could install a new rear trunion in your rifle and you'd be good to go for a normal stock again.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#6]
'1911Gunner':

Because the rifle to be modified is a Hungarian AK, which are somewhat rare, I would first find another rear block that could replace the original. This second block could then be modified by cutting off the upper tang. You would have the original, unmodified rear block if you ever wanted to go back to a straight stock configuration.

Harlan
FAC
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#7]
So I could keep my tang by just using one of ACE's universal receiver blocks?  I think I like that option better.  Forgive the NOOB question, but the trunion is the piece that is bolted inside the reciever, of which the tang is a part?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Where could I get a trunion?  I like the looks of the folder with the internal reciever block, but I would like to be able to replace  it and return my weapon to it's origional configuration.

Help?

Thanks guys for all your help!

Don
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#9]
How hard is it to replace the rear block?  Is there a faq or pics or something?

What about the tools I would need?  I want to be able to do it myself...Is that realistic?

Don
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#10]
You may already been given this link, but here are the rear blocks that K-VAR offers:

K-VAR rear blocks
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#11]
To replace the rear tang yourself, get a $25 bolt cutter rivet tool from cwtoyota or make one yourself from 18" cutters. All you need to be able to do is drill out and squeeze rivets.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#12]
tagged
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I had some issues installing ACE's Cut The Dang Tang receiver block in my Norinco MAK-90. You can read about them at ACE receiver block and folding stock on Norinco MAK-90, stock tang cut/removed.  I guess this receiver block is designed for a European spec receiver instead of a Chinese one, but ACE made no mention of this and may not even be aware of the problem. That being said, I am satisfied with the end result and like the appearance and function of their folding stock. Sounds like you would have no problems installing one on your Hungarian receiver and I wouldn't hesitate to install one on a European spec receiver myself. I was also a little leary of a permanent modification like cutting the stock tang off, but now that it's done I'm glad I did it. Those receiver blocks that stick out to the rear just look goofy. The new ACE block and folding mechanism has a very clean, compact look to it and seems very sturdy.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top