Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/24/2004 6:07:50 PM EDT
Hey Folks,

Being of the school of thought that there are no stupid questions, only stupid people asking questions:

Is the bolt "catch" that occurs when I pull the bolt back and depress the trigger on my AK-74 a feature of the rifle or an accident ?

When I pull the trigger the bolt moves forward a about  3/4 of an inch and locks, which and allows access to the chamber. When I again pull the bolt all the way to the rear and pull the trigger, it allows the bolt to travel all the way home.

I just wanted to make sure before I used the "feature" to  keep the bolt open in the future for access to the chamber/bore.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is anything like my 47 it is due to the bolt catching on the hammer. It can be used as a bolt hold-open but hey...it's your fingers and not mine. I personally would not trust it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I would use one of those Swift safety levers that has the notch in it to hold open the bolt.  
Swift Safety Lever
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#3]
The bolt catch trick only works with the original FCG.  If you replace it with an RSA FCG, it won't work.  All its doing is tripping the hammer and causing the friction between the hammer and bolt to hold the bolt open.  Any little movement or jarring will cause the bolt to slam shut.  Of course, it will only slam shut when you have you finger in the way.

Like 0100010 said, you could get a SWIFT safety lever, or you can notch your lever with a dremel and save $35.  Hey... why not spend a little more and get the RSA FCG and do the lever yourself?  In the end, you'll have a better and more fun to shoot weapon.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#4]
AK-USA conversions of saiga rifles have a built in, purpose designed bolt hold open. Works well.  Pull the bolt back, hold the button in, until the bolt comes forward on it, and good to go.  Just pull back and release to let it go.  

Its the lever by the rear of the trigger built into the reciever.  

And a slightly different angle.  AK-104, still needs SBR and a folding stock.

*Edited to add,  Of the 4 I have, this is far and away my favorite AK.  AK100 folding stock is enroute!  You do indeed get what you pay for.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I cut my own notch in my safety lever.  I make the front of the notch square to the bolt handle for a positive hold-open, and angled the back of the notch  twards the rear and up a bit so while it's holding the bolt open all you to need to do is pull back on the bolt handle (This will push the saftey lever down) & let er' go..., it will slam into full battery very simular to the way slide stop on a 1911 works!!

"Slick as you please!!"

Where da' MUFF??
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats a pretty good idea for a do it yourself.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#7]
The Yugo AK's that used to be imported had a bolt hold-open that was locked by the mag follower.  This was kid on a neat feature on the Yugo.  Problem is, it only works with the Yugo mags and as soon as you remove the mag the bolt slams shut.  It was only intended to let the shooter know he was out of ammo, not to make reloading easier.  That's your (partially) on-topic trivia for the day!  

headbang.gif
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I have this same "feature" on my SAR-1 and it caused numerous fail to feeds on my last trip to the range.  It seems though its getting much worse. he
thx,
Sam
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I polished the top corner of the hammer to a slightly softer curve to correct this (feature/problem). I didn't like it because it made me think that it wasn't functioning 100% and caused bumpfire issues sometimes. It did as I intended. I also took everything else out and polished it with an abrasive impregnated rubber wheel on a dremel. Apparently I didn't hurt anything because I'm now thousands of rounds into this gun after this mod with no foul ups. I also kindof figured that if I did screw the pooch, a quick call to RSA would solve it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:37:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Gun,   I'll give it a try. thx for the suggestion.
S-
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks CampyBob,  I was looking at the G2 (or is it now Tapco??) FCG and based on the feedback from you and others in another thread, I think the RSA is the way to go.  One reason I was looking at the G2 (~$40) was the lower price but in looking around there's not that much difference (Ive found the RSA for ~$74).  Until I get it in, though, I'll try to polish up the carrier  and bolt surfaces like you said.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't trust it.  I have a Tapco G2 on one of mine and it did that at first too.  As the rifle gets broken in, it stops working.  A bad habit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I was at the range (outdoor range, requires guns locked open for All Safe) when someone had a CAI that they were doing this to "lock open". As they shot it more and more, the hammer wore in and it became harder and harder to do. By the time they left, it wasn't hanging on it at all anymore.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top