Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/26/2004 10:23:15 AM EDT
Had my SAR 3 completely rebuild and refinished a while ago - looks real sharp. Got out to the range recent for the first time and had some major problems. The rifle seems accurate enough but would not function properly. The rifle would go full-auto (two or three rounds) or jam with the bolt locking back to the point of having to take the rifle apart to clear it.  I shot about 60 rounds of South African .223 with fairly consistant malfunctions. The trigger group is a RSA.  Any suggestions before I send it back to the smith....?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Had my SAR 3 completely rebuild and refinished a while ago - looks real sharp. Got out to the range recent for the first time and had some major problems. The rifle seems accurate enough but would not function properly. The rifle would go full-auto (two or three rounds) or jam with the bolt locking back to the point of having to take the rifle apart to clear it.  I shot about 60 rounds of South African .223 with fairly consistant malfunctions. The trigger group is a RSA.  Any suggestions before I send it back to the smith....?

Sounds like a trigger problem to me.  But I am not too familiar with the intricacies of the RSA trigger group.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
www.redstararms.com/uploads/RSA_trigger.pdf

Assuming the fcg is secured properly, no shepards hook mess, etc, this will walk you thru a better sear engagement.

DITTO - sounds like you just need to adjust the Red Star
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#4]
P. My semi-auto AK is firing of two-three rounds when I pull the trigger once
S. This malfunction can be dangerous because it can lead to a slam fire(the rifle then explodes). The most common cause for this is Century's crap fire control group. Some times they are not heat-treated correctly and can become worn out. The only course of action is to replace it with another fire control group.
If you are experiencing this with a Red Star Arms fire control group you have the trigger set to too light of a trigger pull or your Allen screws have changed position while firing (because you failed to lock-tite them) leading to a situation where your disconnector doesn't engage.

Another possibility is your Shepard hook is installed incorrectly and one of the axis pins has come lose causing the fire control group to become misaligned. Look at my fire control group installation tutoral to install it correctly.

And finally your firing pin could be clogged with cosmoline. To clean it follow my Bolt Disassembly tutorial and make sure it's free of any cosmoline when you put it back together.

Heres some info that should help some.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top