Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 7:19:48 PM EDT
I have a NIB Hungarian SA-85M (thumbhole stock) that I bought years ago. I am deciding if I should swap out the furniture and shoot it or keep it NIB and buy another to shoot? Will this rifle be worth anything years from now in NIB condition?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:00:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:13:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto Campy's comments, I put a walnut stock from these guys on mine: www.ironwooddesigns.com/2Aprodpage/1zAKproduct.html

A little sanding and a few (8-10) coats of Tongue Oil, she'll look quite sweet.....

Mike
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Right on, Campy!!!

headbang.gif
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have a NIB Hungarian SA-85M (thumbhole stock) that I bought years ago. I am deciding if I should swap out the furniture and shoot it or keep it NIB and buy another to shoot? Will this rifle be worth anything years from now in NIB condition?

Keep it as is, everyone is modifying theirs and killing the value. Yours will go up.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Listen to Campy.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:41:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Anymore opinions? Where can I get an original Hungarian stock set or do I need to keep a USA made stock set on it?    
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:57:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:06:13 AM EDT
[#8]
This is a fairly easy decision to make.

Put a US made stock set on it, with us FCG, and turn it into the gun it was MEANT to be.

Simply keep all the old furniture and extra parts stored someplace safe. That way if you do decide to sell it in the future, and the next owner wants it all original, you can simply put it all back on.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:08:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Why would anyone want a thumbhole stock on their AK if it wasn't a law giving you no choice? Take it off!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The butthole stock must go!!!  It will be worth more if you convert it as most people don't want post-ban style rifles.

Put on new Hungarian buttstock and pistol grip.  

Keep it "Authentic to the Hungarian pattern".

Make it evil!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top