Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/14/2004 5:33:16 PM EDT
Came across one of these in really good shape for about $410 + tax.  It has the laminated Dragonov/butthole type stock.  

Unlike your average AK type, this doesn't look very handy to hold.  I understand the Egyptian AK types are well-made.

What are your opinions on these?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to know the answer to this as well.  I sure wish I knew where I could find one.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If its all matching that would be a great deal.
What part of Texas are you in?
I saw one in a panw shop close to me that had a sear hole,sear and full auto bolt.
Someone was trying to make it run but it still didnt work.
I pointed it out to the owner(Ive known for while)he took to the back and said he was going to have it fixed(as in taking out the parts and welding the holes shut).
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If its all matching that would be a great deal.
What part of Texas are you in?
I saw one in a panw shop close to me that had a sear hole,sear and full auto bolt.
Someone was trying to make it run but it still didnt work.
I pointed it out to the owner(Ive known for while)he took to the back and said he was going to have it fixed(as in taking out the parts and welding the holes shut).

Is this pawn shop in the D/FW area?  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Technically, once a Machinegun, always a Machinegun...

Even if you welded the holes up, it is technically still an illegal machinegun.

Stay away from it like the plague.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#5]
If he welded up the holes and refinished the receiver afterwards, nobody would ever know.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Technically, once a Machinegun, always a Machinegun...

Even if you welded the holes up, it is technically still an illegal machinegun.

Stay away from it like the plague.

KyARGuy

I'm not interested in buying it, I would just like to know what shop it is so I may avoid it.  Whoever is selling it must be one DUMB sumbitch.  

I want one, but I want a good condition LEGITIMATE rifle.  

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Sure it wasn't something like this?

It's a Maadi RPM with US parts to get rid of the thumbhole stock.

I paid $415 for it, already converted to 922(r) compliance
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#8]
No, looked nicer than that, but no bi-pod.  I liked the pharonic headpiece stamped on the trunion.  It isn't in the Dallas area.  If it is a good investment, I'll go get it.  Otherwise, I'll wait to see if I can't get it later on.

What is the concensus at the quality and function?  The barrel certainly looks lightweight for that length.  I can't imagine it would be even AK-accurate after 10 rounds in relatively short order.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:06:43 AM EDT
[#9]

This is a picture of my Egyptian Maadi RPM when purchased.  The RPM has a 20" barrel that is the same diameter as the AKM.   Some of these came with bipods while others did not.  These are fine AK's but a lot of them had poor triggers.  My had terrible trigger slap but this can be easily fixed with a quality US trigger set.  Also, they are know to have a finish which looks like it was applied during a sand storm.

The Maadi's are the closest AK varient to the Russians.  Russia was responsible for the factory in which these are produced.   $410 sounds like a decent price but not a steal.

BTW, a true RPK has a 23" heavy barrel.  Other than having one built the only RPK you can purchase new is the Arsenal Inc RPK.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:57:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Maadi RML purchased in the early 90's.  Does the L stand for light?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top