Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2004 7:16:24 AM EDT
I'm not sure if this has been covered yet. I couldn't find it. I remember someone asking about it a while back and since I've just seen it a few days ago I'll give it a shot.
Video:
The usual AGI one step above camcorder video and sound, but you can see everything clearly and hear everything just fine. I do think they did a good job in compressing a lot of information into a relativley short period of time, 3 hrs and 20 somehthing minutes I beleive. One way they make up the time is to take things like installation of the trigger components and not to show it, but to refer you to another AGI course which is all about AK triggers. Same with heat treating and general field stripping assembly.
The focus of the video is mainly on building from a demilled kit which was previously assembled, and not on setting a new barrel where the pin hole needs to be drilled and sight block, etc. They do cover how the bend a flat, which I think is covered very good using their jig which has prints included. They spend a bit of time going over different reciever types from flats to the 1.6mm premades, which they do discuss milling down the trunnion for.
Their way of removing a barrel involes a auto stearing wheel puller and a barrel throat adaptor. They install the barrel with a jig made of allthread and a couple of nuts and adaptors, pretty ingenious. Others tools used include drill press, mill, dremel, and hand files. They do a good job of explaning how to do each operation with multiple tools.
Basic rifle assembly is done with rivets, and they use a couple of bucks, which they include prints for. They also show how to install the magazine catch and how to adjust for too tight or too lose magazine lock up as well as, how to headspace, which i think they covered quite well, and if you didn;t get it on the first go round you can always watch it again and again.
The prints they include are on copied paper, which are finctional. Nothing you brag to your engineering buddies about or would hang on the refridgerator, but they work.

Overall take, while they covers somethings in great detail, and something they gloss over, what they do show gives you a good enough idea of how to build an ak with rivets. They cover drilling new holes and in some detail about everything you'd need to build an ak. At the very least, after watching this video you will feel a lot less overwhelmed by the project, unless of course you allready knew how to.

All in all, if you have 60 bucks, and you want to know how to build an AK, then get the video.
I hope this helps. If anyone has specific questions feel free to ask, and I'll answer them the best I can.
Steve
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top