Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/6/2005 5:28:19 PM EDT
Hello

I am thinking of picking up a Saiga 7.62X39 16.5 inch for $230.00 and was wondering what you all thought.  I am NOT planning on converting it to pistol grip.  I am going to keep as original.  

1) Is this rifle any good?  I do have a couple AKs, SKSs and ARs so I do know a little about firearms.  So tell me what you think. I an just looking for a fun little gun thats different than eveything else that I have.

2) I saw some 30 rd Saiga mags on the net for $29.00.  have any of you seen and/or used these mags?  Are they any good?

3) Any other comments please.

Thanks,
Medic 0372
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:57:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Great rifle. You will like it. Go for it as they are going to be hard o find for a while as I heard the importer EAA will not have any till the summer.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:05:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:27:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Someone here or on another board got an email back from EAA cancelling their order for hicap saiga mags also saying that EAA would no longer be importing saigas. If you want one and know where one is, I'd snag it. Very good guns!

I think I'm going to try to snatch a 12ga. I'd been putting it off forever.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I would say get it while you can at the price you can get it at. Whoever imports them after EAA will probably jack the price. A russian made AK even at that price is a good deal.

I just bought a Saiga 7.62 last weekend at a gun show. I kinda like the sporter look of it after having several SKSs and AKs. I am not going to convert mine to a pistol grip either but I probably will convert it to use AK mags since I already have a couple dozen of them for my other AKs.

The mag conversion looks to be fairly easy and certainly cheaper than $29-39 Saiga mags. I will probably tackle the conversion this weekend.

www.saiga-12.com has lots of info on these rifles and shotguns.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry I ment to edit my post and ended up quoting myself, and of course you can't delete your own friggen posts on this site.  grrrrr.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#6]
The news that I have been reading on the net is Remington has bought into the company that makes Saiga's.  I don't see how that can be good.   Also,  it takes 8 months for a new importer to get things going having to deal with the government.    I wanted a 20 ga. and this all put my butt in gear.  I called 3 dunham's before I found one and promptly went and put it in layaway.  They all had 410's and the one where I put the gun in layaway had 2 rifles.  I don't know what will happen, but alot of times if you sit on the fence on things, you might be sorry later....
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Well...thanks everyone.  I just picked it up today, $219.00 out the door from Dunhams.  
I took it to the range and put 140 rds thru it.  I got it zero'ed in at 50 yds...it was starting to get dark.  This gun is very nice and very fun to shoot.  It came with 1 10 rd mag.   NO problems.

Where can I get more mags for this thing?

Well, I recommend this rifle.

Take care,
Medic 0372
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#8]
You might try CDNN for mags, they used to carry them, not sure if they still do
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had mine for 4 or 5 years now, and can't complain.  It's been a good inexpensive AK.

I do wish that it had a pistol grip however.  But obviously in your post, you stated that pistol grip wasn't a concern.

As far as price, that's basically what I've been seeing them go for.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:47:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well...thanks everyone.  I just picked it up today, $219.00 out the door from Dunhams.  
I took it to the range and put 140 rds thru it.  I got it zero'ed in at 50 yds...it was starting to get dark.  This gun is very nice and very fun to shoot.  It came with 1 10 rd mag.   NO problems.

Where can I get more mags for this thing?

Well, I recommend this rifle.

Take care,
Medic 0372

If you don't mind the 10rd mags, www.krebscustom.com has spare mags for sale in their parts section of their website.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:07:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks...I just looked up CDNN and ordered 10.  They have them for $9.99 each.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top