Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/27/2004 5:41:22 PM EDT
I am new to the AK world, and need help with first rifle.  I have looked at all the post's, and need help deciding.  Which veriant's are the better ones and which ones do I want to stay away from?  Are the Russian, Chinese, or Romies the better one?  Atlantic Firearms has a AK47, RF109  based on a Romanian with upgraded crome lined barrel, muzzel brake for $439.  Would this be a good starter rifle, and is the price fair?  All and any in put would be greatly appreciated!!  Is the AK (7.62) any good for hunting, I have heard guys talk about it, but was wanting more in put on the subject.  Thanks for the help guys

mack
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#1]
As a good rule, all the stamped 1mm AK's out there, except Hesse/Vulcan, will shoot the same in reliability and accuracy. The main difference between a cheap, parkerized Romanian ($275) and a nice Polish build from Vector ($450) is fit and finish.

The model you list from Atlantic is a bit overprices IMO, for what you get. All AK's come with a chrome lined barrel standard. It's not an upgrade as they claim. A Romanian SAR or WASR hi-cap would be a good starter rifle since it is cheap and reliable.

As for hunting, the accuracy limitations of the AK keep deer hunting to within 200 yards. The cartridge is the same as the 30-30 and with soft points will perform well.

Schulze

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:28:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:07:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys, it is much appreciated!

Mack
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top