Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 1:23:23 PM EDT
Shhheeees.... though I'd attempt to do this until I started talking to Andre at ARSENAL USA/Global in Houston.

My having to drill and grind the hardened steel SLR95 receiver for hours didn't scare me. It's when he told me the muzzle break would have to be changed to a US made muzzle break I became hesitant. He said the barrel threads wouldn't allow easy swapping out. (Or was it he said it had no threads and and I'd need to weld the new one on?)

THEN if that wasn't enough.......... he started informing me that I would have to go to a welder and have a "plate" welded over the opening in the back of the receiver where the plastic thumbhole stock had been. THAT NOW SOUNDED LIKE I'M GOING TO HAVE TO BE TURNING THIS GUN INTO UGLY JERRY-RIGGED CRAP! Why don't I just slap a glob of JBWeld over the hole altogether. Or maybe I can just put a Barbie or Ken mini pair of underwares over the opening like it  was an A-hole.

I'm concluding that it might be easier just to buy an American Made ARSENAL, Inc. (in Nevada not Houston)folder AK rifle already made for $1,000 then have to go through all this.  I don't have my own Jesse in a monster garage waiting to do amazing  make overs for me. (Even his stuff comes out looking and working like crap sometimes!)

HAS ANYBODY ON THESE FORUMS CONVERTED THE THUMBHOLE STOCK SLR 95 TO
AN UNDERFOLDER? I'd sure love to hear from you that it's not as bad as it sounds, and how you did it, before I fully abandon this idea.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I once saw a milled MAK-90 that someone had tried to convert to a underfolder. While they were able to drill the hole thru for the underfolder ok, and made the cuts for the underfolder locking mechanism. The problem they seemed to have run into was covering up the hole at the back of the receiver. It really looked like crap.

Just my 2 cents but unless you have access to the the tools & expertise Campy mentioned, I wouldn't attempt it......

There used to be a company that made a adapter block to mount a sidefolder for the regular milled receivers, Soupbowl enterprises or something like that. They also made a sidefolder adapter block for the angle-cut milled MAK-90 receivers as well. Last I heard they had discontinued those items but am not sure.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top