Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/11/2005 4:59:03 AM EDT
A while back I bought a Russian side folder stock set from K-Var and I want to install it on my Saiga-12 project.  It comes with a bunch of parts and I wondered if you guys have experience installing these stocks.  I have built three AK's and modified my Saiga to the PG style so I have the experience.  I just need some decent instructions or list of possible pitfalls to the project.

K-Var Stock
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:29:58 AM EDT
[#1]

I did mine, but with the Bulgarian version. Cutting the rear of the receiver was rather straightforward - it's just a tad scary when you actually start the cut. I found that the Bulgarian rear trunnion needed to be thinned a few thousandths to fit properly on account of the the thicker receiver on the Saiga-12. Two sets of holes for the rivets are already there and line up perfectly. You'll only need to drill the lowest, rearmost one. I welded shut the orginal trigger holes.

The front latch was the most difficult part because there isn't enough room between the front trunnion and the receiver for the latch and its accompying hardware. I had to thin the latch hook internally, then modified it so I could attach a spring.

That's a drawing of my latch mod. I welded an extension to the latch. A spring goes into a hole drilled into the extension. The other end of the spring goes into a recess drilled into the handguard - kind of a hack, but it works.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I think I saw the pictures of your mod on Saiga-12.com a while back.  It inspired me to add a cool stock to my Saiga.  The rear trunnion doesn't bother me it is the thought of cutting my receiver up front.  Yikes...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been doing a lot of Saiga conversions this last year , I really would go with the Ace folder for the shotgun. It's way easy to install and a lot more comfortable to shoot .
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The front latch was the most difficult part because there isn't enough room between the front trunnion and the receiver for the latch and its accompying hardware. I had to thin the latch hook internally, then modified it so I could attach a spring.

That's a drawing of my latch mod. I welded an extension to the latch. A spring goes into a hole drilled into the extension. The other end of the spring goes into a recess drilled into the handguard - kind of a hack, but it works.

There's not a whole bunch of room on a standard trunion for the latch.  Have you done a standard trunion, as well?

The factory folders have the same stock and a latch up front.. can anybody say for sure if they use a standard latch?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:50:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

There's not a whole bunch of room on a standard trunion for the latch.  Have you done a standard trunion, as well?

The factory folders have the same stock and a latch up front.. can anybody say for sure if they use a standard latch?

On the Saiga-12, there is just the thickness of the latch hook between the trunnion and the receiver. The bigger barrel and chamber required for the 12 gauge shell really decreases the amount of space available. You can see how much lower the latch is than on a regular AK. I'd love to see how they did the factory latch on 12C.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top