Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2005 7:56:19 PM EDT
I have quite a few Bulgarian Waffle mags, in 30, 40, 10 and even 5 round cappacity, just wondering what kind of mags we're originally used by the Originals? I have seen a few AK-74's with Bakelite mags, can those be picked up for ak-47's? and Where? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Those are cool! Gonna look around and see what I can find. Bakelites look good, not sure how strong or how they perform. Thanks Templar
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#4]
heavy aint the word, I have one here on my desk I do curls with..hehehe
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

In case you ever lose your AK, you could always use a loaded slabside as a fairly effective club.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Not exactly sure what date the ribbed mag took over and the slab side died, but the most common AK-47 (by quantity produced) typically was issued with the ribbed mag; and in my collection, I usually reserve the slabbers for the type 1 and type 2 varaints of the rifle... so basically '56 and beyond is ribbed... Certainly some slabbers were issued to the T3 guns for some time, but me being the purist die hard, I can't stand to see a slabber in a T3....
OK, then you have got ribbed mags being replaced with the bakelite .30 cal mag somewhere in the mid to late 60's...those are tough as nails, and in many respects perform much better than any steel mag produced up until that time. Corrosion resistant, dent proof, self lubricating, lighter, and theoretically cheaper to make.  Bakelite continued through most of Soviet 5.45 AK-74 production, until sometime during the Afghan war '79-'89, the plum PA-6 polymer mags were being manufactured in quantity.  Then, post soviet mags were developed using another engineering plastic, and this time they were able to make the formula with carbon black.
That's my general late-night synopsis on the mag thing-
-C
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:18:54 AM EDT
[#8]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/patm41/BlueMag-1.jpg
The park can be removed and then blued,, I bought 6 from joeken and they all came
out great..
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:51:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In case you ever lose your AK, you could always use a loaded slabside as a fairly effective club.

Careful, talk about head bashing on ARfcom is a touchy subject these days.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top