BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 2:51:14 PM EDT
Topic says it all!
I have a CIA WASR-10
really want to refinish it but am not sure which of the many products are the best.

Your input will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

AK_Sobo
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#2]
stain - minwax oil based in a can
finish - minwax poly semi gloss spray
just folow the minwax directions like you would for anything else you stain.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:50:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Refinishing the wood or the metal or both? For the metal I like both Brownell's AlumaHyde II or Gun Kote. Gun Kote bakes on whereas AlumaHyde II has more colors to choose from but takes a week to cure. HTH...
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea, I guess I was in a hurry and didn't specify which - metal or wood.

I'm going to finish buttstock even though I plan to replace it, maybe I'll switch
back to it someday. The foward handgrips fit like crap, and are getting pitched and replaced.

I was mostly wanting to know about finishes for the metal.

With the Brownells or others that come in a spray can - is it possible to get a
really good finished rifle?

Thanks
Jeff
AK_Sobo

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:49:50 AM EDT
[#5]
The first thing i noticed about my WASR-10 was that the "factor" finish was downright poor!  I have heard that it really is nothing more than paint.  After a couple of rapid fire sessions at the range I got the barrel hot enough that the finish was literally cooking off the barrel.
If you had the same problem, you might just go to the local hardware store and get'ya some high temp flat black paint.  It will come out at least as good as what you got with the rifle new and will cost about $5.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:26:25 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're very careful it's possible to get very good results w/the Brownell's "spray can" finishes but you'll get best results if you use an airbrush. HTH...
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#7]
just shoot it and dont worry about the finish
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#8]
What repub18 said.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Yea, Yea
I know I shouldn't worry about it - BUT
A little bit of cosmetic work and these rifles look great!                  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#10]
try the norrels moly resin, link here.
Stickman has experience using the stuff, I'm sure he could give you some tips.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#11]

With the Brownells or others that come in a spray can - is it possible to get a
really good finished rifle?

I refinished my Maddi with the brownwell's alumahyde II. I chose dark park grey but they have black also. I glass beaded the whole thing down to bare metal, cleaned it with brake parts cleaner, shot it, and then let it cure for about a week. The finish is awesome. Lays flat with no blems. No cleaning solvents have touched it either. Shooting mid summer day in the Arizona desert haven't hurt it either.

I recommend it.

just my $.02
-J-
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top