Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/1/2005 2:21:41 PM EDT
I will have to say for the money the SKS is a great rifle!  Only problem i have with it is the barrel is a little too long for a 762x39 rifle. I would like something a little shorter for getting in and out of my truck.

I was thinking of choping the barrel right after the front sight, or I was thinking of chooping it about a 1" after the gas tube and then welding on a flash hider.

anyone know of a good muzzel break or flash hider that will fit a sks?

Only problem with the second option is i will need to install a red dot and I will not have any backup sites
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
i wouldn't do it, myself.

the easier options are getting a 16" sks, used for about $250 or buying a new wasr with a folder for $359. no fuss, no muss!

yeah thats a option, problem is im in CA so guns are a little bit tougher to get and alot more expensive.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure if i follow your line of thinking.  If you use any kind of decent really reliable red dot such as an aimpoint then your going to have more in optics and mounts than rifle, kindof negating the primary appeal of an SKS, an inexpensive reliable firearm.

If you get anything else then you are putting a less reliable sighting system on a reliable rifle.  I would just chop of in front of the sight and maybe go with a lightweight stock and practice more.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you sure the gas system won't mind? There was at least one thread recently with a chopped Yugo that wouldn't cycle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Why not get a Saiga 7.62x39 with a 16" barrel?
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why not get a Saiga 7.62x39 with a 16" barrel?

The Kaliban won't let him have it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#8]
i chopped my yugo just in front of the gas block and i had to open the gas hole in the barrel to allow more gas to get throught o cycle the piston. It works fine with the fixed 10 round mag, but for some reason it will not function right with detachable mags. Im happy with a fixed mag, its quicker to reload with striiper clips anyway. I think the overall length on mine is around 33". I can post pics if you want.

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Smithy,

The detachable mags are mostly crap.  Ain't your fault it didn't work.

I would look for one of the "Para" versions out there.  Shorter and handier.  They were made exclusively for the commerical market.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#10]
The tang mags are designed to work SOMETIMES with Chinese AK's, haven't tried it on Russian or Yugo guns.  If you want to chop the barrel, feel free, but I wouldn't do it myself.  The SKS is handy enough as it is.  Sell the gun and buy an AK if you want shorter.  Heck, the Saiga's are a great deal at around $225 at most gun shows.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i chopped my yugo just in front of the gas block and i had to open the gas hole in the barrel to allow more gas to get throught o cycle the piston. It works fine with the fixed 10 round mag, but for some reason it will not function right with detachable mags. Im happy with a fixed mag, its quicker to reload with striiper clips anyway. I think the overall length on mine is around 33". I can post pics if you want.

images5.theimagehosting.com/DSCN0327.JPG

is that the one you chopped?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the looks of that Smithy!  I might do that tomy yugo, what the he' the bore is shot on it anyway.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

images5.theimagehosting.com/DSCN0327.JPG

Sweet!  I likes the looks of that better than the paras, but I'm strange like that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Smithy,  That is one sharp Yugo.  Did you turn the barrel down or open up the FSB to move it back.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top