Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2004 6:53:01 PM EDT
So guys I meandered over here from the AR side but this is unknown territory....I know little about Ak's except that milled is better than stamped and Poly legends are expensive. I would like the best unbiased opinion on what to get as a inexpensive, reliable shooter. I see there are a number of diff countries, configs etc. and just wanted your opinions on a "shooter"....
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think that milled is better than stamped.  I had two milled AK's built on Bulgarian receivers and I sold or traded them.  I prefer stamped and I think alot of people here prefer the same.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#2]
see how little I know...So whats your recommendation?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#3]
What kind of budget are you working with? The stamped receivers are lighter than milled, generally. You can pick up an cheapo Romanian for $350-400, but you may have to put some work into it - they sometimes aren't put together right. At the other end are the Arsenal Inc SAM-7 series, for $550-up, and they're very nice indeed.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I want the cheapest highest quality .......This is not for a collectors piece, just for blasting....I prefer Ar's because I am comfortable with them, but figure it would be nice to have something different. I cant imagine paying more than $400 for an ak but maybe i am shorttsighted.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#5]
don't worry about stamped - it will last longer than you will
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#6]
You can get WASR romanian guns for cheap. You can get a wasr3 which shoots .223's for 308$ plus shipping and FFL fee.

Go to www.gunsnstuff.net and get a catalog they have all kinds of good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Well I'd like to clarify that a milled reciever is much better than stamped.  People tend to prefer stamped because they are cheaper to buy and alot more AK rifles available are stamped.  That being said, a quality stamped reciever will last you 20,000-30,000 rounds so like others said it really doesn't matter.  Later on when your AK addiction has set in fully you might want to make "copies" of different AKs then you might get into milled if you want a Russian Type III clone for example.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top