Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 5:56:23 PM EDT
Which of the two do you guys think is a better gun ? Which would be easier to build and to find compliance parts for ?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#1]
FAL is easier to build and find US parts by far..

G3 for the cool factor..
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:48:17 AM EDT
[#2]
get both
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:05:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:21:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a few Fals and 2 Cetmes.  I have built 2 Fals.
Fal is easy to build and I feel a better overall design for a Battle rifle.  Cetme is fun to shoot and cheap to buy, but harder to build.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got both,three G3's and a South African FAL.Both are great battle rifles,the FAL has a more sophisticated appearance,somewhat easier mag changes and is easier to clean.The G3 is handier due to its shorter length,mag changes are greatly enhanced with the G3 mag release flap.

Mags are cheap for both while G3 mags are a little cheaper,price wise not in quality.You can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I am not qualified to discuss the FN, but I have experience with G3 & CETME rifles.
I owned a preban German HK-91 and a CIA CETME...here are my observations...

1.  I hated the HK turret sights, I thought the CETME sights were easier to use.

2.  Both rifles DESTROY YOUR BRASS...G3's are not for reloaders.  I don't know if FN's have this characteristic as well.  That is a major reason I dumped my CETME.

3.  If you buy from CIA, be prepared to spend hours getting it to work right (mags to fit, working with it so that it can be field-stripped easily, smoothing out the trigger-group, breaking it in so that it can chamber smoothly).  CIA makes rough guns.  Even my CIA ROMAK needed work.

In all, I think these rifles don't live up to the hype.  I might try an FN someday, but I think the M-14's are probably the best of the .308 battle rifles.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#8]
FAL, easily. I've got 3 of them, and if kits were still easy to find and afoordable, and I had the spare cash, I'd have more. Probably a LOT more.

FAL is easier to build (no welding involved), easier to find parts for. I've not shot a G3 or CETME, but know a few people that have them, and they have complained about the recoil. One of my buddies has an HK 91 and he said that when he put the synthetic stock set he bought on it, it made the recoil way worse. Punishing. Plus the HK charging handle is way up front, not a consideration for some people but I wouldnt want to try operating the damn thing when in the prone, involved in a friendly Friday Night Firefight.

IF you want a battle rifle, the FAL is the way to go. If you want a target rifle, get an M1A. Either one beats the ever-loving dogshit out of the HK's, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to be a G3 Fan it didn't last long...I tried a DSA SA58 Standard and knew that it was to be the Battle Rifle on my list of must haves...

Here is a pick of  a CETME and the DSA SA58STD for comparison.

all the firearms pictured here belong to member brentwal

MT
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:40:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
get both

+1
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:39:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:44:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
the fal is far easier to build. compliance parts are available for both rifles.

the fal is the superior design imo.

+1
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#13]
FAL is a much better design IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I cant pass up a good opportunity to flash my favorite rifle......

93 countries cant all be wrong.

FAL,  Right Arm of the Free World.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top