Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/18/2004 8:05:01 PM EDT
Nearby place is finally going under. I knew it would happen since their prices were horrible. First thing I noticed was some beat up CETME rifles. Had a $400 price tag. About 6 months ago they had some in better shape for $300. Then I noticed they had some WASR-10s with bayonets. For the amazingly low price of $500 woooo. Then a romy with a fixed folder...$450. New m14 was $1400...I'm not sure but thats is about correct isn't it?

They did have a really nice mosin 7.62x54 for 99$. I may pick one up.

But then I noticed the best deals of all. Crappy 30 round ak mags...$30!! And 20 round mags for $25. I was talking to an older guy and showed him my AK with the CAR stock and stuff and he seemed amazed. He didn't know what it was. Then I asked him why he was selling the mags for some much. He said that they were only marked up 4$. I laughed...told him I just ordered 6 20 rounders new in wrap from TAPCO for 5$ each and he called me a liar. What a dumbass.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:09:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I really like those 20 rounders Tapco has, good quality mags that are just right size not too big and not too small for only $4.99 a piece. All the local gun stores around here are way overpriced as well, Norinco Mak90s are priced at 600$.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:11:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Stuff overpriced here, I rarely shop local
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:38:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Who's going under?

Around the charleston area?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:04:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:25:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
He said that they were only marked up 4$. I laughed...told him I just ordered 6 20 rounders new in wrap from TAPCO for 5$ each and he called me a liar. What a dumbass.

once again, bullshit like that proves that many firearm dealers are poor businessmen or...as you stated...dumbasses.

i understand the concept of markup, overhead and profit, but i fail to understand how they think we can be so stupid as to fall for their $4 markup lines.

Campy...some are for sure liars and BS artists, but I once had a guy tell me something that is all too true...He said that far too many guys get into the gun or gun-related business because they like guns...not because they want to run it like a business. If they were selling washing machines, they would (maybe) use some common sense and take a business attitude, but with guns they go as crazy as a sprayed roach!

I do not know this dealer...but I probably know some like him...and it is entirely possible that he may HAVE only a $4 markup on those mags. Tough shit buddy...that is what the "business" in "Gun Business" is all about...when the demand exceeds the supply, they are all too willing to rip people off for ridiculous prices...but once the supply exceeds demand all they can do is cry in their beer.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Dunlaps Gun and Pawn in Hurricane is going out of business.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#7]
No great loss

Ever deal with Dale Fisher over that way?
He did me pretty good on a P99, and fair on an MT6700.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:38:23 AM EDT
[#8]
have you checked out Makarov.com over in St. Albans. They have a pretty good selection with ok prices. my dad is trying to convince me of building one of their amd 63/65 kits for him, but ive never worked with ak variants.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:44:29 AM EDT
[#9]
didn't know about them till recently will have to check them out.
Used to deal with Larry at Hurricane till he moved.
I usually deal with Bob's out at sissonville.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I like dealing at Bobs also, but usully only for pistols. Their rifles are a bit pricey and it shows. They've had the same 2 bushies for about a year.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:25:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#12]
That's since Bobby jr took over,but they usually do pretty good on the service side and they generally have most anything you would want ie bullets, powders

I live over in the pinch area so hurricane and dunbar are a little bit of a drive

P-38 you make it up here sometime and we can all go shooting
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I will have to check out the place in st albans. I didn't know of any decent gun shops anywhere in this area. If your ever in town IM me and we can go shoot or something.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to live in Clendenin, But now at Chas west side. Do you guys shoot a actual ranges or up the holler like me?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Prices like that, its no wonder ther're going out of business.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I usually go out to Beach Fork's shooting range. Its kinda crappy but does the job. I am trying to get into the Huntington gun club. Much nicer range and they have actual shoots and stuff.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Used to shoot at the Putnam county parks range in Eleanor but lately I have been shooting at Frozen camp in ripley, it is a nice little 200 yrd range that is usually empty in fact I will be out there sunday trying out loads in the 6.8  

If  I'm just going plinking I will go to the old mine site in sanderson nice backstop and plenty of cans to kill.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I go to Kanawha State Forest, and sometimes TEROC (my mom is a retired from the telephone co.). I like the Forest because they have nicer benches and a large pavillion, but are usually crowded (especially this time of year).
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey guys, another Charleston WV guy here.  I don't get out to shoot much, but when I do it is usually Kanawha State Forest.  I have ran into too many crazies out there which has led me looking for something better.  The Putnam Co Gun Club sounded good but I have yet to join.

