Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/30/2004 4:55:10 PM EDT
Hey all, I just got my first AK.  It's a used Arsenal USA SSR-85-C.  It's nicer than the SARs and EXACTLY what I wanted and I got it reasonable, but have a few questions.

1: I need a sling for it.  I was told the rifle is a Polish PMKMS parts kit built on a Hungarian receiver.  Is this correct?  Since the rifle is (supposedly) mostly Polish, I was told I should get a "Polish" sling for it, which would be a blue sling.  Is this correct?  I saw that Arsenal USA has blue slings on their website and I kind of like the look of it.  I've never seen one with a blue sling, and it's the cheapest one, which is a bonus.  I don't like the leather slings, so it's basically down to blue or green, and I want the blue one, as I feel that green is overdone.  Should I get the blue one because it's what I want and say "hell with the purists"?  It IS my rifle and I'm the one taking it home every day...

2: Where could I get a retaining clip for the hammer axis pin?  The gun doesn't have the "shepard's crook", but it seems the pins are held in with individual clips.  The hammer pin is missing it's clip and every time the hammer moves, the pin pops out 1/16" of an inch.  The gun still functions perfectly fine (It's an AK), but I want it to be 100%, and can't find ANYWHERE that just sells a replacement clip.  It can't cost more than five cents anyway.

3: The trigger pull is light.  "Hair-Trigger" comes to mind.  It's a single-hook trigger and it still has the full sear-length (compared it to a buddy's SAR), but it's smooth as polished glass and breaks at MAYBE 2-2.5 pounds.  Perfect for bumpfiring or precision work, but it just feels too light for a "military" trigger.  My buddy's SAR's trigger was atrocious in comparison, more like what I thought it would feel like.  It doesn't seem unsafe, but I am wondering, should it be THAT light?

Sorry for the longwided questions, but I'm new to this AK scene and am wanting some guidance.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome To The Dark Side! First off we'll talk about the sling,all of the Polish slings I've seen are green and well made.Being the purist that I am,I would use the Polish sling but if you want blue there are alot of blue East German slings around.I may possibly have one,I'll look tomorrow and if so,you're welcome to it.

You can get small clips at your local hardware store to replace the missing clip.

As for the trigger pull,it would be hard to compare a cheap US compliant CAI FCG [found in the SAR1] to a good quality US FCG that you probably have in your rifle.If you feel comfortable with your existing trigger,I would'nt change it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Welcome To The Dark Side! First off we'll talk about the sling,all of the Polish slings I've seen are green and well made.Being the purist that I am,I would use the Polish sling but if you want blue there are alot of blue East German slings around.I may possibly have one,I'll look tomorrow and if so,you're welcome to it.

You can get small clips at your local hardware store to replace the missing clip.

As for the trigger pull,it would be hard to compare a cheap US compliant CAI FCG [found in the SAR1] to a good quality US FCG that you probably have in your rifle.If you feel comfortable with your existing trigger,I would'nt change it.

Ahh, so the Blue sling is East German!!!  Well that solves THAT mystery, thanks.  I think I'll go with the blue one.  Ok, so it's the wrong sling, but I like it and it's MY rifle!  If you find the one you are willing to part with, PM me or let me know.

I'll drive out the hammer pin and take it to the store to find a matching clip.  I'm sure I can find one, but I wanted to be sure.

I LOVE the trigger.  I'll leave it as is.  If I develop a push-off problem, or anything else unsafe, I'll replace the parts, but I'll run with it for now.

Thanks JOHNO!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats the great thing about AKs,you can dress it up in almost any Countries furniture you want to.The basic AKM looks about the same,just slight differences in stock sets and slings.Before long you'll have a side folder and several different stock sets,just for a change.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:45:01 AM EDT
[#4]
 Pin-Rec

Might want to just go ahead and disassemble the fire control group rather than driving the hammer pivot out.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:05:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hey all, I just got my first AK.  

2: Where could I get a retaining clip for the hammer axis pin?  The gun doesn't have the "shepard's crook", but it seems the pins are held in with individual clips.  

3: The trigger pull is light.  "Hair-Trigger" comes to mind.  

Red Star Arms has a retaining "plate" that I installed on my SAR 1, never had any problems since I did this mod, they also have triggers, but I haven't ordered one.  I did get a Ms. Red Star Arms tee-shirt though .

ETA: I also picked up a peep sight that I installed on my Norcino 92, bitch to get on and I made the mistake of playing with the adjustment screw before sighting in the rifle, now I have to head to the range with a bottle of lock tight and reset the screw.

Have fun with the rifle, it's a great design.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:56:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I found it,IM me your address and I'll get it on its way to you.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sounds good. I'll just add a suggestion to get a circlip plier with the points at a 90deg angle on the end for working down in the receiver.

If you think the trigger is getting too light, give it the bump test. Empty chamber, hand cycle action, grab bbl, thump on ground. If it goes click/hammer falls, it's not a field gun anymore. A trick usually reserved for pimped .22s.

I did that test and the hammer did not fall.  I think it's good to go.  I've got some of those pliers, so that should help install.

JOHNO, you've got an IM!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll stick it in the mail Monday!Just let me know when it gets there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'll stick it in the mail Monday!Just let me know when it gets there.

No problem!  Can't wait!

Thanks again.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top