Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/25/2004 2:33:26 PM EDT
I have an SKS sporter -d. So it should already be compliant. So basically what can I do to it to make it evil.  I'm not sure about the bayonet or flash supressor  on an SKS. Since its'a sporter-d the comercially available folding stocks don't fit right because my magwell is different.  

How do the bayonets atach to SKSs and would adding one be plausable.  The FSB is close to the end of the barrel anmd isn't like a normal AK so i'm not sure about he best route to go in.

I'm trying to maximize the number of "assault rifles" I have while their legal.

Any info is appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I have seen and read about SKS-D's is that they are pre-89 rifles. If yours doesn't have the typical bayo mount its probably not a D. Post-89 Chinese SKS's can not have bayos or folding stocks unless you install enough US parts to make it a domestic weapon. Pre and post ban still applies to SKS's.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#2]
The pre 1989 ban SKS rifles that use AK mags are the "Sporter" model. The SKS-D and SKS-M are post 1989 ban models that use AK mags. The Sporter rifles have bayonet lugs and the post ban rifles don't. They have a square lump of steel with a hole drilled in it for the cleaning rod to pass through where the bayonet lug should be.
There are no US made internal SKS parts like for the AK rifles so adding any assualt rifle features you can't comply with federal law that says only 10 imported parts can be used. You will have to make the parts yourself as only US made stocks/handguard are available.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#3]
JA545, NOT TRUE! Check out Tapco, there are some U.S. made SKS parts, don't know if there are enough, I haven't paid attention but we have U.S. stocks, charging handle, muzzle device, magazines,  and (I believe) a Piston.
There might be enough to play with.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The SKS-D is a pre-89 weapon.  Tapco sells enough US parts for a SKS. Gas piston, operating rod, 5 rd mag (3), stock and hand guard.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#5]
well I guess the SKS will stay non-evil then. I'll just have to stick to making more AKs that are evil
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#6]
There is enough parts to make one evil. But you have to get that stupid 5 round mag. Which kind of defeats the purpose. I was reading up for a buddy and you need 6 parts. And I couldn't find 6...unless you get that magazine. Someone needs to make some trigger parts that are U.S. made. I'm sure a U.S. made trigger assembly would be at least 3-4 parts. Buddy wants to put a folder on his SKS with a hi-cap mag but I talked him out of it until he actually gets some U.S. parts. This kid has to bad of luck...he would be the poor bastard to go to prison because of the 922r.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top