Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 6:26:22 AM EDT
When you turn 18 are you allowed to own full-auto's and if so what would be the cheapest way to get a full-auto AK-47 or AK-74.  Could you buy the parts kit and have it assembled and fill out the form for it?  Also don't you have to have the local sheriff sign for it and if he does can you shoot it at your house or do you have to go to a special range.  I would've posted in full-auto part but there isn't anybody that replies.  Also has anyone done this and how much did everthing cost in the end.  thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:35:53 AM EDT
[#1]
There is no "cheap" way to get a full auto AK.  In 1986 a ban on the manufacture of new MGs for civilians was passed into law, but there is a grandfather provision.  If you want a full auto AK, you have to buy one that was made and registered prior to that date and comes on a BATF form 4.  I just picked up one for $12,000 and I've seen them as high as $16-17k for a Vietnam bring-back.

As far as shooting, you can shoot a full auto anywhere you'd be allowed to fire any sort of firearm - providing the owner of the property allows it (many ranges don't allow full-auto fire).
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:38:54 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the info so they sell those parts kits as replacements for the full-auto's made before the ban.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:11:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#4]
As replacement parts for civilian legal full autos (aka 'transferables'), as well as for making new guns PROVIDED the new guns have semi-auto only FCG's and comply with all federal regulations and statutes regarding imported weapons.  A licensed manufacturer (07FFL/SOT) can also use those kits to build whats known as a "post-sample" machinegun - a MG that is only legal for the manufacturer to possess while he has his manufacturing license, ostensibly for the purpose of sales to authorized law enforcement agencies.  A class3 dealer can also possess one of these post-samples, but needs to get a letter from the law enforcement agency requesting the demonstration before BATF will approve the transfer.  And with either of these two options, you have to remember that before they lose or relinquish the license they must destroy or sell the post-samples to another FFL/SOT.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When you turn 18 are you allowed to own full-auto's and if so what would be the cheapest way to get a full-auto AK-47 or AK-74.  Could you buy the parts kit and have it assembled and fill out the form for it?  Also don't you have to have the local sheriff sign for it and if he does can you shoot it at your house or do you have to go to a special range.  I would've posted in full-auto part but there isn't anybody that replies.  Also has anyone done this and how much did everthing cost in the end.  thanks

Meet me in troy ohio, bring $250 and 2 large pizzas... I know a guy....

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Club Fed here we come...Troy you say
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#7]
and you gotta be 21.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info looks like I'm not gonna be getting a full-auto.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Civvie FA isn't allowd in Ohio anyway, is it?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Civvie FA isn't allowd in Ohio anyway, is it?

Yes it is.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top