Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2004 8:31:37 AM EDT
I just installed my ultimak on my MAK90. Was it a little shorter than your original gas piston?

Also what red-dot are you using? I am using a bushnell trophy and it is nice but it is to small in diameter to use my open sights. I'm not thrilled about that. I may have to take it back to get something else. Because if something happens and the batteries die or whatever I would like to be able to use my open sights.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple of AK's with the Ultimak and a red dots on them. The mount is a little shorter to allow for expansion, or so they say. I just centered mine with a little on each end and they have worked fine. I have a 30mm Bushnell Trophy on my AK103K. You need to get the lowest rings you can if you want to be able to use your iron sights too. Even with low 30mm rings, I can only use my irons when set to 400m or higher. I do have QD rings on the sight, so if it were ever a problem, its off pretty quick. I do like the dot in the circle reticule that the Bushnell has the best of any of them. I have a 1" Tasco Pro Point on my SAR. With low rings I can co-witness the irons no trouble. I used to have one of the cheapie BSA dots with the mount attached to the sight on the SAR. That will let you co-witness too and as cheap as they are, they work well. The Ultimak and a dot sight are a big leap ahead for the AK, I think you'll like it once you see how well it works.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a ultimak on a AKUSA AK104.  Works well.  As stated just center it up between the extremes.  It'll run.  I'm using a PK01 weaver mount that I got from Yuri (free plug!) at www.freedomoptics.com  Works great.  This is the only pic I have.  You can see it at the bottom of the picture.  Looks long because of the sunshade.  

Edited to add, yes it could have been pointed in a better direction, but it was completely empty, (verified) and nobody was near it.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Where did you get the QD rings at? I like the bushnell red-dot besides not being at to co-site. I may have to go ring shopping soon. Do the QD ones just have something you can work with your hand instead of tools?

The ultimak is sweet I was afraid of spening that kinda cash on something because I was afraid it would be a pile. But it is a nice solid piece. And I have a feeling a well sighted in red-dot is gonna go wonders for my accuracy. Plus it will be much much easier to get off quick shots. If It does well I may have to hunt with this gun. Long as I can make some decent groups with it I will probably hunt deer with it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]
QD ring would be nice, the ones that came on the PK01 were just the right height.  Its the ONLY way to run an AK, if you want to shoot it fast and accurate.  Its a great piece of gear.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought it wouldn't be that great because it didn't offer magnification. But after just messing around and stuff I realize it is going to be much better. So much easier to line up on a target. Plus you don't have to focus at all really. Both eyes open...center the dot. Its nice actually. I'm excited to go shoot it. I think I will do much better. I am going to go look for some rings tomorrow and see what I can find. Dick's had a lot of rings...I will go take a look at some of them. Overall I think I will be happy with the ultimak....it looks really badass to. Much scarier looking gun now
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd be happy with 4'' groups lol.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:12:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Most of the Weaver type rings have a knob with a large screw head on them that you can either just use your fingers, or if its too tight, a coin or a key, etc. I havent been able to find any "low low" rings, but I keep looking. All I need is a skosh more down for my Bushnell. I think you will see your see your groups shrink, especially the deliberately aimed ones. Snap shooting is fast and easy and you will see good hits with these type shots and out farther too.

This is slow fire from my SAR at 100 fired prone:

And these were 2 second snap shots from a low ready at 50(R) and 100(L):
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:41:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Put on an Aimpoint with the factory ring that comes in the box. It will cowitness with your irons just fine.

Luck,

SD
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top