Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/6/2005 9:16:47 AM EDT
Man, there's a million gunsmiths out there. Somebody's got to be in the business of working with AK's.

I have an SLR 95 with the black thumbhole stock and that long silly slotted muzzle brake. It's the one that was sold by Arsenal/ Global 5 years ago.

Is there any way to convert this thing to a blond furniture AK I can be proud of with the correct muzzle attachement. I don't want to jack with it, and wish to find someone COMPETENT that can convert it to the legal parts count in the conversion.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Its not that hard to do your self or at least the trigger group and stock set arent. I would just track down a U.S. made stock set I believe Iron Wood has many different options and then a U.S. trigger group fron Tapco maybe.  The stock takes no skill and the trigger group VERY little its something you could get done in a half hour or so. As far as the break I really cant help you there I know theres a barrel threading kit being rented out on the EE that might be a good place to start.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Here we go again.... DOES ANYBODY KNOW AN EXPERIENCED AK SMITH?

The tang and muzzle brake are iffy situations for the beginner.

You know, this is not like when you try to fix your tub faucet, and you just run back and forth to your hardware store for more parts and advice until you get it done. Taint too many AK parts and people familiar with it at your local Home Depot. (the same lack at your local gun shop)  

An AK smith will know right away about the SLR95, what he can and can't do and CAN PROPERLY ADVISE ME BEFOREHAND. HE WILL ALSO KNOW WHAT LOOKS RIGHT ON THIS WEAPON AND WHAT DOESN'T. (I thought that slotted muzzle brake was real neat 5 years ago when I bought the rifle!! Maybe if somebody told me back then it was retarded looking, I would have listened)
IF IT'S IMPRACTICAL, HE CAN TELL ME TO DROP THE WHOLE IDEA AND SELL THIS NEW RIFLE BEFORE I SCREW IT UP.

I thought it would be nice to have a normal looking milled Bulgarian AK....IF POSSIBLE!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys,

But I overlooked that this rifle doesn't have the bayo lugs on it either. I would imagine that if it weren't for the import laws, this milled Bulgarian rifle should still have had the bayo lugs on it. Right?

So, there's not much I could do to correct that.  I'd be better off selling this new unfired rifle and buying one the way I want it.

I'll keep looking for an authentically close AK, preferably with blond wood furniture.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#6]
VaniB, there are tons of smiths out there that can do what you are asking.  The only problem is that most are buried in work right now with the post AWB backlog.  

Here is a pic of my old SLR95 (purchased new in 1996).  I upgraded the stock, FSB and Gasblock and installed an A2 style Flashider.  I did all the work myself and used nothing more than a dremel and handfile.  I understand your desire for an "authentic" looking AK but for quality, the Bulgarian built SLR's can't be beat and I own 9 AK's from various countries.  My only regret was that I intalled a 90 degree gas block instead of a 45.  I chose to stay with the polymer though.  I would stay with the SLR....JMO.

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
not sure if the SLR had or has any now

Stock SLR's are 100% import

That will give you your required 6 US parts

SLR's are milled so they only require 4 parts to bring it to 10, 5 with muzzle device.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:47:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Knock $2.50 off for the follower

Aren't you the giver

VaniB, this is a good price for a quality conversion and it sounds like Newt actually WANTS to do it.  Thats half the battle right there!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:01:40 AM EDT
[#11]
VaniB...I had a very similiar rifle, the SA-93(same version but with wood stock and without the muzzle device) I had it done July of 2003. JNEWT's pricing is about what I paid and I got a pretty good deal. I had a slant break put on. Ironwood stocks that took alot of work and money to look the way they do.

The person who did the gunsmithing work is now out of business but he did fantastic work.

Sadly, it doesn't have the bayonet lug and the slant break is permantly attached. I'll remedy that when I get around to it.

I would go with JNEWT. I hear he does great work

Here are a few photos:

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag.  I have an SLR that just needs the receiver milled for a lower tang and then the tang put on.  Nobody seems to be willing to just do just that.  I've already installed the RSA FCG and the upper and lower handguards & have the PG & buttstock ready to go.

ETA: gus, an optic rail's not a bad idea.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#13]
And another tag - I have an SLR-95 that I'd like to get upgraded as well. I already have the RSA trigger group in it so that won't need to be done. I'm thinking new gas block with bayo log, wood furniture, lower stock tange installed, removeable slant brake, and a side rail for optics.  Were these guns supposed to be parkerized? What about something like an underfolder stock?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Were these guns supposed to be parkerized?

the originals were zinc phosphated with a topcoat of cheap, black, semi-gloss paint of some sort (enamel? laquer? who knows?).

