Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/10/2005 2:28:34 PM EDT
Thinking about making my first AK purchase...and so far, all I know is that it's a Romanian underfolder AK in pristine condition.

What else do I need to know about Romanian AK's?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Its an underfolder??? must have been a kit. Usually you only see side folding stocks on Romanians. Can you post a pic. Romanian AKs are alright. Usually you have to make a couple of mods to make it better...new FCG and wood usually helps alot.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Who told you it was in "pristine condition"?   There's this used car salesmen who.....................  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, the Romanians build a good AK.  I personally will only buy from their SAR line.  But from what I understand their ALL good.   Sounds like you found a kit gun.  Just out of curiousity, how much$
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:15:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yes, the Romanians build a good AK.  I personally will only buy from their SAR line.  But from what I understand their ALL good.   Sounds like you found a kit gun.  Just out of curiousity, how much$

He wants $550 for the rifle.

Here's the actual ad for this AK, for what it's worth. I've emailed the guy asking what type of Romanian AK is the parts set from:

"I have a Romanian Underfolder being built on an OOW by Ken at Global Military supply. The kit was in excellent condition when I bought it, bore was bright and shiny. The build includes a full park job too. $550 would be reasonable. Kit and receiver were 250 + build job was $275 and about $85 worthof US made Parts. The one being built is very similar to the Vector underfolders, except its in a OOW rceiver (much better than Vector) and has the SAW pistol grip and HG."

What impression do you guys get from this? His claim mthat it's much better than a Vector sort of sits strange w/ me. And what does an AK with SAW handguards actually look like? Can't picture these handguards on an AK....

The pistol grip and handguards are completely secondary to whether or not the rifle itself is worth owning. I actually don't like AK pistol grips at all...so that's no big deal. If the handguards look good, fit good, no problem there either. Is the rifle made well, or is it a P.O.S? That I need to know....and I know next to nothing about AK's, let alone Romanian AK's.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#6]
And check out this Romanian AK web page....

Romanian AK Web Page..................

Seems to indicate they aren't too bad....but obviously they're a little biased?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#8]
If Ken at Global is building it, then it will be a good build.

He's got a good reputation for his work.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
And what does an AK with SAW handguards actually look like?

I think he means a SAW pistol grip.  They don't make SAW handguards for the AK AFAIK.

Look here to see SAW grips on AKs....

www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=67267
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:10:23 AM EDT
[#10]
The sellers says in the sale ad posted above "it's being built on an OOW". What does that mean exactly?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:14:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The sellers says in the sale ad posted above "it's being built on an OOW". What does that mean exactly?

OOW = Ohio Ordnance Works.  They make high quality AK receivers.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:24:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks R.C....I appreciate the info.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:39:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:20:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, what's my choice here then? Rather than gamble with the unknown, is there a source for high quality underfolder AK's? Anywhere?

I've looked and just don't see them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:35:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Well, what's my choice here then? Rather than gamble with the unknown, is there a source for high quality underfolder AK's? Anywhere?

I've looked and just don't see them.

If you are concerned call Ken at Global and see what he can tell you about this underfolder build.

www.globalmilitarygunsmithing.com/_wsn/page2.html
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:46:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
except its in a OOW receiver (much better than Vector) and has the SAW pistol grip and HG."

what is he talking about???  Vector uses OOW receivers except they add a Vector Arms stamp on the side
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Unless it is an ARSENAL or VEPR do not pay more than $370.  SAR's are great, WASR are basically the same but with cheaper uglier furniture.  But I have an SAR1 and a Bulgarian 74 on order.  I love my Romanian SAR 4000+rds no problems, 10-15 ammo manufacturers from several countries.  It digest the poorest quality ammo and has never failed.  It is not much to look at though.  Best $330 I ever spent on a rifle.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top