Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2004 6:25:19 AM EDT
can i get a completed reciver and then get a whole kit so i can put it together i have seen the blanks and all but canot find the barrels and all i dont know if i could put all the stuff in the reciver so i would also like to find a complete reciver so i can just bolt every thing together
           thanks for any help
                  david
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:08:32 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
can i get a completed reciver and then get a whole kit so i can put it together i have seen the blanks and all but canot find the barrels and all i dont know if i could put all the stuff in the reciver so i would also like to find a complete reciver so i can just bolt every thing together
           thanks for any help
                  david

You have a few choices when it comes to receivers. You can:

1) Buy a flat and "roll" your own. A plus to this method is you don't need to go through a FFL to obtain the receiver. A couple draw backs are the need to secure the rails inside the receiver and the necessary jig to bend the flat into the correct shape.

2) Buy a completed receiver such as a Ohio Ordnance Works receiver. This receiver requires a FFL for purchase and would only need the holes drilled and maybe some slight filing or triming to fit correctly. There are other receivers out there that come with pre-drilled holes, but you might stand the chance of the holes not lining up with the trunnion holes in your particular kit.

Kits:

There are numerous kits on the market, Bulgarian AK74's, Polish AK47's.... ect. Most kits come complete with every thing you need to complete the rifle. If you plan on doing a screw together build be sure your kit is a demilled weapon where the receiver was hacked in half with a chop saw or band saw and that the barrel is still installed in the front trunnion. I've seen some kits where the barrel was seperated from the trunnion. If this is the case then it might make more sense to spend the extra money and have the kit built for you using rivets.

What makes the screw builds nice is the ease of drilling out the rivets and simply tapping the holes to accept screws. If everything goes smoothly you can have a weapon built in one evening or two.

This was a quick run down of a couple of your options, I hope this helps out some and "Welcome to the Dark Side!"   Muuhahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

Forgot to add: You will still need to install the correct number of US compliant parts to make the rifle legal. Most people swap out the: FCG= counts as three US parts. Hand guards count as 1 US part. Your receiver will count as 1 US part. There are also US made pistol grips, complete stock sets and gas pistons along with US made magazine followers and base plates.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks quib
booger
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top