What about something like an underfolder stock?

adding the underfolder to a milled receiver requires re-profiling the rear of threceiver, weldind in a filler plate to the rear and machining the necessary folder pivot openings in the receiver wall.

i dont' know if jnewt is set up to do it, but i believe troy sellars (of inrange) is. i would guess ivestment grade firearms, mark graham at arizona response systems, derek at azex and a couple of others could tackle a project of that scope, also.

....Orrr I could just throw a wood stock on there!!!   Didn't realize it would need so much work! Maybe I'll just buy one of the Vector underfolders and have my SLR redone with wood furniture. Sounds like I'd break even on price.  I would like a nicer finish though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
VaniB...I had a very similiar rifle, the SA-93(same version but with wood stock and without the muzzle device) I had it done July of 2003. JNEWT's pricing is about what I paid and I got a pretty good deal. I had a slant break put on. Ironwood stocks that took alot of work and money to look the way they do.

The person who did the gunsmithing work is now out of business but he did fantastic work.

Sadly, it doesn't have the bayonet lug and the slant break is permantly attached. I'll remedy that when I get around to it.

Here are a few photos:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/triage1998/Bulgarian%20SA-93%20AK-47/BulgarianSA-93AK47015.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/triage1998/Bulgarian%20SA-93%20AK-47/BulgarianSA-93AK47006.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/triage1998/Bulgarian%20SA-93%20AK-47/BulgarianSA-93AK47020.jpg

That's a sweet-ass SA-93. I can't wait til I get mine done.

Where did you get your FSB? and what nationality is it?

It's Bulgarian.   ETA:  I thought you were talking about the gun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Here are a few photos:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/triage1998/Bulgarian%20SA-93%20AK-47/BulgarianSA-93AK47015.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/triage1998/Bulgarian%20SA-93%20AK-47/BulgarianSA-93AK47006.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/triage1998/Bulgarian%20SA-93%20AK-47/BulgarianSA-93AK47020.jpg

Who did the work?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Were these guns supposed to be parkerized?

the originals were zinc phosphated with a topcoat of cheap, black, semi-gloss paint of some sort (enamel? laquer? who knows?).

What about something like an underfolder stock?

adding the underfolder to a milled receiver requires re-profiling the rear of threceiver, weldind in a filler plate to the rear and machining the necessary folder pivot openings in the receiver wall.

i dont' know if jnewt is set up to do it, but i believe troy sellars (of inrange) is. i would guess ivestment grade firearms, mark graham at arizona response systems, derek at azex and a couple of others could tackle a project of that scope, also.

Not I (bummer) wish I was able to preform that but I am more of a basics kind of guy...lol...

Time for one of these:

machine

And it's $200 off!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Gus,
Naaaa....you don't want to try and do an underfolder modification on the SLR . I figured out quite awhile back it was easier to just spend a few bucks and buy a SASM7  

Rickinvagas,
Jeeez....the more I look at pictures out there, the more I find out stuff I have overlooked. How come my SLR95 has no cleaning rod but yours does? I've noticed that the SAM7 and SLR101SB sold today at Arsenal also do or don't have the cleaning rod feature. Then again....some have a slant brake, three slotted brake, or no brake. I can't figure why so many differences!

JNEWT,
I appreciate your input, but really hate to call you and waste your time until I know what is authentic and what can or can't be modified. Upon examining my SLR 95, and comparing it with my SASM7, I noticed even the front sight assembly on the SLR will need to have a bayo lug on it. (not just the gas tube) There's also a multitude of muzzle brakes or even flash suppressors.

So perhaps here, maybe you or somebody else can volunteer and STRAIGHTEN ME OUT OF WHAT I CAN OR CANT HAVE TO HAVE A GENUINE STYLED AK. I WON'T DO STUFF THAT'S WAY OFF HISTORICALLY and looks like some  mixed up FRANKENSTEIN.  

YEA.... I'D LIKE  DULL ROMANIAN STYLE BLOND FURNITURE, AND BAYO LUGS FOR MY SLR95 , AND PROPER BRAKE (OR NO BREAK?... IF THAT'S REAL)
BUT,
WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IS WHAT BELONGS ON IT OR WHAT DOESN'T BELONG ON IT TO BE GENUINE.

