Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2004 9:58:19 AM EDT
I don't know Jack about military rifles except I like good quality stuff. Some years back I was told to buy the milled Bulgarian SLR 95.  I bought it and just love the look and feel of my SLR's receiver. But I haven't fired it yet, because I'm not sure I can stand it with CRAPPY THUMB HOLE STOCK. YUCK!!!

I need your advice. Can I send it in to a gunsmith and have it modified with new furniture. A folder sure would be nice too. But, I was forwarned that to keep it legal I would likely have to modify it with some US parts, AND BE STUCK USING US MADE MAGAZINES. That's bad.... I kind of think that you ought to be able to use real surplus magazines out there if it's really going to be considered a real AK. Am I  right to feel this way?

My real question is this: Is it worth modifyig this weapon to be able to accept new furniture legally. I don't mind paying some good money if I can put nice furniture on it (maybe a folder stock?), and get it to work reliably with US parts replacement.

OR: SHOULD I JUST GET RID OF THIS RIFLE AND BUY SOMETHING ELSE?

Is there a good quality AK-47 I can buy out there without the stupid thumb hole stock that comes close to the quality of this SLR 95 rifle. I don't know a Romanian, from a Hungarian, to a Chinese or a Russian when comparing the quality to this milled SLR AK-47 I own.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Yo!---CAMPY!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for your swift and intelligent reply. Can anybody else provide a tad more details? I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I need your advice. Can I send it in to a gunsmith and have it modified with new furniture. A folder sure would be nice too. But, I was forwarned that to keep it legal I would likely have to modify it with some US parts, AND BE STUCK USING US MADE MAGAZINES. That's bad.... I kind of think that you ought to be able to use real surplus magazines out there if it's really going to be considered a real AK. Am I  right to feel this way?

--------------

No need to use US mags or followers/floorplates.

Use a complete US stock set  -  (buttstock,handguards,pistol grip )
Use  a US hammer , trigger , disconnector.
Use a US gas piston.

You will need a lower tang installed to make the US buttstock fit solid.

Most of the stuff is available here------   www.k-var.com/store.asp

A folder on a milled receiver is sort of hard and expensive to do though--------
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Use a complete US stock set - (buttstock,handguards,pistol grip )
Use a US hammer , trigger , disconnector.

a milled receiver only need 4 USA part +1 with the foreign brake (US hammer , trigger , disconnector,buttstock,pistol grip =5  

A folder on a milled receiver is sort of hard and expensive to do though--------

yes it is
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]
AKS rule, and Themadhatter,

It's encouraging that you both list practically the same parts to keep it legal, while I still get to use original magazines.

SO THEN  YOU BOTH FEEL THIS  MILLED BULGARIAN AK IS WORTH MODIFYING, INSTEAD OF SCRAPPING IT AND BUYING AN AK THE WAY I WANT IT?

Themadhatter,
Handsome kid..... I see you're not raising him to be no "girlieman"! hat
Can you guys recommend someone who is competent and honest can do the work without butchering up everything?

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Obershutze,
Ok, I'm hearing you say it's worth keeping. While I've got you........If I were looking to buy a folder  AK47, which is the best quality gun to seek? Which distributor, manufacturer or origin of country should I be looking for? (that is commonly being distributed and sold )

I realize most out there now are stamped receivers, and inferior barrels, not like my Bulgarian milled SLR95 I bought 4 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Obershutze,

Thanks a bunch for the info. I'm in AK Heaven!!!!!!!! I just found out ARSENAL, the original manufacture/distributor of the SLR 95 is located in the Houston area about an hour from me!
I was in their site and found a very nice selection of hardware. They even have the black plastic butt and grip to match the already existing forearm on my rifle, as well as the BATF parts group. They also have a nice looking folding stock too for $49. that was the original Bulgarian stock taken off the rifle. How's that for stupid ass laws?????...... My having to buy a folding stock in the after market, that was originally on the rifle, but taken off at the factory, so I can put it back on myself!! (That even sounds retarded) They say on their websitethat "extensive" modifications are necessary to put the folder on. But, if you say I can probably do it, then I have confidence I can.  I am a tradesman by career, and have also spent years building Radio Control Airplanes and other  stuff. - Dremels, wrenches, and hobby tools are no stranger to me.

