Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/9/2004 3:24:05 PM EDT
I'm an AK newbie who's acquired a MAADI MISR S/A

I want to replace the PistolGrip, GasPiston, and Century FCG .  I'd like to do a U.S. slant brake too, but haven't decided yet since the threads are turned.  I've searched around and seen whats available from Tapco, Global, K-Var, RedStar, RPB , SKSParts and couple others  found via Google.  I have a couple of purchase questions.

-Are all gas pistons created equal? Is the $19  one as good as the $30 as the $40 or is the $40 just a marked up $19 piston?

-For the FCG, the options seem to be RedStar, FSE, and G2.  The adjustable RedStar is a little over my budget, but everybody loves them that I've read.   Are there other brands I should consider?  How does the FSE and G2 compare?  Are these really "drop-in" or do they often require a little grinding,smoothing, etc to get it right.  I would be new to messing around with the internals  and it makes me a bit  nervous.

-Are there any sellers I should stay away from? Any other sellers I should look at?

Thanks much!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I am concerned a gas piston is a gas piston.  I've bought them from Tapco and K-VAR.

The RSA is expensive though I got mine from www.sportsmansguide.com/ when they carried them at a discount. I haven't installed it as I am saving it for a new gun.

The Tapco G2 is a good FCG that I have in 2 rifles and it can be bought from a member here in the equipment exchange for less than Tapco is currently selling for shipped.  Scottgull
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top