If somebody will tell me that blond dull Rumanian wood furniture doesn't belong on it, then I won't put it on. Red wood? Black plastic? Wood and plastic grip?
Or, that a front lug can't easilly be put on the SLR easilly......?
Or, that my rifle should or shouldn't have the cleaning rod....?
Or, my three slot muzzle brake is OK , or needs to go, but it's soldered on?.

I really like this milled SLR receiver that says "Made in Bulgaria". It's got such a nice clunk sound when you chamber it, and such a nice trigger.
BUT CAN I MAKE MY DREAM RIFLE OUT OF IT?

I'd appreciate any info and guidance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Rickinvagas,
Jeeez....the more I look at pictures out there, the more I find out stuff I have overlooked. How come my SLR95 has no cleaning rod but yours does?

Because I changed the FSB and GB to accept the cleaning rod.  Like I said in my earlier post, I wish I had gone with the 45 degree GB instead of the the 90.  IMO, AKs need cleaning rods and don't need ugly muzzle things.  Yes I spent some money doing the conversion but I only paid $199 for it new so what the hell.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Templar,
Thanks for your help here as well as with my other post about the bolt that was staying open.

Rickin Vegas, I'm trying to make sence of what you are trying to tell me. I just don't know the weapon parts. I haven't even fired my AK's yet. I only know what looks good, and that I want genuine looking stuff. I'm looking at the various images on this thread and can't tell the difference between a 90 or 45 gas block, or what it is you did to include a cleaning rod. I can't see any differences in the images. For all I know, you simply drilled a hole into the front of the hand guard so you could stick a hanger wire or cleaning rod in there.  

But from what I think Templar is telling me anyway, a Bulgarian milled receiver shouldn't be getting blond wood furniture. Too bad, cause I really wanted the solid feel of the milled receiver I already have in my SLR 95, but I'm tired of the black plastic stuff already. (It's on my SASM7)

Templar,
What milled military Bugarian AK's (if any)were produced with that 3 slotted muzzle brake I currently have on my SLR 95? Or is it after market civilian stuff they stuck me with?  I figured if it is a genuine brake, then it might be easier to just leave it alone and mess with the rest of the rifle.
As far as the furniture goes....if you tell me that it's not genuine to go with blond wood on my milled AK, and that I thus must settle for new black plastic furniture, would my SLR 95 require too much modification to make it resemble one of your enclosed images, or at least something that's authentic looking?

I suppose it might get to a point that it might be easier for me just  to buy a new $799 ARSENAL and just sell my SLR 95 for  $450 (if  it would fetch that much)
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#26]
VaniB, here is a good tutorial on doing all the mods you are asking about.

www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110911

As you can see, it is not an easy job but it can be done with some common tools.

As for 90 vs 45, the SLR-95 basically has an AK-74 gas block (90 degree).  I wish I had thought about it when I was changing it anyway.  A 45 degree would have been more "authentic" for a '47.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Templar,

That's a nice weapon pretty much the way I'd be happy to own it! But no harm done you having sold it. I am sure that in another 6 months the supply and demand situation will finally be caught up, and we'll be able to find most anything we want at more reasonable prices.( ......as long as the Democrats don't start talking and trying to put AWB amendments onto evey bit of legislation the Republicans make)

I don't know why Arsenal is still pushing those 3 slotted muzzle brakes. It's still on there imports. You'd think by now they'ed have figured  out  a way around them. Or just leave them off and make it easy for us to put our own on! With all the collapsable stocks, flash suppressores, and Colt LEO weapons available out there, nobody has the patience for this kind of stuff from the AWB era.

I'm confused about the gas blocks. What does the 90 or 45 angle signify? I see images on the first page of this thread of the black rifles that have a 45 or a 90, but yet there's cleaning rods on both types. I don't understand technically what the advantages or disadvanteges are. Do I want a 45? Do I want a 90? Do I want the weapon with a cleaning rod? No cleaning rod? (Rickinvegas, thanks for the technical talk, but you didn't explain what gas block goes with rifle, or why you preferred one over the other.)

You know what features I have in that SLR 95: No cleaning rod, 3 slot muzzle brake, no bayo lug. Is it feasible to try and correct all this to be like the rifle you have pictured here? Seems like a tall order attempting to get it all corrected and transformed to what I desire.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Templar,
I assume that  while I am having the modifications you mentioned being done, I should also get a cleaning rod put onto my SLR95 for authenticity? Is it easy enough for an ak Smith to get a hold of all these surplus necessary parts to do the modification?  

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top