I'm getting worried shidless that Kerry can get in. I feel like NOW is the time to buy youR AR's and Ak's. When they finish with us, I'm sure THAT NO VARIENTS OF ANY KIND of ugly rifle will be allowed! Because you've got me convinced that milled receivers are the way to go, I might even seek another SLR95 on GUNS AMERICA or at the next Gun Show, just to have two different AK rifles: a folder, and a regular!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Obershutze,

Thanks a bunch for the info. I'm in AK Heaven!!!!!!!! I just found out ARSENAL, the original manufacture/distributor of the SLR 95 is located in the Houston area about an hour from me!

Nooooooooooo

SLR-95's are 100% Bulgarian made imports.  They are one of if not the finest AK variant out there.  I have owned one for years.

Last year, I spent the time and money to do the conversion on mine.  I added the black polymer stock from KVAR as well as the RSA FCG.  I also went as far as changing out the FSB and gas block with ones that had the provision for the cleaning rod.  I removed the Bulgarian muzzle brake and threaded the barrel.  I recently replaced the '74 type brake with an A2 style birdcage FH.

I did all the work myself.  The hardest job by far was milling out the rear of the receiver to accept the lower stock tang.  I used a hand file and it took several hours to do it right.  That Bulgarian steel is HARD!

Was it worth it?  In my case I say yes.  I bought the gun years ago new for $275 and all the parts were less than $250.  It was more a learning experience than anything else.  It was my first attempt at any AK smithing and I learned a lot.  You will have to make the decision for yourself.  From what you have said, I would urge you to sell the 95 and buy a US made milled gun from Arsenal, Inc. here in Vegas.  They offer most of the quality of the imported guns but already come in a more traditional configuration.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Man I love the looks of those underfolders. They won't clear a 30 round mag tho with they?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Rickinvegas,

Hmmm.....Somehow the Arsenal USA and Globetrades Website was listing them
in Houston, TX, and not in Vegas as you say.

www.globaltrades.com/

Anyway, I don't know what you do for a living and if it involves using your hands like I do, but anything you can do, I can do better.hobbies,
Seriously, your rifle looks very nice!

I would be very hesitant to purchase a US made AK receiver without hearing tons of praise from a lot of people about it, as the B-West and Hesse US made rifles were pretty bad.

It's nice to have a Bulgarian receiver and bulk of parts in our hands anyway. After what I'm hearing from you and others, it seems working with these Bulgarian milled guns are worthe the trouble and hanging onto. But, I thought it would be safe to buy the parts directly from ARSENAL, the distributor. (instead of the company you named)If you get a chance check what they have to offer, and see if you think they look fine to you. It would be easier for me to deal with them, and get advice from them right here in Houston. (Though my luck they will refuse customer drop-ins at their place)
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They won't clear a 30 round mag

Sure they will.  They won't clear anything larger though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Rickinvegas,

Hmmm.....Somehow the Arsenal USA and Globetrades Website was listing them
in Houston, TX, and not in Vegas as you say.

Arsenal USA/Global trades is in Texas.  Arsenal, Inc. is in Vegas.  Different companies.

Here is their website
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:51:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:43:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I had to add the lower tang as well on mine.  Damn armoured steel.  Otherwise, dman fine rifle.

Others here might know why the folder would be hard to install.  It might be because most folders are made for stamped receivers and the SLR receiver is milled. You might want to look in to that.

Hopefully as I contact ARSENAL in Houston to purchase parts, they would be familiar enough with the procedure  (of converting to a folding stock) to advise me accuratly about it. I guess I'll find out how efficient their customer PR is.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Here is my SLR95 after an InRange conversion:

Shown with Bipod, and PKASV from Tantal.

I love this rifle. I would not sell yours if I were you. You would end up regretting it.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks Great Stormtrooper,

As long I can legally change mine to a folder variety, (or at least a regular full stock) I'm definitely keeping it.

But my latest confusion is discovering the availability of the SLR 101 with the same Bulgarian milled receiver and full AK stock. (unlike my SLR 95 with the stupid thumbhole stock.) I thought I read on another site that the SLR 101  was available with a single stack magazine well. But one guy here claims to own one he bought early this year that takes regular mags. If that's the case I'd buy a full stocked SLR 101, and purchase a folder and conversion parts for my SLR95.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#19]
All of the SLR101s were imported as single stacks due to the import laws.  The ones that accept double stack mags had the magwells opened up here.  That is why you see both single stack and double stack mag versions.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top