Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/25/2004 1:33:02 PM EDT
I bought my MAK 90's back in 94-95. They have the thumbhole sporter stocks.....because they had to. Now I see new Romanian AK's on the wall in my local gunshops. What has changed in the laws to get around the thumbhole stocks?? Can I retro fit different stocks on to my MAK's??
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it can be retrofitted.   You are going to need 5-6 U.S. parts on the gun in order for it to be legal.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#2]
In reconfiguring your Chinese AK's, made sure that each rifle has no more than ten imported parts (from a very specific list of twenty designated parts). By replacing certain of these parts with U.S. parts, you can reduce the imported parts count.

Harlan
FAC
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies, but why are the new Romanian AK's able to have traditional AK stocks rather than thumbhole stocks? Do they come with 5-6 US parts on them already?
One more question, am I limited to they type of stocks I can put on my MAK's....like a folding stock?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies, but why are the new Romanian AK's able to have traditional AK stocks rather than thumbhole stocks? Do they come with 5-6 US parts on them already?
One more question, am I limited to they type of stocks I can put on my MAK's....like a folding stock?

YES. the Romanian AKs already have the US parts installed.

NO, you're not limited to what type of stock you put on your AKs. ie. folding, as long as you have the correct # of US parts. ETA: As long as you are not restricted on the state level... Some states have their own versions of the AWB that do not sunset/expire such as the 1994 federal AWB!

The 94 ban is gone, this allows you to add flash hiders and folding stocks... But only to "Domestic firearm" since the 1989 import ban still applies.

Once you add the US parts, you have a "domestic rifle" and are free to mod as you please as long as you don't fall below the US parts count.

Here's a handy link: THE PARTS COUNT QUESTION...

Sly
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#5]
You will also have to look at the reciever. If it is a straight cut reciever, you're in business, however, if it is a slant cut reciever, you have some limiting choices. Currently only Ironwood designs and MSG produce stocks to fit the angle cut recievers. I speak from experience....I own an angle cut MAADI........

archer2
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:49:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I recently converted my MAK90 from a thumbhole stock to a pistol grip setup.

I bought a TAPCO G2 trigger group = 3 U.S. parts

TAPCO gas piston (I wouldn't do this unless you have access to some tools) = 1 U.S. part

choate lower handguard = 1 part

ultimak = 1 part

TDI ergo pistol grip = 1 part

CAR telescopic stock = 1 part (possibly)

You need a total of 5 parts. A really easy way to get 2 parts is to install a U.S. made follower and floorplates to all your magazines. That combined with a new trigger group would be all you need to make your MAK legal.

Here is mine now.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I realize that a lot of you like to talk about the required number of U.S. parts on imported semi-auto rifles, but remember that there is no federal requirement for U.S. parts. Rather, the federal regulations limit the number of imported parts allowed. U.S. parts are employed to make functional, a rifle that is missing a number of parts removed to reduce the number (to no more than ten) included in the rifle.

Harlan
FAC
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I emailed you azjeeper.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top