Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 6:33:48 PM EDT
I was thinking about ordering one and had a few questions.

My biggest question is can you have them put on a steel underfolder instead of that side-folder?
Can you pay the full amount right away instead of the 50% deposit?
How tough are the hanguards how many rounds before they melt?
Approximately how long will it take to get here?
Are there used bulgarian steel mags good or should I get new ones but I'm just concerned about reliability?
I heard people getting 2 inch groups at 100 yards or 50 can't remember but how accurate are they with barnaul fmj and a rest?

All info is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you want an underfolder?

IMHO they are a pain in the ass and uncomfortable as hell to shoot with, I am assuming you have never shot an AK with either otherwise you would realize how much better the cheak weld is.

The handguards are better than wood and will be more insulated and not get as hot as wood. There is a steel guard that reflects heat off of them. They are much more durable then wood.

If you want accuracy, get an Ar-15 or bolt rifle. The AK doesn't have as tight of tolerances as either one of those, that way it will function well in the sand, muck and everything else you would be afraid to throw your AR-15 into. The accuracy will be better than a 7.62 x 39mm which is good enough for plinking/zombie killing.

Who cares how long it takes, I would rather them take their time and do it right. I couldnt imagine the wait being more than a month

You can make payment in full by CC if you want.
quit dragging your feet and buy one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I was thinking about ordering one and had a few questions.

My biggest question is can you have them put on a steel underfolder instead of that side-folder?Dunno
Can you pay the full amount right away instead of the 50% deposit?Yes
How tough are the hanguards how many rounds before they melt?They won't.  They have a heatshield in them.
Approximately how long will it take to get here?Dunno
Are there used bulgarian steel mags good or should I get new ones but I'm just concerned about reliability?I have never heard of steel 5.45 mags.  The only kinds I know of are polymer and bakelite.
I heard people getting 2 inch groups at 100 yards or 50 can't remember but how accurate are they with barnaul fmj and a rest?They are as accurate as you describe once broken in.

All info is greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with all of the above and for what its worth I sent in my full payment cashiers check on Oct. 10th and recieved my rifle Yesturday! I don't like the underfolders but with them you can have a scope mounted and still fold up the stock. On the SEAK II the stock folds over the scope mount. Its not a problem for me, I'm going to shoot this one with irons anyway. It may be a little higher priced than your average AK but for a custom built gun the prices are right in line. The quality is excellent and the Blark finish is awesome! I can't imagine how anyone would be dissapointed. I'm going to shoot mine again at lunch time tomarrow, I love this thing!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#4]
no I haven't shot with either just like the look better probably just get side folder and then if i want to change i can.  I should have asked if the handguards had a shield in them.  Don't want an ar just wondered what groups people were getting.  Don't really care how long it takes was just curious.  The reason I'm waiting is because i'm waiting on money for my ar that i sold.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually to switch from a sidefolder to an underfolder would be damn near impossible. You would basically need a whole new receiver. (that is if you plan on only 1 rifle)

Reason I say that is you would have to do some serious gunsmithing to get an underfolder to work, drilling and cutting a hole in the rear of the receiver and attaching a totally different rear trunion. Once that is done you couldnt go back.

FWIW, The sidefolder from my experience is a beautiful thing. It has the great solid feel of a fixed stock with the convenience of folding.

Mental note: With a underfolder you have to remove the magazine to fold/unfold the stock. A little practive and you can have a sidefolder snapped in place in less than a second.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I can just stick with the side folder but if you have optics on it you just can't quite fold it all the way.  just  curious what is the stock made out of? polymer? plastic?  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Stock is made of steel.

I am a open sight shooter with my AK.

I keep the aimpoints and holosights on my AR's
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#8]
You do not have to remove the magazine to operate an underfolder *if* the magazine is a standard 30rd or smaller mag. 40rd mags are too long and drums are too wide, but the standard mag works just fine. I have a  "pre-ban" (kind of a misnomer now) Norinco undfolder and have been folding/unfolding it for years without removing the mag!

The underfolder looks cleaner but the sidefolder offers better ergonomics in my opinion.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top