Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 9:10:38 PM EDT
I have been a long time AR owner and shooter. I have been contemplating making the jump into the AK world. I see the AK as 1) a fun and inexpensive range gun as well as 2) a good addition to the tactical family.

I haven't made the jump yet as the AK world is so overwhelming with variations, dealers, kits, etc.

I really like some of the more popular dealers known here on ARFcom/AKnet like Krebs, ORF, AK-103.

I would like an AK-103, but am thinking that defeats the purpose of what I am looking for (cheap), Would like to stick to the traditional 7.62X39 caliber to begin with. What are the thoughts on the 5.45X39 rounds? Ballastically, at ranges of 300 yds and under, is it a better performer?

I have enough calibers and magazine types to keep up with (.223, .308, .45ACP, etc) so adding another caliber/mag type is a logistical challenge to begin with (I like to stay 'stocked' up). Maybe if the first goes well, maybe I will add another AK variant.

What are the thoughts on the Romanian WASR-10 from AIM Surplus?

Are there better buys to be had?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I love mine.  Looks like a good buy. VERY reliable and you almost never have to clean it.

You can't beat the price of ammo and mags.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#2]
You never have to clean it but I clean my all the time. No reason to leave a dirty gun laying around...not to mention they can rust if they are not kept clean and oiled.

AK type weapons are very reliable and the WSAR-10s are no exceptions. However the wsar-10s seem to be alittle "rougher" looking than some other varients. Shoots just as good though. Buddies wsar-10 looks alittle more "military" like than my MAK does. Blueing isn't as good, some of the parts aren't mechined as well. But came with a pistol grip stock and shoots just as good as my MAK.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I would get that gun and replace the trigger, BTW ORF has a WASR10 upgrade if your interested
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I went out shooting today and cleaned all 3 rifles.  Can't stand seeing my AK's dirty, though I have been know to throw the AR's in the safe dirty.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:42:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:25:46 AM EDT
[#6]
The AK was my 1st gun when I got back into the hobby of shooting. I have a SAR 1.  It may not be shiny and have great looking wood furniture but it goes bang everytime you pull the trigger. The mags  and the ammo 7.62x39  are not expensive. I picked up Bulgarian 30 rounders for about 6 bucks each. You can have a lot of fun for very little money...
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:13:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome To The Dark Side! The WASR is a good entry level AK,the only difference between it and the SAR is the lack of mag well dimples found on AKM variants.That said,there have been many AKs captured in Iraq that did not have the dimples,cheaper to produce.

With an AK,you're not limited to one look.Stock sets are plentiful and compatable,a Romy sidefolder will mount right up with no modification and,as stated before,mags and ammo are plentiful.This alone will help your logistical problem,for a couple hundred bucks you can have a thousand rounds of ammo and fifteen to twenty mags.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:21:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks to everyone who responded. I am seriously thinking of joining the 'Dark Side'.

Where is the best place for trigger groups and furniture as well as the side folder?

Quoted:
I picked up Bulgarian 30 rounders for about 6 bucks each.

Where can these be found????

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks to everyone who responded. I am seriously thinking of joining the 'Dark Side'.

Where is the best place for trigger groups and furniture as well as the side folder?

Quoted:
I picked up Bulgarian 30 rounders for about 6 bucks each.

Where can these be found????

Since it's a semi-auto you can get a double hook trigger from Tapco, got them in Bulgarian 74 and my Polish 47.....
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#11]
This is FIRST CLASS.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:56:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:27:05 AM EDT
[#13]
thompsondd Noob question..Can you give the were to buy, who makes and how much on the side folder that was posted?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
This is FIRST CLASS.

www.ak-103.com/gallery/AK-104/img_cus_scope-1_lg.jpg

I'm normally not an AK fan, just browsing for some info for some friends.. But I've got to say that's a damn fine looking rifle.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Thompson... What kind of AK is that? A 7.62 or 5.45? I am thinking of going with the same style on the muzzle brake for a SAR1 instead of the AK 74 brake.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#16]
That's an AK-104 from (ironically) AK-103.com. It is a smaller version of the AK for mechanized and airborne troops in the good ole 7.62X39mm
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I have recently purchased a WASR 10, and it seems to be a great entry level AK variant, especially for the price.  The AR is a lot of fun, but I gotta say the AK is more fun to shoot when you're just out for some blasting!  My AR is great for targets and long range shooting, but when I want to just blow the hell out of some ammo & make noise, the AK is awesome!  If I was in urban combat, I would choose the AK over the AR any day........not everyone will agree with this, but I say that based on MY experience with both rifles.  Just my .02.....I'd recommend getting a WASR 10 or something in that range to start with........you can't go wrong!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top