As for area dealers, the only one worth mentioning is Makarov.com   They are a bit expensive but hella nice guys to deal with.  I try to give them as much business as possible.  I was window shopping once at another area gun shop and eye balling a Bushmaster on the wall.  Guy approached me and got to B.S.ing.  Appearantly I can buy his Bushmaster, send off $200 and get it legally converted to full-auto.  I didn't even argue just  went on my way.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Last time I was at KS forest it was a real dive, no target backers, trash everywhere, all the roof supports shot up and a couple different punks coming and going trying to shoot da 9 holding it sideways and pulling the trigger as fast as possible, and not a one with hearing protection.

I would say Putnam park has to be the best range close to Chas.  and its private to(no punks)

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I will have to check out the place in st albans. I didn't know of any decent gun shops anywhere in this area. If your ever in town IM me and we can go shoot or something.

You should check yout Calvin's in Winfield.  It's right next to the U.S. 35 bridge in back of the hardware store. I usually go through them for my pass-throughs. There's a man named Dave who runs the gun business for Calvin, and he's also secretary for the Putnam Gun Club. The store is a nice little operation and they're really cool to deal with. I got my SA-M7 and STG-58 through them, so I know they've got their FFL on file with both FAC and DSA.

Makarov.com has the best local deals I've seen on ammo, and I bought a sweet Bulgie Mak from them that I had them Molycoat for me.

I used to like to look in Dunlap's, but they are/were really, really high. I've occasionally bought ammo and cleaning supplies there, though.

Pricey? Hell yes. But I hate to see any dealer go out of business.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Last time I was at KS forest it was a real dive, no target backers, trash everywhere, all the roof supports shot up and a couple different punks coming and going trying to shoot da 9 holding it sideways and pulling the trigger as fast as possible, and not a one with hearing protection.

I would say Putnam park has to be the best range close to Chas.  and its private to(no punks)

Ditto on the KSF range. The last time I was there, there was so much trash laying around, the place looked like a landfill.

Too many fools there. I go to Eleanor.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#24]
KSF is out there near umm...crap. Where Dick's sporting goods, petsmart, and all those shopping centers right? Quater G or something maybe? I think I saw the entrance to the park out through there somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#25]
You can go in that way. I always went in by Watt Powell park in KC it's back in the boonies quite a way.

I can get to Eleanor in about the same amount of time and out to Frozen camp in ripley within 10-15min more.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll watch it for you lol.

I don't want to live with my parents anymore. Hey you would know its well armed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
KSF is out there near umm...crap. Where Dick's sporting goods, petsmart, and all those shopping centers right? Quater G or something maybe? I think I saw the entrance to the park out through there somewhere.

The way you're thinking about is out Corridor G. You make a left onto Oakwood Road, make a left at the intersection near George Washington High and then pretty much follow the signs. The road to the range is on your immediate left as soon as you enter the forest. It can be a bit bumpy depending on whether the creek has flooded recently.

Going via Watt Powell is pretty handy if you're coming from the direction of Kanawha City, and plus you get to check out the wildlife at the South Park housing project on your way to the forest.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I would be coming from the other way. I live in barboursville. Which is about 35-40 miles down I-64 from charelston. How bumpy are we talking? I don't know if you guys have ever driven a 1988 camaro with blistein shocks and eibach lowering springs...needless to say the interstate feels rough. If some of you guys actually want to meet and go shoot sometime I would be willing. Be fun to shoot with some fellow "assault" weapon enthusiasts instead of hunters and punks. Corridor G is what I was thinking...knew it sounded something like that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#31]
How much is the membership? If I can't get into the huntington gun club I will look into getting a membership there.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#32]
I think its about 50 this year they had to raise it a couple years ago due to some lib scumbag on the putnam county parks commision who was trying to shut them down to build a golf course
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top