Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/10/2005 9:38:26 AM EDT
Okay, I have several AKs but I've never owned/shot any Hungarian variants.  A good friend is considering one for his very first AK & asked my advice, but I must defer to y'all.  He can get it wholesale (FFL relative)  and he's looking at the ones in the current SOG catalog with the pre-ban features (fixed-stock model).  Are these good rifles?  Should he look elsewhere or at something else?  He's an old-school AR/M1A guy and this will be his first foray into the dark side... I don't want him to have a bad first experience.

What says the AK brain-trust?...
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks - that's the kind of info I was looking for.  Have the SARs gotten any better, or are they still hit-and-miss? (canted sights, etc.)  I've gotten a couple of nice SARs for the money, but I hand-picked mine & he won't have that option if he orders one.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#4]
You can find post ban butthole stocked hungarian SA85ms for $400 to $500 if you look around.,. They really are nice.  Of course, it'll need to be un-neutered, and that will run the cost up, but they really are nice.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You can find post ban butthole stocked hungarian SA85ms for $400 to $500 if you look around.,. They really are nice.  Of course, it'll need to be un-neutered, and that will run the cost up, but they really are nice.

I walked into my favorite gun shop a couple of months ago and found an SA85M for $350.  The owner had gotten it in trade.  From the finish, there probably hadn't been more than 20 rounds fired through it.  I snapped it up on the spot and switched out the parts.  It has no bayo lug or threaded barrel, but I wouldn't give up the rifle for anything.  It is just beautiful.  

I agree that the post-ban 'butthole stocked' ones are worth the $400-500 people are asking.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#6]
HardShell,

I have an AMD65 built by Redjacket, it's a real hot rod. It's on a Vector reciever. This sucker is really a fun shooter & pretty well accurate too. I've got Romy's, Bulgarian, Chinese & Hungarian. The Hungry one is one of my favorites.    
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Just curious, what is the going price for the Kassnar preban non-folder?  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just curious, what is the going price for the Kassnar preban non-folder?  

I've seen them going for around $1500.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Here's a post-Ban I made "Honest" a couple of months ago.  I love the Hungarians BTW
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is a link to a Hungarian underfolder from someone that was selling it in the EE here

pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gunnarrockhound/detail?.dir=/7c2b&.dnm=48d1.jpg&.src=ph

They make one purtyyyyy AK
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got about 4000 rounds through my FEG SA-85M since it's last cleaning. The thing works great and is very accurate. I'd like to find another, but it's kinda tough.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I had my post ban converted into an AMD-63 no-ban.  At least, it's an AMD-63 part of the time, the rest of the time I swap out gas tube and handguards and it's a pre-ban (no-ban) with a regular handguard.  Very cool, very hungarian.

I need a nicer butt stock for it, though, the one I have isn't as nice as it should be.  Anybody have a nice, blonde hungarian fixed stock to trade?

~Doug
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Guys, thanks for all the info!  But I don't think I was clear enough in my initial post...

My friend is not the "build-it" or "order-a-custom-build" type.  I love my ORF '74, but he's not going to go that route.  He's on a tight budget, has a family member with an FFL who'll order for him at cost, and just wants to order a complete, ready-to-fire rifle.  He wants a fun blaster that will use the same ammo as his SKS - he won't ever use this AK for anything serious (like I said, he's a AR15/M1A guy).

What I should have asked was:  Does anybody here have any experience with the AKs that SOG is selling as "Hungarians," and are they decent for the money?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:10:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:29:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Not seeing it on their web site, but if it is AMD-based then he'd be ordering a kit build anyway.

I haven't found them on the web or seen the catalog, either, but I was thinking they were probably AMD builds.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top